Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lack of squad depth will cost us

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Should have replaced Trossard, now Ferguson is injured our forward line is powderpuff once Welbeck gets tired. No obvious replacement for Estupinian means no rotation.

Fact is several of our players tonight looked so tired they could have been drunk, Caicedo and Dunk particularly. The games keep coming and the squad is threadbare.

Some will say this is a very negative view, but it’s realistic.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Should have replaced Trossard, now Ferguson is injured our forward line is powderpuff once Welbeck gets tired. No obvious replacement for Estupinian means no rotation.

Fact is several of our players tonight looked so tired they could have been drunk, Caicedo and Dunk particularly. The games keep coming and the squad is threadbare.

Some will say this is a very negative view, but it’s realistic.
Sounds like prediction to me …out of curiosity were you saying the same during the January transfer window?

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Can’t believe professional football players can’t play a game on Sunday , then on Wednesday,
I suppose they will be tired on Saturday as well
ridiculous

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
After Sunday's disappointment, it was a bad day at the office.

Hopefully back to winning ways at home on Saturday.

Villa have Man United away. Liverpool at home to Spurs. Plenty of dropped points there.

Europe is still very much in our hands.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
This can’t be true as I was told repeatedly in the “Team for Forest” thread that we have to play every one of our best players, for every game, from now until the end of the season.

From the first few pages;

Not for me. Need a strong squad and I’d not be surprised if it is unchanged (where possible) from Sunday. Give the players a chance to get it out their minds and a couple of goals and assists from Solly will make him feel much better with many renditions of “Solly, Solly Maaaaaaaaarch”

This isn’t a cup game. We still have an outside chance of CL and a strong chance of Europe. That means winning every game possible and fielding the strongest XI.

No time for rotation now, full strength squad every game if players are fit and ready.

This, and even if we do want to rotate, Forest away when the players will be desperate to put in a good performance after the disappointment of Sunday is not the game to do it in.

In the five games that followed Solly's penalty miss at Charlton, he scored four goals and got three assists. He doesn't need protecting. He needs to play.

Forest is one of our most winnable games remaining, and it’s in 2 days.

Why weaken our team for a crucial fixture? Estupinan plays if he’s fit. He’ll keep playing until he’s not, as should all of our first team players.

Not being funny, I just could foresee tonight and am surprised RDZ’s selection wasn’t braver.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We have the squad we have and can afford. They have done very well this year. 8th in the Premier League. We don't have the depth of Manchester City, Arsenal etc because we don't have the resources. Yet we still have a chance of Europe.

Disappointing tonight. They looked jaded and it was a cauldron of noise for Forest. Nothing to moan about really.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Can’t believe professional football players can’t play a game on Sunday , then on Wednesday,
I suppose they will be tired on Saturday as well
ridiculous
Weird take.

Firstly, they can play on a Sunday then a Wednesday - most of them did. But another team who hasn't done that will be fresher.

Secondly, it's the injuries that's costing us, not fitness. We're having to rely on the teenagers and have no-one who can come off the bench and change the game.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
We have the squad we have and can afford. They have done very well this year. 8th in the Premier League. We don't have the depth of Manchester City, Arsenal etc because we don't have the resources. Yet we still have a chance of Europe.

Disappointing tonight. They looked jaded and it was a cauldron of noise for Forest. Nothing to moan about really.
The only thing I’m moaning about is the poor team selection. This one is on the gaffer, but he will learn from this for the next game. Expect a much changed team.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I said the same in January, too reliant on the starting XI. Didn't replace Mwepu either now Caicedo/Mac Allister have the play every minute.
Unfortunately to many on here thought our kids could step in and replace quality players like Trossard and Mwepu. Lamptey now out for the season also.
I still believe it will come down to last game to see if we qualify for Europe.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Lack of depth meant we couldn’t sub off players having a bad game as no one to replace them with.
Dunk should've been off for Veltman/Webster/JPvH after 60 mins, he was all over the place. Gilmour or Veltman should've been on for Gross or Caicedo around the same time.

I love RDZ but that was on him tonight.

I don't think Buonanotte looks PL quality yet either if I'm totally honest, and Enciso is nowhere near as effective when starting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here