Labour

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Umunna now out of the shadow cabinet.

This will be the most inexperienced Labour front bench ever.

Who is the deputy again?

Oh, and the prospective London Mayor?

Feels like the Labour party is imploding.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Dianne Abbot for Shadow Home Secretary, anyone?

Laughing stock.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The fact that so many of the public believe these myths about Labour suggests that public gullibility is JC's biggest worry.

A message from the 1970s on state spending
"We used to think you could spend your way out of recession and increase employment by boosting government spending,” boomed the Prime Minister, Jim Callaghan, at the 1976 Labour Party conference.
“I tell you, in all candour,” he went on, “that that option no longer exists. And in so far as it ever did exist, it only worked on each occasion… by injecting a bigger dose of inflation into the economy, followed by a higher level of unemployment as the next step…”
The above words are among the most important uttered in the history of modern British politics. For a left-wing prime minister to have admitted that too much state spending is dangerous, while being barracked by a rabble of bearded Trotskyists from among his own party ranks, marked a turning-point in Western economic policymaking.
For it was in 1976 that the UK government had been rescued by the International Monetary Fund. After years of industrial subsidies, soft-budget constraints and Keynesian hubris, Britain was insolvent – unable to service its debts. After months of denial, the markets forced Callaghan’s government, “cap in hand”, to seek an IMF bail-out.
On that day, all notions that the UK remained a world-class economy, an industrial powerhouse, were exposed as nonsense. It was this country’s “economic Suez”.
What brought Britain to that disgraceful nadir was a lot of self-serving ideas about the wisdom of near-limitless government largesse. The “Keynesian consensus” had been that the state could borrow and spend practically ad infinitum, that “pump-priming” the economy was “the right thing to do”.
By stating the obvious, “Sunny Jim” smashed up that consensus. His criticism of “big government” amounted to political blasphemy. Callaghan’s words, however, were the high-water mark of Keynesian economics – which afterwards rapidly retreated. We had tried high state spending and it didn’t work. All it did was produce ghastly inefficiencies, inflation and, worst of all, expose supposedly sovereign governments to the wrath of their private-sector creditors.

Yep we all want this type of thinking again.........................not.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
A message from the 1970s on state spending
"We used to think you could spend your way out of recession and increase employment by boosting government spending,” boomed the Prime Minister, Jim Callaghan, at the 1976 Labour Party conference.
“I tell you, in all candour,” he went on, “that that option no longer exists. And in so far as it ever did exist, it only worked on each occasion… by injecting a bigger dose of inflation into the economy, followed by a higher level of unemployment as the next step…”
The above words are among the most important uttered in the history of modern British politics. For a left-wing prime minister to have admitted that too much state spending is dangerous, while being barracked by a rabble of bearded Trotskyists from among his own party ranks, marked a turning-point in Western economic policymaking.
For it was in 1976 that the UK government had been rescued by the International Monetary Fund. After years of industrial subsidies, soft-budget constraints and Keynesian hubris, Britain was insolvent – unable to service its debts. After months of denial, the markets forced Callaghan’s government, “cap in hand”, to seek an IMF bail-out.
On that day, all notions that the UK remained a world-class economy, an industrial powerhouse, were exposed as nonsense. It was this country’s “economic Suez”.
What brought Britain to that disgraceful nadir was a lot of self-serving ideas about the wisdom of near-limitless government largesse. The “Keynesian consensus” had been that the state could borrow and spend practically ad infinitum, that “pump-priming” the economy was “the right thing to do”.
By stating the obvious, “Sunny Jim” smashed up that consensus. His criticism of “big government” amounted to political blasphemy. Callaghan’s words, however, were the high-water mark of Keynesian economics – which afterwards rapidly retreated. We had tried high state spending and it didn’t work. All it did was produce ghastly inefficiencies, inflation and, worst of all, expose supposedly sovereign governments to the wrath of their private-sector creditors.

Yep we all want this type of thinking again.........................not.

Good post

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
I"m interested in what he has to say.I do honestly think that it spells disaster for labour but I will listen to him out of courtesy. When the dust settles and people realise what he is all about, then is the right time to make up one's mind. If he adopts policies left of what Miliband was proposing then Labour will be in the wilderness until they come to their senses.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I"m interested in what he has to say.I do honestly think that it spells disaster for labour but I will listen to him out of courtesy. When the dust settles and people realise what he is all about, then is the right time to make up one's mind. If he adopts policies left of what Miliband was proposing then Labour will be in the wilderness until they come to their senses.

Good point. I too am imterested i pn what he has to say. I am at the oppoisite end to him but he deserves hearing and i suspect it will sharpen the other parties up

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Corbyn will unfortunately only last a couple of years max. Would love to see him going for PM. If Sadiq Khan wins London Mayor for Labour, everyone will get behind Corbyn

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Andy Burnham Shadow Home Secretary ...saw a quote about him today ..something along the lines of it would be like following a drunk driver as he swerved to the left and the right and back again during the campaign

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Labour are now in the political wilderness but will attract attention in the way that Victorian freak shows did.

Conference will be a disaster and the PLP will move by Christmas to oust Corbyn and elect somebody in touch will modern political reality.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
The debt they left when replaced made us virtually bankrupt. Do we want that again? I hope to never see another labour government and I intend to live another 10 - 15 years. In my time I have never seen a successful one.

it was the banks that nearly made us bankrupt
laugh it up tory boys your government are shitting themselves(even had a meeting about how to stop any Labour success) JC will be a thorn it the side of this government for its duration.
JC is obviously someone the great British public want to listen to instead of the drab soft middle of the road rubbish we have had for years.
soft, U-turn dave will never last the coarse if the right wingers have their way, Europe will do for him, and his own party will stab him in the back

Last edited:

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
As long as he is like Tony Benn and he looks after the British people. O but wait where was he today not fighting the corner for the British homeless or the British hungry on our shores, the elderly British people who fought in world wars like **** he was. He outlined his love right from the off and it certainly won't be for the British people values, culture or heritage.
Says our man in New Zealand. Fancy that!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The country was never bankrupt under Labour. Just another of those phrases that, repeated often enough, people start to believe.

Of course the country wasn't bankrupt, because that's virtually impossible. But you can't brush under the carpet that after the 2001 election Blair and Brown went bonkers with public spending and ran it at a large defecit to facilitate a huge public sector workforce. They didn't cause the global financial crisis, but we would've been in a much better position to cope had they balanced the books better during the boom years, the one's Gordon Brown claimed would go on forever.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
it was the banks that nearly made us bankrupt
laugh it up tory boys your government are shitting themselves(even had a meeting about how to stop any Labour success) DC will be a thorn it the side of this government for its duration.
DC is obviously someone the great British public want to listen to instead of the drab soft middle of the road rubbish we have had for years.
soft, U-turn dave will never last the coarse if the right wingers have their way, Europe will do for him, and his own party will stab him in the back

Is DC David Cameron ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports