Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Labour has suspended former leader Jeremy Corbyn

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Mate, you've got this one completely wrong. The equivalent of "we were nowhere near as antisemitic as the Nazis" was the wrong thing to say today.

Corbyn had chance after chance after chance to sort this out. He failed every time.

View attachment 129901

You were consistent on this throughout, not afraid to speak out despite your loyalty to Labour.

Proved correct yet again. Doffs cap.

Note today's kneejerk deniers have zero intention of even looking at the report.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He's not been suspended for what the report says. He's been suspended for what he said about the report - that's scarcely a smear.

All he had to do was accept its findings and move on. I have some sympathy for Corbyn and the way that he's been demonised but not in this case, he's brought this on himself.

This.

Corbyn reminds me of loads of people I come across: well-meaning, old fashioned, naive about countless issues, and sadly devoid of leadership skills.

I have on occasion myself considered seeking 'high office' (in my field, not in mainstream politics, heaven forfend) but experience has taught me that my competance vanishes exponentially the greater the number of 'colleagues' there are for me to deal with who hold a stake in the game. Anyone with the sort of personality that gets so easily exasperated they put people on 'ignore' at the drop of a hat are constitutionally unfit to lead anything more than a small team, and run the risk of repeated disciplinary hearings for 'upsetting' the dimbot contingency among colleagues, those who don't understand a joke or a simple request. The *****. Ahem. :whistle:

In Corbyn's case we have a man who has survived in an echo chamber his entire life, and simply doesn't get it when reality pricks at the bubble of his preconceptions.

I don't want or expect a purge of the left, now. Starmer won't do that. But he won't tolerate ****wittery either. If you consider you may need to dig someone out you need to be ready with a shovel. Starmer has a very shiny shovel, with a new bit of mud on it. Corbyn now has oodles of time to reflect upon how his successor possesses the decisiveness he himself so palpably lacked.

Which is nice. :shrug:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Certainly are.

He lost the election.

His policies shared the shit out of the electorate.

He’s been suspended for racism.

He shared a platform with Gerry Adams at a time when the IRA was terrorising Northern Ireland.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He did lose the election but managed to see the biggest increase in the Labour vote since WW2, small victory in the grand scheme of things I grant you.

His policies were overwhelmingly popular actually (see below)

He may have been suspended but it wasn’t for racism. Moreover, if you think he’s racist you’ve not been paying attention to his work for the last 40 years

He received the Gandhi International Peace Award and the Seán MacBride Peace Prize for his sustained and powerful political work for disarmament and peace during the troubles. Yes, he met with Adams. As did Thatcher (in secret), in loony land was she pro IRA too?

C239D5BD-D387-4F2E-AC7B-F09BE4EF8CFB.png

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
He’s been suspended for racism.

That isn't true though. He's been suspended for saying he doesn't agree with all the points of the report and for blaming the press / Labour opponents for overplaying the issue.

After refusing to retract the comments he was suspended.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He did lose the election but managed to see the biggest increase in the Labour vote since WW2, small victory in the grand scheme of things I grant you.

He may have been suspended but it wasn’t for racism. Moreover, if you think he’s racist you’ve not been paying attention to his work for the last 40 years

He received the Gandhi International Peace Award and the Seán MacBride Peace Prize for his sustained and powerful political work for disarmament and peace during the troubles. Yes, he met with Adams. As did Thatcher (in secret), in loony land is she pro IRA too?

View attachment 129902

This may be all true (apart from the 'overwhelmingly popular' bit. Come off it!). However....he's gone!

let it go.gif

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

He received the Gandhi International Peace Award and the Seán MacBride Peace Prize for his sustained and powerful political work for disarmament and peace during the troubles. Yes, he met with Adams. As did Thatcher (in secret), in loony land is she pro IRA too?

View attachment 129902

The IRA thing is a bit of a thread derail. However, it is worth pointing out that there is a big difference between a Prime Minister/Government meeting a proscribed terrorist organization and a private individual doing the same. Anyway, perhaps it is just another example of Corbyn’s naivity as exhibited once again today. Whichever way you look at it he is a bit of a liability so Starmer must be quietly pleased that in the end he has been so easy to get rid of.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
The IRA thing is a bit of a thread derail. However, it is worth pointing out that there is a big difference between a Prime Minister/Government meeting a proscribed terrorist organization and a private individual doing the same. Anyway, perhaps it is just another example of Corbyn’s naivity as exhibited once again today. Whichever way you look at it he is a bit of a liability so Starmer must be quietly pleased that in the end he has been so easy to get rid of.

I’m not interested in derailing the thread, that particular honour goes to Lower West Stander. I will however challenge the absolute nonsense that comes out of people’s mouths, figuratively speaking of course.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

View attachment 129902

He oversaw that increase in votes from a very low base, against a strife riven Tory party and May.

Then oversaw the worst Labour GE in almost a century.

He was duplicitous over Brexit, pretending to be a heart felt Remainer in the south, the opposite in Wales, the north and midlands.

He failed to deal with criminal antisemites.

He wasn’t a peace maker in Ireland. He didn’t meet Unionists. He wanted a united Ireland as part of his overall always be the opposite agenda. He was against NATO. He found it hard to criticise Putin, due probably to his fondness for the USSR, despite Putin’s regime being fascist/aggressively nationalistic.

He was career anti EEC/EC/EU, yet kept quiet about that in his leadership years.

He voted repeatedly against Labour policies from 1997 to 2010.

His incompetence and Brexit non-stance, with an awful shadow cabinet, helped a right wing crushing victory in 2019.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
He oversaw that increase in votes from a very low base, against a strife riven Tory party and May.

Then oversaw the worst Labour GE in almost a century.

He was duplicitous over Brexit, pretending to be a heart felt Remainer in the south, the opposite in Wales, the north and midlands.

He failed to deal with criminal antisemites.

He wasn’t a peace maker in Ireland. He didn’t meet Unionists. He wanted a united Ireland as part of his overall always be the opposite agenda. He was against NATO. He found it hard to criticise Putin, due probably to his fondness for the USSR, despite Putin’s regime being fascist/aggressively nationalistic.

He was career anti EEC/EC/EU, yet kept quiet about that in his leadership years.

He voted repeatedly against Labour policies from 1997 to 2010.

His incompetence and Brexit non-stance, with an awful shadow cabinet, helped a right wing crushing victory in 2019.

As much as I’d love to get in to this particular discussion re Corbyn, it’s been done to death and, as stated above, I have no wish to derail the thread. Rest assured however, we would have had a great back and fourth and at the end of the discussion we’d still be entrenched in our views. But well played all the same :thumbsup:

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
And continuing to elect unelectable Leaders.
It's a vicious circle though. Having a choice of only 11 candidates, one of whom was a previous leader, means you haven't got a great pool of talent to lead the party. So they get fewer votes, and so it continues.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
When you say 'blind spot', do you mean Corbyn & McCluskey CAN'T or WON'T see the issue.

Blind spot means 'can't'.

Corbyn's reluctance to admit there was much antisemitism in labour under his watch misses the point as widely as Mr Jones did, in the classic joke:

Jones, do you have a nickname?

Yes, boyo.

What is it?

(silence)

What IS it?

Well.....I'm a painter. Do they call me 'brushes' Jones? No.
I'm a good singer; do they call me 'tenor' Jones? No.
I'm a great fly half; do thy call me 'rugby' Jones? No.

One sheep. It was only one bloody sheep. :shrug:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Blind spot means 'can't'.

Corbyn's reluctance to admit there was much antisemitism in labour under his watch misses the point as widely as Mr Jones did, in the classic joke:

Jones, do you have a nickname?

Yes, boyo.

What is it?

(silence)

What IS it?

Well.....I'm a painter. Do they call me 'brushes' Jones? No.
I'm a good singer; do they call me 'tenor' Jones? No.
I'm a great fly half; do thy call me 'rugby' Jones? No.

One sheep. It was only one bloody sheep. :shrug:
In a similar way that say, OJ Simpson will be remembered less for his Gridiron skills or acting in Naked Gun, nor Adolf not for his literary skills in Mein Kampf?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Partly, but hardly the full picture. A succession of weak leaders since Clegg. and the biggest problem by far is their position on Europe. I'm not going to get drawn into the remain v leave argument, but as a mainstream political party you need to understand that people are both somewhere on a scale of left-centre-right and then they are also within one of two 50/50 camps on Europe.

Domestically with a good leader, they are very well placed to appeal to a broad section of the population with something more akin to fiscal conservatism plus progressive policy making- on europe they have instantly cut in half their potential voter base.

they are now fishing in a pool of only 50% of the electorate because of their EU position. If they want to be a party of power, they must have a more middle way to appeal to those with genuine EU reservation.

The ironic thing about Brexit is that, ultimately, time will prove that half of the people were wrong and the other half of the people were right. I believe that Brexit will be a complete disaster for this country and that - ultimately - when the dust settles the one UK mainstream party that said all along we should Remain may not even exist because of the kicking the electorate have given it over the last 9 years.

The electorate have turned English politics into a two-party system and - as the Americans are finding - that doesn't make for collaborative politics, it only leads to polarised political positions and divided people. I believe strong Lib Dem party was a good thing for British politics, but it has all but gone now, and look what has happened to British politics since their demise in 2011. You get a choice of Corbyn vs May, then Corbyn vs Johnson and it is no surprise the country ends up divided and f*cked.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here