Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Labour has suspended former leader Jeremy Corbyn

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
OK, we all have our opinions.

I am not for one moment suggesting anti-semitism doesn’t exist within Labour or that more couldn’t have been done, however it’s common knowledge that Corbyn is sympathetic to the plight of the Palestinian peoples. Therefore the comments or opinions of the chairperson of Labour Friends of Israel may not be entirely objective and raises questions in regards to credibility.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I am not for one moment suggesting anti-semitism doesn’t exist within Labour or that more couldn’t have been done, however it’s common knowledge that Corbyn is sympathetic to the plight of the Palestinian peoples. Therefore the comments or opinions of the chairperson of Labour Friends of Israel may not be entirely objective and raises questions in regards to credibility.

Bit ambiguous.

Is the Party in the wrong, as the report suggests, or not?

Not sure there is too much middle ground. Starmer was unequivocally apologetic, was that because he accepts Labour are wrong here, or is it to placate the voting masses?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I am not for one moment suggesting anti-semitism doesn’t exist within Labour or that more couldn’t have been done,

Good - because it's just been proven more should have been done and the handling of anti-semitism within Labour was dreadful.

Hopefully this will mean Corbyn will be the first of many to be suspended and leave, leaving us with an electable Labour Party.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So is this time to ditch the Labour Party and reform?

If they want to ditch the far left tag, and the stains, they will need to re-boot IMO.

So there you go, they already have. It's not just me saying it, though. It's [MENTION=35196]Is it PotG?[/MENTION]

Starmer was unequivocally apologetic,

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
We still do have a decent Liberal Party but it was hung out to dry 9 years ago for the tuition fees fiasco. A life sentence for a relatively minor first offence, whilst the Tories get away with murder on a daily basis.

Partly, but hardly the full picture. A succession of weak leaders since Clegg. and the biggest problem by far is their position on Europe. I'm not going to get drawn into the remain v leave argument, but as a mainstream political party you need to understand that people are both somewhere on a scale of left-centre-right and then they are also within one of two 50/50 camps on Europe.

Domestically with a good leader, they are very well placed to appeal to a broad section of the population with something more akin to fiscal conservatism plus progressive policy making- on europe they have instantly cut in half their potential voter base.

they are now fishing in a pool of only 50% of the electorate because of their EU position. If they want to be a party of power, they must have a more middle way to appeal to those with genuine EU reservation.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Bit ambiguous.

Is the Party in the wrong, as the report suggests, or not?

Not sure there is too much middle ground. Starmer was unequivocally apologetic, was that because he accepts Labour are wrong here, or is it to placate the voting masses?

Hardly ambiguous. Just pointing out that an MP with pro Israel views that are juxtaposed to Corbyn’s views on the freedom of the Palestinian people’s, may not be a fountain of objectivity. This coupled with the very real accusations of anti-semitism when criticising the Israeli state, I would take her views on the matter with a pinch of salt personally.

I think it’s relatively clear that the party had issues before Corbyn and that these issues continued under his leadership. I do not however accept that one of the most ardent anti-racists of the last 40 years or so is anti-Semitic. A dithering fence sitter yes, but a racist, no.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Hardly ambiguous. Just pointing out that an MP with pro Israel views that are juxtaposed to Corbyn’s views on the freedom of the Palestinian people’s, may not be a fountain of objectivity. This coupled with the very real accusations of anti-semitism when criticising the Israeli state, I would take her views on the matter with a pinch of salt personally.

I think it’s relatively clear that the party had issues before Corbyn and that these issues continued under his leadership. I do not however accept that one of the most ardent anti-racists of the last 40 years or so is anti-Semitic. A dithering fence sitter yes, but a racist, no.

Did you answer the part about how you see the findings of the report? That was pretty damning.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've transcribed the exact quote:

'The numbers have been exaggerated in my view. The public perception last year in opinion polls was that somehow or other one third of the Labour Party members under suspicion of anti-Semitism the reality was it was 0.3% of party members that had a case against them that had to be put through the process. So I think it's it's clear that I do not accept, Keir Starmer does not accept, anti-Semitism in any form whatsoever in our party'

My problem throughout this process is how words that condemn the actions of the Israeli government have often be labelled anti-Semite. I also know Jewish folk who feel the same way.

Let no-one be in doubt, a lot of this is political, and it's noticeable, even in NSC, that people on the right have used it as such. The very same people some of whom who often show racist undercurrents in their own rhetoric but choose their words carefully.

Corbyn spent much of his life as a prominent anti-racist campaigner, yet it is those who he often rallied against who have been leading the charge here most.

If it is felt that Corbyn did not act quick enough then fair enough. He should not, however, apologise for what he said in the interview.

Last edited:

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Weren’t his exact words “I do not accept all of its [the reports] findings”? Bit different from your version of what he said. And we wonder why some people do believe the anti-semitism row is ‘over exaggerated’ ???

Here are his exact words - Mr Corbyn later said the scale of anti-Semitism within Labour had been "dramatically overstated" by opponents. This is from the BBC.

Not too far from what I quoted and I did say "along the lines of" when quoting Mr Corbyn.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I've transcribed the exact quote:

'The numbers have been exaggerated in my view. The public perception last year in opinion polls was that somehow or other one third of the Labour Party members under suspicion of anti-Semitism the reality was it was 0.3% of party members that had a case against them that had to be put through the process. So I think it's it's clear that I do not accept, Keir Starmer does not accept, anti-Semitism in any form whatsoever in our party'

My problem throughout this process is how words that condemn the actions of the Israeli government have often be labelled anti-Semite. I also know Jewish folk who feel the same way.

Let no-one be in doubt, a lot of this is political, and it's noticeable, even in NSC, that people on the right have used it as such. The very same people some of whom who often show racist undercurrents in their own rhetoric but choose their words carefully.

Corbyn spent much of his life as a prominent anti-racist campaigner, yet it is those who he often rallied against who have been leading the charge here most.

If it is felt that Corbyn did not act quick enough then fair enough. He should not, however, apologise for what he said in the interview.

Anti racist campaigner?

Does that include the IRA?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Here are his exact words - Mr Corbyn later said the scale of anti-Semitism within Labour had been "dramatically overstated" by opponents. This is from the BBC.

Not too far from what I quoted and I did say "along the lines of" when quoting Mr Corbyn.

My apologies. I had not seen his ‘extended’ response (just seen now on FB), only the initial one from which I quoted.

D

Deleted member 2719

That's pretty much what they are doing already isn't it or am I missing something?

I don't like the use the phrase 'you're missing the point' as I leave that to a certain type that frequent the bearpit, they don't have much else in their lockers.

But a new Labour leader saying with been very naughty boys won't cut it with the floaters. Look at the way Labour are forever linking their hate for the Tories, and that has mainly been attached linked to their hating of Thatcher.

Perhaps Chukka could make come back and give them a new identity?

The liberals might just make up some opposition if they get their act together and elect a likeable leader.

So there you go, they already have. It's not just me saying it, though. It's [MENTION=35196]Is it PotG?[/MENTION]

I am sure Starmer will lay the boot in, but he is still working for the same party the Jew-haters. The stain will stick, and he will need triple strength Vanish to remove it IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here