Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kwit Fit Servicing + MOT - is it any good?

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Thing is, my car WILL pass so will be a routine service and easy MOT. I just wonder where it will be cheapest.

You say your car will pass, so that would indicate you are either a certificated MOT tester or are aware of all the test criteria, and are sure it is in a condition to satisfy each part of the test criteria?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
You say your car will pass, so that would indicate you are either a certificated MOT tester or are aware of all the test criteria, and are sure it is in a condition to satisfy each part of the test criteria?

Okay okay, maybe I'm not 100%. It's less than 3 years old so is pretty much nailed on to pass.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
KWIK FIT = KWIK FIX

go and get it serviced , and then take it to an MOT only testing centre. Garages will almost ALWAYS find something wrong. Even if it means a brake light.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
KWIK FIT = KWIK FIX

go and get it serviced , and then take it to an MOT only testing centre. Garages will almost ALWAYS find something wrong. Even if it means a brake light.

Getting a car serviced is no guarantee of it passing the MOT, as something might be missed

Perhaps the best way of doing it would be to take it to a MOT only garage for the MOT (preferably one that does a free retest), then take it to a garage for a service and rectification of any failure items, then back to the MOT only garage for the (hopefully free) retest

All bases covered :thumbsup:

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Being a mechanic for 15 years, STAY CLEAR OF Kwik Fit, firstly they are oin commision for new parts, thats why they always tell you shock absorbers and brake drums need changing, ive worked in a small garage since i have left school and have heard all the tricks of kwik fit, btw i do do cash work for people on the side :thumbsup:

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
DO NOT EVER USE KWICK FIT FOR ANYTHING!!

I took it there for a MOT in Febuary as it was only 10mins from work and I needed to get it done ASAP.

They said it wuld be done in an hour so I popped up there on my lunch break (4 hours later) and it was still in the same place that I parked it earlier!

I asked what had happened and they said that they had over run (not sure how as they only had 3 cars in the garage!) on other jobs and that it was 'next' to be seen.

I then got a call from them when I had got back from work saying that it had failed because a bolt on each front suspenson had been bent and it needed a new tyre (which I had expected).

I thaught that would be a quick enough job and it ould only cost a few quid plus the tyre so I told them to go ahead with it and I could pick it up when I had finished work, brilliant.

When I finished work I had a voicemail from them saying that they only had ONE of these botls in stock (which cost £120 EACH) and had to wait until Monday before tehy could get a new one!! This really f***ed me off as I needed my car over the weekend and as it was in bits there was nothing I could do about it!!

I then called at 3pm on Monday only to find that it hadnt even arrived yet and they wouldnt be able to give me my car back until TUESDAY lunchtime at the EARLIEST.

At this point I was FUMING and called them at 11am on Tuesday to find out what was going on and they said that it was expecte to arrive early afternoon and it would be ready at 4/5pm (when I would be working so unable to collect it).

I asked to speak to the manager and gave him about 5 mins constant abuse down the phone to which he said he would speak to the mechanic concerned and call me back in 10 mins.

10 mins later I got the call and supprise supprise my car would be ready to collect in 30mins!!

All in all, I took my car in on Saturday morning for an HOUR long MOT and I got it back at NOON on TUESDAY only after about 6 phone calls £300 odd quid and an ear bashing!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I take mine to Mr MOT in Burgess Hill who only do MOTs so are not concerned whether it passes or fails. If you look on the Just MOT website they offer discounted rates if booked on line. I think that it is justmot.eu and they have loads of depots but the price of the MOT varies.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My brother in law is an excellant mechanic and always used to do a pre MOT before taking the car in but he says that it is now so hit and miss and dependant on how the mechanic feels that he now just puts them in for MOT and then puts right what they fail on if they fail.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
I paid £10 on Monday for my mot at just mots in burgess hill and they put on new wipers and put in a new bulb and it passed.As others have said always take your car to a place that just does mots.When I was the manager at BP Univeristy Way the kwik-fit across the road was shocking and also never use PDH as well

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
So, common though is take it to an MOT only place and get serviced elsewhere?

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Our local council do mot's, same place as they do the checks for taxis. Cheap, have no vested interest in selling you parts, mechanics all well qualified and go out of their way to get your car through.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's less than 3 years old so is pretty much nailed on to pass.

Naive naive naive :lol:

Good luck though

List of just a few potential fails, that seem to come up whatever the age of the car

Brake pads
Brake discs
Headlight alignment ( MOT testers LOVE failing you and charging £5-10 to sort this one out)
Lights
Windscreen wipers

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Our local council do mot's, same place as they do the checks for taxis. Cheap, have no vested interest in selling you parts, mechanics all well qualified and go out of their way to get your car through.

All local councils have to do MOTs, not sure where the one round here is, but it'll definitely be the cheapest. Kwik Fit F!cked my dad's car, I'd never go there.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
For the MOT go to a place that just does MOTs however before you do this find a place that does a cheap full service and tell them NOT to do any extra work on the vehicle. They will then only highlight stuff that might need doing. After that take it to an MOT place where the requirements for a pass are lower and then your sorted.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
If you go to an MOT only place, and they fail it, and you take it away to have it fixed or fix it yourself, you will have to pay again for the retest or a new test. Hence the actual cost of any MOT is anything from £100 to £300. Having owned cars since before there was an MOT test I have only had 3 or 4 where the only cost was that of the MOT.
I have had good and bad experiences of Quick Fit, but wouldn't let them service my car.

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
If you go to an MOT only place, and they fail it, and you take it away to have it fixed or fix it yourself, you will have to pay again for the retest or a new test. Hence the actual cost of any MOT is anything from £100 to £300. Having owned cars since before there was an MOT test I have only had 3 or 4 where the only cost was that of the MOT.
I have had good and bad experiences of Quick Fit, but wouldn't let them service my car.

Not so, another plug for Burgess Hill Mr MOT but they have always been fair in their dealings with me.

MR MOT

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Kwik fit did my mot and where great friendly and 'kwik' Only problem was no. plate had water damage which it did! I just tried to wing it... No complants here. Also found Nationwide...erm somthing round the back for city college where good too when I broke my cam belt! As for the mot why not try 'just mot's' opened a garage in the bell tower estate near lidl/whitehawk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here