Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knoll school for boys hove

Now I remember Jack Liddell 71-76 at the Grammar - as if he wasn't frightening enough, they used to give him the starting gun at the swimming gala :ohmy:

What do you mean - effeminate !

And the School Sports Day. Do you remember the leaving UVISc & UVIA creating a false start "bang" with a couple of pieces of hinged plywood for the 100m the 1972?

Remember once when every board rubber from around HGS were pinched and put ready for Jack's lesson. We all waited for the reaction with bated breath, but he did reveal a sense of humour when he discovered them all.
Not down here, but I remember an incident at the school I went to, when the whole class of 30 of us had bought 30 WW2 gas masks from the local Army Surplus store and wore them at the start of an English lesson. The teacher came into the room, pretended not to notice and then proceeded to teach for a whole 40 minutes without mentioning the fact that EVERYONE was wearing a gas mask. At the end of the lesson, he just walked out as if nothing had happened.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not down here, but I remember an incident at the school I went to, when the whole class of 30 of us had bought 30 WW2 gas masks from the local Army Surplus store and wore them at the start of an English lesson. The teacher came into the room, pretended not to notice and then proceeded to teach for a whole 40 minutes without mentioning the fact that EVERYONE was wearing a gas mask. At the end of the lesson, he just walked out as if nothing had happened.

Were the Luftwaffe swarming overhead at the time though, Lord B? :D

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Jack Mutton couldn't say anything that contained the letter 'S' without whistling. Jake 'the walker' snapped during a lesson with our class. We were taken somewhere past the heads office where he was standing crying. Always feel a but guilty if i ever see him.
Didn't an ancient science teacher die during a lesson?

getz

Jan 15, 2010
I was in Jacks' class in 1958. He was famous for his catchphrase " come here you 'orrible little boy. I got his slipper for gently passing a rubber to my next classmate. Totally unjustified. He was held in great awe and fear. Last I heard he still had a bookshop on Shoreham High St.

getz

Jan 15, 2010
i mean rubber. At that age i did not realise there was another rubber I was always naive.

bassking

Mar 18, 2011
The Dollar Store
Did anyone on here ever go to the Knoll school for boys , old shoreham road in hove between 1971 and 1976 ? if so who are you and can you remember any of the teachers ? oh my name is Kevin Jackson by the way ( there are lots of people i would like to say hello to again and also sorry !!! .:thumbsup:

yep went to knoll boys between these times,how old are you know (just to see if you were in year above me or below. i sure your name rings a bell but i think you were in year above me.the jackson i think i remember used to live around hallyburton rd or isabell cres???? Teachers ,BILL GRIFFIN(DECEASED),WHEATLY -CROWE, JOCK MC COURTY, TANNER, JOCK MC NEIL, MR WELSH MRS ABBOT, MR PSYCHO BEAUMONT, HARMEN (THE CANE DISTRIBUTOR).

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
I didn't go there (too young) but my brothers did, we grew up in Bellingham Crescent and our garden backed onto the school yard. Remember watching lots of fights from my bedroom window. The Knoll was a hard area, the school, the estate and the Maytree (local pub).

bassking

Mar 18, 2011
The Dollar Store
i didn't go there (too young) but my brothers did, we grew up in bellingham crescent and our garden backed onto the school yard. Remember watching lots of fights from my bedroom window. The knoll was a hard area, the school, the estate and the maytree (local pub).

yep always fights after school,was that kinda school still kept us entertained,as i remerber there were the anslow family around there and a mate of mine andy binns ring any bells,

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I was in Jacks' class in 1958. He was famous for his catchphrase " come here you 'orrible little boy. I got his slipper for gently passing a rubber to my next classmate. Totally unjustified. He was held in great awe and fear. Last I heard he still had a bookshop on Shoreham High St.

The slipper had a name, it was called Charlie. You must be in the school photo I posted earlier in the thread. I was also in Jacks class, probably '58 in the temporary classroom.

boys29

Banned
Dec 30, 2009
i had a look around the knoll business centre as its known today , its really strange because although all the class rooms are now business units the building structure is still the same , you can still go in both playgrounds it was an emotional experience , i went into one of the units making out i was a customer and i found my self in Mr McNeil english classroom , all the windows and brickwork were the same . strange feeling

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Went to the infants at the Knoll in 54/5. If that doesn't count,I did a seven stretch at the effeminate HCGS(B).Liddell "taught" my brother at the Knoll before his promotion to the elitist Grammar School,where he failed to cope,and left a broken man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here