Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knighthoods who do you propose ?

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Inigo Calderon.

As Sainthood is unfairly, reserved for the deceased, a Knighthood will have to suffice.

(I'm aware that you have to be British-ish, but this seems an easier rule to circumvent).

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Goodwin, Mugabe, Mussolini, Ceausescu, Saville, Crosby....

Its a great system...

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Inigo Calderon.

As Sainthood is unfairly, reserved for the deceased, a Knighthood will have to suffice.

(I'm aware that you have to be British-ish, but this seems an easier rule to circumvent).
The man is a Star,doubt if he would take it ?

John Surtees.

The only rider / driver to have won World Championships on two and four wheels.

Four times World motorcycle champion, then won the Formula 1 tile for Ferrari.

Did extremely well to survive that era, when many did not. Then tragically lost his own son Henry in a freak racing accident.

Then became a racing car constructor and has been a long term ambassador for various charities. Seems a decent and down to earth bloke too.

Curiously Stirling Moss has been knighted as an icon of British motorsport, but never won the F1 World Championship. Although he did narrowly concede it to Mike Hawthorn, not something that would readily happen today. Moss might be the Beckham of his day - talented, fashionable and newsworthy etc but never quite achieved the ultimate success in his sport. However Moss does have that epic Mille Miglia victory which was a real feat, so no problem in my book.

IMHO it would not seem right to see Beckham gain a Knighthood before an achiever like Surtees, but I guess John does not enjoy the same profile.

Very sensible suggestion if I may say so. Not as sensible as mine though, Sir Robert Lester Zamora.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
John Surtees.

The only rider / driver to have won World Championships on two and four wheels.

Four times World motorcycle champion, then won the Formula 1 tile for Ferrari.

Did extremely well to survive that era, when many did not. Then tragically lost his own son Henry in a freak racing accident.

Then became a racing car constructor and has been a long term ambassador for various charities. Seems a decent and down to earth bloke too.

Curiously Stirling Moss has been knighted as an icon of British motorsport, but never won the F1 World Championship. Although he did narrowly concede it to Mike Hawthorn, not something that would readily happen today. Moss might be the Beckham of his day - talented, fashionable and newsworthy etc but never quite achieved the ultimate success in his sport. However Moss does have that epic Mille Miglia victory which was a real feat, so no problem in my book.

IMHO it would not seem right to see Beckham gain a Knighthood before an achiever like Surtees, but I guess John does not enjoy the same profile.

Thirded, to win the World 500cc Motorcycle Championship and then become Formula 1 World Champion will never happen again, you just know Mansell, Hill and even that knob Hamilton will all get a Knighthood eventually and Surtees won't...

Last edited:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Why does any man need a title outside of his name and sometimes Mr.

I don't anyone needs it but it is awarded by your Country as a recognition that you have done something over and above the normal in whatever field of endeavour you have undertaken.

A bit petty to disparage the concept IMO, although there have certainly been more and less deserving recipients over the years.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I don't anyone needs it but it is awarded by your Country as a recognition that you have done something over and above the normal in whatever field of endeavour you have undertaken.

A bit petty to disparage the concept IMO, although there have certainly been more and less deserving recipients over the years.

I understand the concept thats why i didn't put a question mark at the end. For you it maybe petty for others it isn't.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Dick Knight
John Baine

Nobody in my profession - bloody wasters!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here