Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knight -reason for few signings?

It has crossed my mind that one reason we are struggling to sign players is because we have a board who aren't involved in bungs, illegal payments to agents and various other fiddles. Check the link to a report on the number of illegal payments the Luton chairman made to build a team to struggle in the Championship. God knows what nonsense the Prem enquiry has hushed up.

No wonder we are having trouble signing anyone if that is the amount of grease needed for those deals!
On the other hand, if Luton get hit with a big points deduction......

http://www.lutonfc.com/cgi-bin/newspro/viewnews.cgi?newsid1179316117,68737,

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Alternatively it could be that we are skint and that most players are currently on holiday.

If you were a player, why WOULD you want to play at Withdean?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
and also the fact that the transfer window does not actually open until 1st July, who knows what deals are done behind the scences to be announced then

We have been struggling to make signings for years. And sure Withdean could be a factor. But Kenilworth Road suddenly wasn't a factor when these payments were being made at Luton - Carlos Edwards to a third div club for fucks sake!!

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
one reason for signing new players to attract more spectators at the Withdean;

3500 empty seats at Withdean @ £20 = £70,000.00p per game

= £1,610,000.00p per season

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
one reason for signing new players to attract more spectators at the Withdean;

3500 empty seats at Withdean @ £20 = £70,000.00p per game

= £1,610,000.00p per season

Do you honestly think that Leon Constantine would attract another 3500 punters per game?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Do you honestly think that Leon Constantine would attract another 3500 punters per game?

I dont think Leon Constantine alone, would cost £1,610,000.00p. However, a couple or three Leon Constantines would improve the gate receipts enormously, not to mention merchandise sales, our profile in the wider community, interest in the club locally and also a decent promotion push. Possibly also, letting LDC know we are not going away quietly.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
So you think we should borrow money then?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I dont think Leon Constantine alone, would cost £1,610,000.00p. However, a couple or three Leon Constantines would improve the gate receipts enormously, not to mention merchandise sales, our profile in the wider community, interest in the club locally and also a decent promotion push. Possibly also, letting LDC know we are not going away quietly.

I understand what you are saying, but there is no guarantee it would work, Leeds spent about £5million on players in 2005/6 and look what happened to them last season.

There is a further issue, the board are currently subsidising the club to the tune of about £10,000 a week, you are asking them to double this, with no certainty that the players signed would actually make a difference. Remember Jason Peake, the last player we signed for a six figure sum before BZ? There are plenty of others who were a total waste too, such as Mark Farringdon etc.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I understand what you are saying, but there is no guarantee it would work, Leeds spent about £5million on players in 2005/6 and look what happened to them last season.

There is a further issue, the board are currently subsidising the club to the tune of about £10,000 a week, you are asking them to double this, with no certainty that the players signed would actually make a difference. Remember Jason Peake, the last player we signed for a six figure sum before BZ? There are plenty of others who were a total waste too, such as Mark Farringdon etc.

Of course there are no "guarantees" for success.One thing is absolutely certain though, and that is, if you fail to invest properly, you will eventually and inevitably FAIL. Three years ago we had a hard core of support of 6,500. two years ago, 6,000. One year ago 5,500. This year..? 5,000. Can you see a pattern here...? This club will only survive if we are seen to be trying to be successful, to encourage the "fair-weather" supporter to keep turning up. The years of negativity, particularly in the transfer market have taken their toll.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
So you think we should borrow money then?

I dont think we could borrow money even if we wanted to. What assets would we put up against it.

On another point. Do we actually owe anyone anything ? or are the figures we hear of 1 or 2 million just lost revenue sums.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I dont think we could borrow money even if we wanted to. What assets would we put up against it.

On another point. Do we actually owe anyone anything ? or are the figures we hear of 1 or 2 million just lost revenue sums.

We owe millions, I'm sure people who suggest more outlay would change their mind if it was their money.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

To the Directors.

You also reminded us earlier that we have no assets. Fairly accurate.

However, the money the Directors have invested so far (invested , not given) is surely far more at risk if they dont do more to protect it. Many of the Directors have access to borrow money. They came on "board" of their own choice. Nobody made them do it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

According to the accounts, we have creditors who are owed £13.4 million, which include:

Overdraft £335k
Season ticket holders payments in advance £1.3m
Suppliers £506k
Tax £494k
Group company (i.e. the directors) £5.4million
Directors current accounts £530k
Bank loan £4.4million

Alternatively it could be that we are skint and that most players are currently on holiday.

If you were a player, why WOULD you want to play at Withdean?

Okay, there are some ....many things about Withdean that are lame, and barely a hotbed football theatre for top gladiators - but it has a nice flat playing field, and Brighton area is a nice place to live, and an honest historic club with focussed aspirations to succeed.
Join now, before we build Falmer, and be a true HERO of Albion fans all over the world. :bounce::ascarf:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
According to the accounts, we have creditors who are owed £13.4 million, which include:

Overdraft £335k
Season ticket holders payments in advance £1.3m
Suppliers £506k
Tax £494k
Group company (i.e. the directors) £5.4million
Directors current accounts £530k
Bank loan £4.4million

The bank loan of £4.4 million is almost certainly gauranteed by the Directors. All the more reason to "protect" that commitment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here