Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

KLL and Buckley

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I just think these two have to play all the time. They are two stand out players with real ability. I am lost as to why they are not on the pitch all the time, people can say ah Gus knows what he is doing etc but we've gotta play these two, one on the right, one on the left, sacrifice a striker if necessary because they have so much more about them than Barnes or Vokes. It's a no brainer imo. Our lack of strikes on goal speaks volumes imo. I know its not fashonable to criticise Gus, but he's just getting it big time wrong so far. I know the tactical reasons etc but it's not right imho

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I just think these two have to play all the time. They are two stand out players with real ability. I am lost as to why they are not on the pitch all the time, people can say ah Gus knows what he is doing etc but we've gotta play these two, one on the right, one on the left, sacrifice a striker if necessary because they have so much more about them than Barnes or Vokes. It's a no brainer imo. Our lack of strikes on goal speaks volumes imo. I know its not fashonable to criticise Gus, but he's just getting it big time wrong so far. I know the tactical reasons etc but it's not right imho
Yep spot on,lua lua and Buckley plus Vicente have been the main highlights of the season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They've both had injury problems this season and may not be capable of playing for 90 minutes week in and week out. Hopefully this will be dealt with in the summer preseason training and the new medical staff.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Hardly getting it wrong "big time" if were 7th - but yeah i agree we need to see more of them, especially like how LuaLua was against Derby with Vicente.

Cant see them both starting as Barnes will probably start, he is our leading scorer after all.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
They've both had injury problems this season and may not be capable of playing for 90 minutes week in and week out. Hopefully this will be dealt with in the summer preseason training and the new medical staff.

Yes fair point, they've not always been available but what is so wrong with playing two wingers, not so much a tactical reason but because they are the players that we have with REAL ability. They have got to play

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes fair point, they've not always been available but what is so wrong with playing two wingers, not so much a tactical reason but because they are the players that we have with REAL ability. They have got to play

It has been shown that if we play with two wingers we get overrun in midfield. When we get a tough midfield general in the squad then maybe we can have that luxury. It was no coincedence that we got relegated from the Championship in 2006 when Oatway had to retire with a badly broken ankle on Boxing Day.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Hardly getting it wrong "big time" if were 7th - but yeah i agree we need to see more of them, especially like how LuaLua was against Derby with Vicente.

Cant see them both starting as Barnes will probably start, he is our leading scorer after all.
So Barnes will be somewhere up the middle keeping Buckley out which is ashame.

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
I had assumed Gus was resting LuaLua against Burnley for Reading and West Ham this week, but clueless at to why he left him on the bench, would have much rather seen him on than Nooney-more of an impact player.

Many won't agree with this, but as CMS isn't having the best season how about playing Barnes up top with Vicente, Lualua and Buckley behind him similar to above? Might not have the same pace and work rate but knows where the goal is as his scoring record shows. Worth a go?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
It has been shown that if we play with two wingers we get overrun in midfield. When we get a tough midfield general in the squad then maybe we can have that luxury.
It's been said a million times....we get overrun in the middle most games anyway so why not just let them loose :)

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'd love to see them both play but we lack pace at the back and therefore have to play 2 defensive midfielders to make sure they are not exposed. having 2 wingers and 2 defensive midfielders leaves us a little light on options and tactics

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield

I think we could have been cemented in the play offs with a more attacking outlook and playing the few players with proper ability, that ability is no good sitting on the bench or coming on for a short time at the end of games. And Barnes, i know he's scored a few, but his all round game is just awful at times. I would play cms alone up front with a LOT of attcking support from the wings and midfield, ie vicente (can he not play an attacking central midfield role or JFC?) with buckley and kll on the wings, surely this makes sense no?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think we could have been cemented in the play offs with a more attacking outlook and playing the few players with proper ability, that ability is no good sitting on the bench or coming on for a short time at the end of games. And Barnes, i know he's scored a few, but his all round game is just awful at times. I would play cms alone up front with a LOT of attcking support from the wings and midfield, ie vicente (can he not play an attacking central midfield role or JFC?) with buckley and kll on the wings, surely this makes sense no?
No, your post has just shown you to have the tactical nous of an amoeba.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I'd love to see them both play but we lack pace at the back and therefore have to play 2 defensive midfielders to make sure they are not exposed. having 2 wingers and 2 defensive midfielders leaves us a little light on options and tactics

I just dont see it, we could play one less striker, 2 central mid, 2 quality wingers, vicente in front of mid generals, just play the players with ability, fit round them. Who are the players that have saved the day when they are given the chance? Buckley, numerous, vicente, kll, they have got to play

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Spot on......its obviouse we are starting to struggle defensively even with 7 players defending,we need to be a threat to the opposition and to give them something to think about for once.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
It has been shown that if we play with two wingers we get overrun in midfield. When we get a tough midfield general in the squad then maybe we can have that luxury. It was no coincedence that we got relegated from the Championship in 2006 when Oatway had to retire with a badly broken ankle on Boxing Day.

Hardly had the same team then did we

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
The difficulty lies within trying to get a strong midfield, decent width and assistance for CMS up front. For me the we really hit our stride when JFC was playing. He doesn't mind getting stuck in to a tackle and can distributes the ball well to the wide men, meaning we have to 2 midfielders actually covering the defence but also helping the attack with a bit of vision and skill. For me it would be preferable to have Brezovan and the usual back 4. Then Bridcutt, JFC in the middle with Vicente a more advanced supporting CMS. Play Buckley and Noone/LuaLua on either flank and we should be a force.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I agree that away from home things need to change because we are just not scoring goals but at home we are fine.
I may be wrong but I think the middlesboro game was the first home league game this year that we failed to score at least 2 goals.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Lualua's first stint with us ended with him getting injured. When he returned it was made clear he can't play every game, his risk of injury increases greatly when he plays saturday and tuesday in a week. As it was for him when at newcastle it was for him when he came to us. There is a balance to strike with him to get the most from him at the least risk.

I don't recall any update that Lualua was suddenly 100% fit and healthy enough to play every game, just seems to be something people have forgotten about him (assuming they were around then - that is not meant as a dig at JCLs, but if you've only taken an interest in us since we moved to the amex it would have been before your time so might not be aware of the issue).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here