Kit manufacturer

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you pay more if the kit was made by a 'proper' company?

• Yes, I'd pay more

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • No, I wouldn't pay more

Votes: 33 70.2%

• Total voters

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
There are some pretty stunning kits available, mostly made by companies like Umbro and Nike, with all the badges and sponsors names incorporated into the printing or stitched on instead of iron on transfers...if our kit was like that, and looked really good, then I might just buy one.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
...if our kit was like that, and looked really good, then I might just buy one.

Well I'm sure that'll convince Dick to change supplier :rolleyes:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Would you pay more for the replica kit if it was made by a better company like Umbro, Adidas or Nike? And what would you pay for it?

Define better. I have Umbro Ireland shirts and Nike Celtic shirts and they are not particularly of better quality. Thats not to say I've liked our shirts that much recently, but I think its the individual design rather than manufacturer.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nope.

Nike kits at our level all look crap, cheap, and like they came out of a Sunday league catalogue. Don't imagine we'd get some kind of Brazil effort, instead it would look like Grimsby, Southend or Hartlepool.

While Umbro make pretty dull kits, look at the England shirts they've been pumping out for years. Always the same, always boring, and then they wonder why the shops selling them have to issue profits warnings because people can't be arsed to buy them.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Nope.

Nike kits at our level all look crap, cheap, and like they came out of a Sunday league catalogue. Don't imagine we'd get some kind of Brazil effort, instead it would look like Grimsby, Southend or Hartlepool.

While Umbro make pretty dull kits, look at the England shirts they've been pumping out for years. Always the same, always boring, and then they wonder why the shops selling them have to issue profits warnings because people can't be arsed to buy them.

Spot on. Nike and Umbro kits are dire. I've just received the Umbro catalogue in the post and they are awful. We have gone for a Stanna kit, but Jako are also top kits.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It pains me to say it, but the only Premier League kit I really liked last season was Portsmouth, made by Canterbury.

Most of the current Puma kits around are alright too, and I've seen some nice Kappa ones.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
i don't think it's NSC readers who would be excited by kits made by big names, it's the kids and teenagers - although the GP would be less for the club they would sell a hell of a lot more training kit - errea designs just aren't good enough for people to want to parade around in their gear.

plus people can't justify the prices for poor quality football kit when it's a small italian company nobody has heard of.

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006
Surely it is the club saving money rather than Errea to blame for the iron on transfer? The first Errea shirts had the Skint logo printed as part of the design. Anyway, I would rather the shirts are made by Errea in the EU than subcontracted to various sweatshops around the world.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Surely it is the club saving money rather than Errea to blame for the iron on transfer? The first Errea shirts had the Skint logo printed as part of the design.

Quite. It's like when you book a package holiday. Tick or untick for in-flight meal. Reduces cost by about twenty quid. Tick or untick for printing / iron-on HAS to work in a similar way. Down to the club 100%. Errea will do the expensive option, the cheap option, or a hundred shades in between. Fact. Why should they CARE? :shrug: In the end, you get what the club contracted Errea to provide.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
if the shirts had no sponsor on then the sponsors would pay far less for their sponsorship as it isnt geting as much advertising

Quite. It's like when you book a package holiday. Tick or untick for in-flight meal. Reduces cost by about twenty quid. Tick or untick for printing / iron-on HAS to work in a similar way. Down to the club 100%. Errea will do the expensive option, the cheap option, or a hundred shades in between. Fact. Why should they CARE? :shrug: In the end, you get what the club contracted Errea to provide.

It doesn't help when the main sponsor hasn't been signed up until May or June leaving less than 2 months to get the shirts ready in time for the start of the season. Bearing in mind we aren't their only customers, in fact there are loads of clubs now using Errea and we're no doubt low down in their pecking order. Everybody has known Skint were ending their sponsorship long before the season ended-new sponsors should have been in place sooner then it needn't have been an iron-on transfer, we could have a printed one.

Jul 5, 2003
Heard on the grapevine that the club is really pleased with the service thay get from Errea and that the quality is as good as anything else on offer. Apart from all the iron on sponsorship logos over the years I don't think the kit is that bad. All my shirts have washed well and are still in good condition for their age. The worst shirt I have owned was the Donatello one where the lettring faded and then split. Don't think that was Errea though (was it?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports