Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kindle vs Kindle paperwhite

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I think that the attitude of the parents towards reading is likely to be the key as to whether a child takes an interest in it or not.

In the example in your post, I can't imagine a situation where either myself or my girlfriend (also a big reader), money permitting, wouldn't buy the little 'un the book as it'd hopefully encourage him to enjoy it as much as we do.

I would genuinely love to own a book shop, however, in the current climate I'd want to make sure I wasn't financially dependent on it as it'd be run as a labour of love more than anything else.

Well that's it, it is all down to the parents. I have some grandparents coming in trying to find books that a child can read without their parents, as their parents will not read to them for example. Thankfully, I also see the other extreme where parents are only too pleased to buy their kids books, which is great. There is nowt as queer as folk! What is good is that I do have a few, not many though, reasonably affluent but previously disadvantaged people who love books and are instilling that in their kids, which is great to see.

You are right, owning a bookshop is not a reliable income anymore - it was 7 or 8 years ago but not now. Hence I am trying to find another job, sadly! It is a pretty stress free existence though, if you do not need to rely on the income.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I have a Kindle Fire HD. It's great, and I love the fact I can just download stuff and have it stored ready to be read, which is great for when you're going away on holiday, say. I found a load of the classics available for free on Amazon last year, so stocked up on a collection of Dickens, Austen, Hugo, Hardy etc, which I'm working my way through.

That said, I love bookshops. I could easily kill an hour or two in Waterstone's or [insert independent bookseller here] and I do still buy books. Even the smell of a bookshop is evocative. Sometimes it's just nice to have an actual book to hand and I like the ability to wander round and flick through books to see what might take my fancy. That's just not the same on Amazon even though the Kindle allows you to download a sample.

Waterstone's are bloody expensive compared to Amazon, and even booksellers like Tesco though. I've been known to pick up a book there, decide I want it, then head off to Tesco or go online to actually buy it. Sign of the times.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
I have a Kindle Fire HD. It's great, and I love the fact I can just download stuff and have it stored ready to be read, which is great for when you're going away on holiday, say. I found a load of the classics available for free on Amazon last year, so stocked up on a collection of Dickens, Austen, Hugo, Hardy etc, which I'm working my way through.

That said, I love bookshops. I could easily kill an hour or two in Waterstone's or [insert independent bookseller here] and I do still buy books. Even the smell of a bookshop is evocative. Sometimes it's just nice to have an actual book to hand and I like the ability to wander round and flick through books to see what might take my fancy. That's just not the same on Amazon even though the Kindle allows you to download a sample.

Waterstone's are bloody expensive compared to Amazon, and even booksellers like Tesco though. I've been known to pick up a book there, decide I want it, then head off to Tesco or go online to actually buy it. Sign of the times.

That is why independent book shops are disappearing - cannot compete against retailers who are selling books at pretty much cost (certainly the cost that an independent would buy them for anyway). I have certainly seen supermarkets and others selling books for less than I can buy them for even with my trade discount. There was a big independent bookshop at Victoria station for years who closed down because most of his customers were doing what you did - looked at the book in his shop then went home and ordered it from Amazon. A sign of the times indeed.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That is why independent book shops are disappearing - cannot compete against retailers who are selling books at pretty much cost (certainly the cost that an independent would buy them for anyway). I have certainly seen supermarkets and others selling books for less than I can buy them for even with my trade discount. There was a big independent bookshop at Victoria station for years who closed down because most of his customers were doing what you did - looked at the book in his shop then went home and ordered it from Amazon. A sign of the times indeed.

I know. And I feel guilty for thinking/ saying it. I didn't even like writing that!

But I'd be stupid to pay £18 for a hardback book that Tesco/Amazon are selling for £8.
A couple of quid here or there doesn't really bother me, but less than half the price makes a difference.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
I know. And I feel guilty for thinking/ saying it. I didn't even like writing that!

But I'd be stupid to pay £18 for a hardback book that Tesco/Amazon are selling for £8.
A couple of quid here or there doesn't really bother me, but less than half the price makes a difference.

No need to feel guilty - it is not your fault! If some retailers are prepared to give these deals to consumers, then you are absolutely right to take them.
I once received a letter from a huge book wholesaler in Eastbourne, who I use from time to time, essentially pleading with shops not to buy stuff from Amazon as even they could not compete at times with their prices. Crazy.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I just use a generic Android tablet with the Kindle software loaded onto it. It did take me a while to switch completely from books but now (unless I'm reading in the bath :) ) I prefer using the tablet as a) I tend to read myself to sleep and so can read with the light off and b) books are just that much easier to get hold of.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I just use a generic Android tablet with the Kindle software loaded onto it. It did take me a while to switch completely from books but now (unless I'm reading in the bath :) ) I prefer using the tablet as a) I tend to read myself to sleep and so can read with the light off and b) books are just that much easier to get hold of.
Have you tried a kindle? It's much kinder on the eyes, an altogether superior experience than reading on a tablet.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Have you tried a kindle? It's much kinder on the eyes, an altogether superior experience than reading on a tablet.
I have - my son has one. I agree the general usage in the day is better, not tried the backlit version of the Kindle but due to financial constraints can only have a tablet OR a Kindle not both :)

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
This is exactly what my wife complains about. I have stuck with the old style kindle.

Yes - in my view the original kindle was the best. Having started with one, which I left on the train, I upgraded to a touch screen which I then left on the train again. I then got an original one again with the buttons on ebay. Dont even consider getting the model with the keyboard - its a complete waste of space.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Bought my Mum a Kindle Voyage - it's the next level up from the Paperwhite and has better quality resolution and lighting.
She has been diagnosed with Macular Degeneration - wet MD in one eye, dry MD in the other.
As well as an avid reader she loves doing crosswords & puzzles like suduko.
The Voyage has enabled her to continue her enjoyment of reading & thinking which should help ward off the threat of Alzheimers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IOY524S/ref=fs_icwn

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I have - my son has one. I agree the general usage in the day is better, not tried the backlit version of the Kindle but due to financial constraints can only have a tablet OR a Kindle not both :)

You don't have to have an expensive Kindle. I have a touchscreen Nook which cost £18 new from Asda and my wife has a Kobo. There are alternatives.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Just an update to say thanks to everyone for the helpful advice. I did buy a paperwhite in the end (arrived this morning), £20 off at tesco direct and a bit of Topcashback on top of that, brought the price down to £77. Almost as cheap as Amazon.de but Amazon won't sell kindles cross border.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Bought my Mum a Kindle Voyage - it's the next level up from the Paperwhite and has better quality resolution and lighting.

The ability to change font size on an ebook makes them brilliant for those with failing eyes and also for smaller kids. When my kids were stepping up to reading "proper" books they were put off by the small font and physical size of the book. Put the same book on an ebook, up the font size a notch or two, and the concerns go away.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
When my kids were stepping up to reading "proper" books they were put off by the small font and physical size of the book. Put the same book on an ebook, up the font size a notch or two, and the concerns go away.

Just don't tell them how many pages long the book will be! 😵

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here