Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Kieran Trippier on shithousery - "ITS GOOD!"

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Regarding the 'reducer', you'd get a booking for it or - at best - a ticking off that meant the next foul would be a card. Most players didn't roll around pretending to be injured - their managers would have been furious with them for showing that weakness and encouraging the opposition. Players hanging around the corner flag is pretty much legitimate as the ball is in play - teams can pile in and do something about it. Likewise, sides passing the ball about to give opponents the runaround. There's an element of risk involved. Goalkeepers, I agree, have always pushed their luck but it's not so long (well, a couple of decades) since there was a directive that they couldn't hold the ball for more than 6 seconds and I do think refs used to hurry them up more on goal-kicks.

There seems to be a corrosive view now that feigning injury, extraordinarily slow substitutions (remembering there only used to be one per team per game rather than the current fiasco) and teams being allowed to perform half a slickly choreographed West End musical after every goal are all a totally acceptable norm. Refs certainly don't seem bothered about adding that time on, let alone compensating for all the VAR checks.

I know a lot of that stuff at the top was a bygone era but the point is that matches were 90 minutes back then and they're still meant to be 90 minutes now. As fans, we're all being cheated. Keith Hackett had it right on Twitter yesterday. Get back to players being treated off the field and bring in independent time-keeping. If the referee is only going to add 3 minutes for 8 minutes of stoppages, take that decision out of his hands. Shorten the halves and clock stops when the ball is dead - end of story. Teams will still time waste but ultimately we'll get to see a proper match (and might even be home by midnight).

The first time a ref picks up a physio's bag and lobs it off the field, as used to be a frequent occurrence, I'll give it the biggest cheer of the season!
I think there's some sepia tinted glasses being worn at times.

The point of those tackles were to both intimidate the opposition and to play the game on their terms. Scythe your opponent down and stop their attack building. Give him a sly elbow, a stamp on his ankle. Make him not fancy it.
Stop their rhythm. Stop their fluidity. Stop dangerous situations(counters etc). That's no different in essence to what players do now, it's to disrupt the other team and deny them any possible advantage. They're just not allowed to cut players in half anymore so they engage in a different method.

As for the 90 minutes of football. Are we talking the backpass era where goalkeeper rolled the ball to defender who passed to another defender who passed back to the goalkeeper who picked the ball up wandered around his area for a bit then rolled it out to defender number one again? The six second thing came in in 1997 and I've only ever seen it actually called twice - one of those was on me just as I was about to launch the ball aimlessly downfield in a preseason friendly . It's not been a thing for years and doesn't lead to better football, just keepers getting rid of the ball somewhere/anywhere so they don't give away an in direct free kick in the box.

I reckon the quality of football on offer now is of a higher standard than it's ever been. Yes it's frustrating when a team is ultra cynical in its time wasting but those teams have been around for years in one form or another. I'll take a few minutes less of higher quality football over a few minutes more of passing back to the keeper.

I agree with the on field treatment. This is the real issue. The rules are such that fouls are easy to come by and not only that are easily bookable. That's a triple whammy of benefits to a team. Stop the game, get a free kick, get the opposition booked. Let the game go on around them. All the players grew up playing on the streets/playground where there's all kinds of obstacles in the way.

The rest just needs the refs to book players earlier. Emi Martinez has been booked four times this season. Rather than wait until the last 10 minutes book him in the first 10.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I did have to laugh yesterday when watching the final, a Newcastle player went down, I can't recall which one, and Gary Neville and Martin Tyler were both saying how serious the 'injury' looks and how a big blow it would be to Newcastle's chances, and even put up a graphic showing Newcastle's results with and without the player.
I of course was fully expecting the Newcastle player to rise from his death bed and to be perfectly match fit after the game had been delayed sufficiently long enough for Smug Eddie's requirements. And surprise surprise the player made a perfect recovery.

I would really enjoy a team going to Newcastle and have a player full down with a head injury every ten minutes combined with lengthy goal kicks, free kicks and throws from the kick off, and then to score a winner in 90+15 minute. I'm sure Trippier and the St. James Park faithful will have enjoyed the experience to the full.

It's not dark arts or managing the game, it's cheating.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
One day football will see the light and move to a stopped clock sport. I've not heard one downside to it (don't say "it'll be like American sports and have adverts". It won't. It's completely different to NFL

Time wasting - pointless
ball out of play a lot? - Don't worry.
Faked head injuries? - Pointless. Clock is stopped.
Arguing over how much time is added? - Gone.
Substitutes needing to be hurried up by the ref? - Gone

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
This is exactly what I and many others called for in the aftermath of the Fulham debacle. Players are now widely and openly abusing the head injury protocol, using it as a tactic and it is literally ruining games as a spectacle (which is of course the precise objective).

This needs to get recognised as a "thing" that is happening now. It needs to get highlighted. And steps need to be put in place to stamp it out, to make sure that EVERY head-clutcher has to go through a mandatory off-field process with the medical staff for several minutes before they can rejoin the game. If its genuine then its certainly worthwhile from a safety point of view. If they're faking then, well, more fool them. I would allow the manager to bring on a "concussion sub" in their place whilst the head-clutcher is being assessed, who can then either stay on the pitch, or come back off once the assessment has been made.

Seems fair to me.

I was half watching the Spurs-Chelsea game yesterday. At one point Richarlison went down with a "head injury" in the Chelsea 6 yard box. Play went on, but Richarlison didn't realise that Spurs still had the ball - hence he stayed down, presumably looking to waste time. However, Spurs were about to deliver another ball into the area, and all Richarlison did was to deprive his team of a decent opportunity.

[Bizarrely the Ref then re-started play by giving the Chelsea keeper a drop ball - my understanding of the rules is that it should have been a drop ball to Spurs from the place the ball was when the ref blew the whistle...?]

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He's wrong. Its not good. Its not funny to watch.

But admitting he does shithousery and that he does like it still puts him above all the wanker players who pretends they never do this stuff.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
You don’t see Brighton doing half this stuff because we are normally the team dominating play and trying to break these shitty teams down. I dream of us drawing Fulham in the 6th round (if we get there) going 1-0 up and then doing everything to them that they did to us…..

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I agree and a lot of it could be eliminated with refs managing the game better. Nip time wasting in the bud straight away, and not wait until the 85th minute. Also VAR should be used to determine head injury stops in play. If it is clearly not a head injury and the player is clutching his head it's a straight red card. Any player that sits down to stop play is booked.
The right answer.

This would be so easy to set-up. 100% red for play acting a head injury, it’s so insulting to those who have had real head injuries and concussion. Will it happen? I hope so but it’ll probably take a long time. Meanwhile we’re the sort of team that will really suffer from the play acting.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This doesn't tell us anything we don't already know of course, certainly from recent bitter experience. But I found it really depressing reading the words of a player so openly discussing - even celebrating - the cheating that goes on. Describing cheating as being "clever" and "cute" - sorry mate, don't dress it up. Its cheating. Its deception. "You've got to kill the game". Bloody hell. Cheers for that. Thats what we all pay to go and watch isn't it.

I know I'm just howling at the moon with this, but christ. WHAT an arsehole.
It won't stop by hoping players grow a conscience, the only way to stop it is if the refs take action.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The derision of VAR is totally justified. There's no reason you can't tackle both. But for the housery, I'd go .....

1) If the ref has stopped the game for an injury to you, you must get on a stretcher and be removed from the field. Refusal to do so is a booking. An independent medical professional has to check you're ok off the pitch. The ref can wave you back on at his discretion.

2) Any player found to have faked a head injury is given an automatic 10 game ban.

3) Time gets added on, properly. Ie world cup style. Referees have discretion to signal to (for example a keeper taking ages, that he is adding double the time being used to the match timings)

4) Referees assessors instructed to mark refs up for the number of bookings given for cynical attempts to slow the game down (like all the players deciding to go for a drink during the first half, that kind of thing)
Pretty much the same solutions as I offered on another thread.

I would add that if a player is injured sufficiently for the game to be halted he must be substituted. If he decides he's OK, he has the option to be substituted or to enjoy a red card.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
One day football will see the light and move to a stopped clock sport. I've not heard one downside to it (don't say "it'll be like American sports and have adverts". It won't. It's completely different to NFL

Time wasting - pointless
ball out of play a lot? - Don't worry.
Faked head injuries? - Pointless. Clock is stopped.
Arguing over how much time is added? - Gone.
Substitutes needing to be hurried up by the ref? - Gone
It's not just about time wasting, it's about disrupting the flow of the game. Again and again against Fulham we are pulling them left and right, dragging them out of position, then one of their players went down clutching his head and stopped the game. The energy went out of our move and we had to restart.

It was very effective and the ref kept falling for it.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Two opposing philosophies for stopping the opposition scoring.

Brighton - If we’ve got possession of the ball, they can’t score.

Trippier - If the ball is out of play, they can’t score.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Always thought Trippier was a knob. This just confirms it.

I mean, who the hell would move from sunny Madrid to f***ing Newcastle?
The only thing that was missing from their defeat on Sunday was him getting sent off!

in one of their games recently he was persistently moving the ball for a free kick even after the ref had moved it back. When the ref eventually got his foam canister out to mark the spot, as the ref was walking away Trippier picked up the blob of foam and moved it.

Why can’t something like that be retrospectively punished? There ultimately has to be some sort of respect for the officials, even if they’re wrong.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

el punal

There was another article in the Sunday Times this weekend advocating retrospective bans for cheating, highlighting the incident in the women's game where Ella Toone (I think) was shown a straight red for violent conduct, her opponent rolling around on the floor clutching her face, etc. Subsequent study of the footage showed it was pure simulation, so the red card was rescinded, and more importantly the cheating player received a two game ban. While there is intrinsic risk with ignoring "head injuries" during play, even if it's probable the player is feigning it to gain an advantage, I don't see why retrospective sanctions couldn't be imposed where it is clear the player was trying to dupe the referee. I believe that would soon put a stop to this kind of shitty behaviour.
I agree with everything you say, but also, to reinforce solving this problem, why not ensure that those fake ‘serious head injuries’ are dealt with at the time as they do in rugby. For a player that gets a bang on the head then it should be an automatic H.I.A. (head injury assessment) administered by a qualified medic off the field. As refs have to immediately stop a game for a head injury the player that feigns that injury would think twice (maybe) about trying tactically to disrupt the game - i.e. cheat.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There was another article in the Sunday Times this weekend advocating retrospective bans for cheating, highlighting the incident in the women's game where Ella Toone (I think) was shown a straight red for violent conduct, her opponent rolling around on the floor clutching her face, etc. Subsequent study of the footage showed it was pure simulation, so the red card was rescinded, and more importantly the cheating player received a two game ban. While there is intrinsic risk with ignoring "head injuries" during play, even if it's probable the player is feigning it to gain an advantage, I don't see why retrospective sanctions couldn't be imposed where it is clear the player was trying to dupe the referee. I believe that would soon put a stop to this kind of shitty behaviour.
This is a really interesting one, and you can see a video and analysis of the incident here:

Rehanne Skinner, the Spurs manager who's player got Toone sent off, said this about the decision to reverse the red and ban Summanen:

"It's opened a can of worms, I'm not sure what we're advocating. We were shocked, disappointed and I'm unimpressed with the way this whole process has happened," Skinner said. "I'm slightly concerned for the example we're trying to set for the wider game and also for kids watching on."

"Whenever you're raising your hands in that situation and going after a player aggressively, if we're not interpreting the rule of violent conduct in the right way, then that's a bigger problem," added Rehanne Skinner. "What precedent are we trying to set? If you see that on the street it's not OK."

So lets unpick this. Yes, as Toone got up, she pushed Summanen on the arm after they got into a tangle. Not overly aggressively, but there's a push. Summanen took this as a cue to roll around clutching her face, in the most blatant example of play-acting you could ever see, but successfully deceived the ref into giving Toone a red. Yet not a WORD from Summanen's manager about her players behaviour in all this. I mean what chance have you got when managers are THIS myopic ??

Skinner is an utter dickhead. This is EXACTLY the example we want to set in the game. Cheats actually getting punished - whats not to like ? I hope this sets a precedent that filters throughout the entire game. If there is clear video evidence like this, then retrospective action can and must be taken. Howard Webb should be all over this, and implementing it from top to bottom quicksmart.

Last edited:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The only thing that was missing from their defeat on Sunday was him getting sent off!

in one of their games recently he was persistently moving the ball for a free kick even after the ref had moved it back. When the ref eventually got his foam canister out to mark the spot, as the ref was walking away Trippier picked up the blob of foam and moved it.

Why can’t something like that be retrospectively punished? There ultimately has to be some sort of respect for the officials, even if they’re wrong.
When I was being taught to referee we were instructed to learn to walk/run backwards so we could extend our field of vision and watch for the ball-moving shithousery. Running / walking backwards is a skill that top level officials no longer seem to posess.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
If you look really closely you can see that the Tottenham player very briefly/subtly goes to grab her face immediately after the initial tackle, and thinks better of it, even before the push, and then obviously fully commits to the simulation of a head injury following the push to her body.

I would ‘LOVE’ to see this retrospective form of review come into play for every sustained ‘head injury’ in every game. I think that would do the job and we would see this nipped in the bud!

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Trippier is owned by Saudi Arabia.
I'd imagine any sense of ethics and 'fair play' he may have held got left behind a LONG time ago.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This is a really interesting one, and you can see a video and analysis of the incident here:

Rehanne Skinner, the Spurs manager who's player got Toone sent off, said this about the decision to reverse the red and ban Summanen:

"It's opened a can of worms, I'm not sure what we're advocating. We were shocked, disappointed and I'm unimpressed with the way this whole process has happened," Skinner said. "I'm slightly concerned for the example we're trying to set for the wider game and also for kids watching on."

"Whenever you're raising your hands in that situation and going after a player aggressively, if we're not interpreting the rule of violent conduct in the right way, then that's a bigger problem," added Rehanne Skinner. "What precedent are we trying to set? If you see that on the street it's not OK."

So lets unpick this. Yes, as Toone got up, she pushed Summanen on the arm after they got into a tangle. Not overly aggressively, but there's a push. Summanen took this as a cue to roll around clutching her face, in the most blatant example of play-acting you could ever see, but successfully deceived the ref into giving Toone a red. Yet not a WORD from Summanen's manager about her players behaviour in all this. I mean what chance have you got when managers are THIS myopic ??

Skinner is an utter dickhead. This is EXACTLY the example we want to set in the game. Cheats actually getting punished - whats not to like ? I hope this sets a precedent that filters throughout the entire game. If there is clear video evidence like this, then retrospective action can and must be taken. Howard Webb should be all over this, and implementing it from top to bottom quicksmart.
I thought one of the great things about the women's game that people are always banging on about on here is how much fairer it is and how this sort of thing just doesn't go on.

pornomagboy

wake me up before you gogo who needs potter when
May 16, 2006
peacehaven
Newcastle have put £11-£12m price tag that's a bargain

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here