[Football] Kieran Trippier on shithousery - "ITS GOOD!"

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Reactions: cjd

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If Newcastle finish 8th and us 7th you’ll be happy…
Confused Confusion GIF

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm not down with teams using it as their core tactic(Villa:bigwave:) but I also think some people go way over the top in their outrage. Game management as Trippier calls it has been going on for years. Probably since the first game competitive game was played.

Back in the day it was scything down opponents, giving them a 'reducer' etc. The last five minutes of games were spent running to the corner flag with the ball rather than at the opposition goal. Goalkeepers have always taken their own sweet time over goal kicks.

I think most of the current Albion related angst is down to the fact that we're currently the team that dominates the ball and so it's much more noticeable as we're the one's whose flow is being interrupted.

If the shoe was on the other foot however and we were a side under the cosh, desperately scrapping for survival, not one person here would complain if we won a vital game 1-0 and did it through slowing the game down. Not one of us. Not one. Anyone thinking they would is deceiving themselves as we have also done clock management plenty of times and it's not been mentioned once on here.

It's not enjoyable when it's our team that gets affected and it's definitely not cool to base your entire strategy around it but it is a part of the game, always has been and always will.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not down with teams using it as their core tactic(Villa:bigwave:) but I also think some people go way over the top in their outrage. Game management as Trippier calls it has been going on for years. Probably since the first game competitive game was played.

Back in the day it was scything down opponents, giving them a 'reducer' etc. The last five minutes of games were spent running to the corner flag with the ball rather than at the opposition goal. Goalkeepers have always taken their own sweet time over goal kicks.

I think most of the current Albion related angst is down to the fact that we're currently the team that dominates the ball and so it's much more noticeable as we're the one's whose flow is being interrupted.

If the shoe was on the other foot however and we were a side under the cosh, desperately scrapping for survival, not one person here would complain if we won a vital game 1-0 and did it through slowing the game down. Not one of us. Not one. Anyone thinking they would is deceiving themselves as we have also done clock management plenty of times and it's not been mentioned once on here.

It's not enjoyable when it's our team that gets affected and it's definitely not cool to base your entire strategy around it but it is a part of the game, always has been and always will.
You rightly state that slowing the game down has been part and parcel for years, and BHA have been as guilty of it at times than any other. Dawdling with throw-ins, goal kicks, subs etc.

However.

If BHA were going down feigning head injuries throughout the match in order to slow it down and kill the game, then yeah, I'd have a BIG problem with that. Its embarrassing.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Always thought Trippier was a knob. This just confirms it.

I mean, who the hell would move from sunny Madrid to f***ing Newcastle?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I started watching their game highlights yesterday evening and could only manage the first half before turning it off.
Cheat after cheat with some flowing football in between.
They're so prosaic too. If you're going to do it, do it outrageously:

When the kids were small, we used to read them the 'Horrible Henry' books. They liked Henry because, although he was naughty, he was an open book. Howe reminds me of Henry's brother Perfect Peter: Pretends to be nice, but is really a little snide, willing to stoop even lower than Henry to get what he wants.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
You rightly state that slowing the game down has been part and parcel for years, and BHA have been as guilty of it at times than any other. Dawdling with throw-ins, goal kicks, subs etc.

However.

If BHA were going down feigning head injuries throughout the match in order to slow it down and kill the game, then yeah, I'd have a BIG problem with that. Its embarrassing.
Yeah, the head injury stuff is a bit shit. Especially as the ref is in a no win situation. Retroactive punishment might be the only way to stop that.

Maybe there could be some kind of head injury protocol that can be followed like in the NFL. Player who goes down with head injury is taken off the pitch for an independent medical check. Or just let the physios immediately on while the game continues around them.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
They're so prosaic too. If you're going to do it, do it outrageously:

When the kids were small, we used to read them the 'Horrible Henry' books. They liked Henry because, although he was naughty, he was an open book. Howe reminds me of Henry's brother Perfect Peter: Pretends to be nice, but is really a little snide, willing to stoop even lower than Henry to get what he wants.

No Horrid Henry is a right c**t, he is so unlikeable I just don't get it. I've read a bit and he is so unbelievably obnoxious I cant and wont cheer for him. I just hope for him to get his comeuppance but the amount of books indicate it will never happen.

in fact they are all ****s in that series. dont like Wimpy kid either. I did like Timmy Failure a lot but sadly my kid didnt.

oh and back to topic, hate cheating but I do like shithousery like Vardy against the crowd or Maupay and Palace etc. = more like sledging in cricket

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
As noted on the Pl games 1/3/23 thread, Newcastle are in a terrible run of form, and failed yesterday, so Trippier's dark art is doing him much good.
….yes it’s all well n good talking about it and smiling when you r winning/drawing and up in the top four (they’ve slipped to 5th) recently…..but don’t moan about it when other teams use it against you and you are losing

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think probably not. We've confused each other :lolol:
I meant the Europe’s place thing. If Newcastle won yesterday and finish outside the top 7 Europe would only go down to 6th in the league innit.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yeah, the head injury stuff is a bit shit. Especially as the ref is in a no win situation. Retroactive punishment might be the only way to stop that.

Maybe there could be some kind of head injury protocol that can be followed like in the NFL. Player who goes down with head injury is taken off the pitch for an independent medical check. Or just let the physios immediately on while the game continues around them.
This is exactly what I and many others called for in the aftermath of the Fulham debacle. Players are now widely and openly abusing the head injury protocol, using it as a tactic and it is literally ruining games as a spectacle (which is of course the precise objective).

This needs to get recognised as a "thing" that is happening now. It needs to get highlighted. And steps need to be put in place to stamp it out, to make sure that EVERY head-clutcher has to go through a mandatory off-field process with the medical staff for several minutes before they can rejoin the game. If its genuine then its certainly worthwhile from a safety point of view. If they're faking then, well, more fool them. I would allow the manager to bring on a "concussion sub" in their place whilst the head-clutcher is being assessed, who can then either stay on the pitch, or come back off once the assessment has been made.

Seems fair to me.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I meant the Europe’s place thing. If Newcastle won yesterday and finish outside the top 7 Europe would only go down to 6th in the league innit.
I was genuinely unaware the League Cup offers a potential place in Europe. Thats news to me!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I was genuinely unaware the League Cup offers a potential place in Europe. Thats news to me!
Yeh afraid so - so Man U win was the obvious choice yesterday and decent .

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
For me the retrospective analysis of matches should be done and those deemed to be cheating punished. It is really hard for the ref to get it in real time but if players know they can't get away with it (in the long run) then they won't do it. Best way is match bans (as can't see anything else mattering to a player).

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Regarding the 'reducer', you'd get a booking for it or - at best - a ticking off that meant the next foul would be a card. Most players didn't roll around pretending to be injured - their managers would have been furious with them for showing that weakness and encouraging the opposition. Players hanging around the corner flag is pretty much legitimate as the ball is in play - teams can pile in and do something about it. Likewise, sides passing the ball about to give opponents the runaround. There's an element of risk involved. Goalkeepers, I agree, have always pushed their luck but it's not so long (well, a couple of decades) since there was a directive that they couldn't hold the ball for more than 6 seconds and I do think refs used to hurry them up more on goal-kicks.

There seems to be a corrosive view now that feigning injury, extraordinarily slow substitutions (remembering there only used to be one per team per game rather than the current fiasco) and teams being allowed to perform half a slickly choreographed West End musical after every goal are all a totally acceptable norm. Refs certainly don't seem bothered about adding that time on, let alone compensating for all the VAR checks.

I know a lot of that stuff at the top was a bygone era but the point is that matches were 90 minutes back then and they're still meant to be 90 minutes now. As fans, we're all being cheated. Keith Hackett had it right on Twitter yesterday. Get back to players being treated off the field and bring in independent time-keeping. If the referee is only going to add 3 minutes for 8 minutes of stoppages, take that decision out of his hands. Shorten the halves and clock stops when the ball is dead - end of story. Teams will still time waste but ultimately we'll get to see a proper match (and might even be home by midnight).

The first time a ref picks up a physio's bag and lobs it off the field, as used to be a frequent occurrence, I'll give it the biggest cheer of the season!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here