Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kieran McKenna

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
All true, and exactly why Potter would be a massive retrograde step. He only really turned results around with five great midfielders (Bissouma, Caicedo, Mwepu, Mac Allister, Gross) and Trossard playing off them. He did, admittedly, start the next season very well without two of them but he still had three. Now four of those have gone and Gross might also be off. In the last season we've played Milner, Gross. Moder, Veltman, Hinshlewood and Lamptey at right back. The first four added together wouldn't make a quick player. I'm a bit happier with Barco / Estupinian to choose from on the left but they'll need Mitoma in front of them.

Potter returning to a mixed reception from a divided fanbase to a squad that's worse than the one he left is a huge risk IMO. Even if we do get McKenna we still need to shore up in exactly the same areas.

Sadly, we're a much a harder sell to a new coach than when RDZ rocked up.
I said elsewhere that Roberto has damaged our reputation, especially in two key aspects:

- recruitment, consistently bashing our model in public, and then saying his vision (spending plans) could not be aligned with the club - not a good look.

- other coaches think he’s a genius - see pep, Klopp et al … yet he couldn’t get a tune out of us post Christmas, near relegation form - injuries aside, not a good look.

Your comments around Potter are spot on, he’d be inheriting a squad not much better/proven than the one he picked up from Hughton - with Dunk now creaking…

It’s not great… littler wonder prospective coaches will want to ponder… and as you say, we’re no where near as attractive a proposition as we were the day Roberto rocked up.

Decline, asset stripping, average recruitment… a combination of all three…

I live in hope, we can turn it round, but I reckon it’ll take two seasons minimum… sustainability is key and patience 😂

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It’s possible that things that go on behind the scenes are the things that clubs and owners take notice of, that fans know nothing about. 87 points in a very competitive Championship season is not to be sniffed at.
Is any of this coming from clubs or owners though? Any link at this point seems to be purely media speculation.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
All true, and exactly why Potter would be a massive retrograde step. He only really turned results around with five great midfielders (Bissouma, Caicedo, Mwepu, Mac Allister, Gross) and Trossard playing off them. He did, admittedly, start the next season very well without two of them but he still had three. Now four of those have gone and Gross might also be off. In the last season we've played Milner, Gross. Moder, Veltman, Hinshlewood and Lamptey at right back. The first four added together wouldn't make a quick player. I'm a bit happier with Barco / Estupinian to choose from on the left but they'll need Mitoma in front of them.

Potter returning to a mixed reception from a divided fanbase to a squad that's worse than the one he left is a huge risk IMO. Even if we do get McKenna we still need to shore up in exactly the same areas.

Sadly, we're a much a harder sell to a new coach than when RDZ rocked up.
Anything can be spun though. You don't like Potter and see this as a reason not to employ Potter. Whereas I see it as a reason to employ, he's already built a great midfield out of raw pieces and can do so again, none of Bissouma, Caicedo, Mac Allister had any decent experience prior to being thrust into our central midfield and Potter made it work. He changed our style and blooded future stars all whilst keeping us away from the relegation zone, thats proven. I worry that someone like McKenna with little experience may not find it as straightforward

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I said elsewhere that Roberto has damaged our reputation, especially in two key aspects:

- recruitment, consistently bashing our model in public, and then saying his vision (spending plans) could not be aligned with the club - not a good look.

- other coaches think he’s a genius - see pep, Klopp et al … yet he couldn’t get a tune out of us post Christmas, near relegation form - injuries aside, not a good look.

Your comments around Potter are spot on, he’d be inheriting a squad not much better/proven than the one he picked up from Hughton - with Dunk now creaking…

It’s not great… littler wonder prospective coaches will want to ponder… we’re no where near as attractive a proposition as we were the day Roberto rocked up.

Decline, asset stripping, average recruitment… a combination of all three…

I live in hope, we can turn it round, but I reckon it’ll take two seasons minimum… sustainability is key and patience 😂
I completely disagree that Potter would be inheriting "a squad not much better/proven than the one he picked up from Hughton".

In 2019 we had a 1st XI that was very much borderline relegation material way off the Top 10 with stars like Murray and Knockaert on the wane. The bench was mediocre. The bright sparks were Dunk, Gross, an emerging March and the potential in Biss.

Now we have a 1st XI that is mid-table but with the potential to push for a European place. There is genuine competition for places. Excluding Dunk and Gross who are still with us I think any of the remaining players from 2019 would struggle to get into the 1st XI of the Class of 2024.

Added to that, Potter / the incoming manager has a much better crop of youth to work with in Verbruggen, Rushworth , Hinshelwood, Barco, Baleba, Enciso, Buonanotte, Ferguson, Osman, Sarmiento and Moran.

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
I completely disagree that Potter would be inheriting "a squad not much better/proven than the one he picked up from Hughton".

In 2019 we had a 1st XI that was very much borderline relegation material way off the Top 10 with stars like Murray and Knockaert on the wane. The bench was mediocre. The bright sparks were Dunk, Gross, an emerging March and the potential in Biss.

Now we have a 1st XI that is mid-table but with the potential to push for a European place. There is genuine competition for places. Excluding Dunk and Gross who are still with us I think any of the remaining players from 2019 would struggle to get into the 1st XI of the Class of 2024.

Added to that, Potter / the incoming manager has a much better crop of youth to work with in Verbruggen, Rushworth , Hinshelwood, Barco, Baleba, Enciso, Buonanotte, Ferguson, Osman, Sarmiento and Moran.
Added to that maybe future signings in the summer which the incomer may have some input in.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
For Potter to return there we’re need to be a number of unlikely occurrences in my view…

1. GP to want/need to do it
2. TB eat humble pie and re employ a m@n who walked out on him
3. TB to give said man a pay rise
4. BHAFC to re employ GPs back room team
5. Senior pros to be accepting of GP
6. Fans to be accepting of GP
Amd possibly TB to have planned this in advance

Not happening in my book.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
If he’s offered the United job, as a fan and ex employee he would take it ahead of everything.

I don’t think he will be offered the job yet however, it will be a pedigree manager, it almost has to be to clear out the club and start again

I could see KM picking us ahead of Chelsea though, which maybe why they are using Fab to show they are looking and speaking to others elsewhere

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

A mid-table team that played most of the season without March, Mitoma, Enciso, Estupinan, Ferguson, Milner, Moder, Veltman and a 3 month spell without Pedro, Hinshelwood, Welbeck, Webster and Lamptey.

I'd argue that finishing mid-table whilst missing all those players is still a good achievement. Inheriting that mid-table team with all of the above available, is in a far better place than the one he picked up from Hughton by such a substantial margin it's insane. For context, this was Highton's last game in charge:

1716543803540.png

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

I disagree - I’m amazed how good we think we are… Moran ? That’s a stretch, I’m still unconvinced by Buonanotte, flashes aside… Sarmiento - give over and Rushworth won’t be here, someone else mentioned Offiah - really ? Barco is green and not a FB … and we don’t know how Osman will adapt … hmmmm

We could easily lose Mitoma and Gross this close season, especially if the latter shines for Germany… even a Gross in decline is a better option than Hinsh starting the season in CM.

We’re in transition, a dangerous one.

This appointment is pivotal, and I remain unconvinced by the reported options.

Losing Roberto isn’t as simple to solve as we think, we’re at a crossroads.

Whether we go the way of Stoke, Southampton et al remains to be seen.

In actuality, losing Roberto is FAR worse than when we lost Potter, squad wise and reputation wise… this will be tricky, very tricky.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
I disagree - I’m amazed how good we think we are… Moran ? That’s a stretch, I’m still unconvinced by Buonanotte, flashes aside… Sarmiento - give over and Rushworth won’t be here, someone else mentioned Offiah - really ? Barco is green and not a FB … and we don’t know how Osman will adapt … hmmmm

We could easily lose Mitoma and Gross this close season, especially if the latter shines for Germany… even a Gross in decline is a better option than Hinsh starting the season in CM.

We’re in transition, a dangerous one.

This appointment is pivotal, and I remain unconvinced by the reported options.

Losing Roberto isn’t as simple to solve as we think, we’re at a crossroads.

Whether we go the way of Stoke, Southampton et al remains to be seen.

In actuality, losing Roberto is FAR worse than when we lost Potter, squad wise and reputation wise… this will be tricky, very tricky.
I bet you're fun at parties?

It is a very crucial appointment for sure, more tricky than when Potter left. I disagree with your assessment of the players because what you're not acknowledging is the improvement in those youngsters after a season of either Premier League or Championship experience! Added to that the return of key players we lost for so long and the addition in the transfer window we comfortably have a top 10 squad. With the right manager we can do quite well I think, so yes the manager is key but the squad is good as it is and much better than you seem to think.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
This will run until the end of next week United won’t make announcement on Ten Hag until after the cup final, Chelsea are talking to lots of candidates with McKenna being one of those and we have probably made a strong statement that we want him as first choice.

His stock is high so however frustrating it is it’s pretty normal for someone to weigh up options and see what they want to do. Club will be close to this and will know how confident they are in appointing their preferred candidate and will be working on back up options just need to trust them.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I bet you're fun at parties?

It is a very crucial appointment for sure, more tricky than when Potter left. I disagree with your assessment of the players because what you're not acknowledging is the improvement in those youngsters after a season of either Premier League or Championship experience! Added to that the return of key players we lost for so long and the addition in the transfer window we comfortably have a top 10 squad. With the right manager we can do quite well I think, so yes the manager is key but the squad is good as it is and much better than you seem to think.
I’m a riot at parties.

This is football, our club and I give a shit. Ultimately we’re managing decline… I’m not sure I’d want the job right now.

That said, we’re a better option than utd - that’s for sure.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
For Potter to return there we’re need to be a number of unlikely occurrences in my view…

1. GP to want/need to do it
2. TB eat humble pie and re employ a m@n who walked out on him
3. TB to give said man a pay rise
4. BHAFC to re employ GPs back room team
5. Senior pros to be accepting of GP
6. Fans to be accepting of GP
Amd possibly TB to have planned this in advance

Not happening in my book.
Agree with above with one exception, I’m not sure TB has to eat any pie??

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

On that basis, then, Potter would be a good fit - he moulded something good out of a poor team he inherited from the Hughton days. Starting again from an improved position, all the better. He's shown that he can develop and build to top ten PL level. - so do it again please, thank you very much.

Whether the fans that still hate him regardless would ever come round is a different question.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here