Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kieran McKenna

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I have no doubt McKenna will take either of the Chelsea or United jobs.

The disappointing thing about this, is how disastrous lack of self-awareness of these two clubs.
The likelihood of McKenna being the answer to their problems is slim to none.

Chelsea don't seem to know what they want and are unlikely to realise they have found it when they eventually stumble on it.
United are a basket case club and need someone with authority to come in and change the culture.

The likely discrepancies between the clubs, the fans and McKenna's expectations are likely to be perpetually at odds until he is unceremoniously sacked.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
There’s no doubt in my mind that McKenna would want the United job. He’s worked there before and is a fan.
United approaching him has probably worked in our favour as if they hadn’t he’d have probably accepted the Chelsea bag of gold already.
However, the timing of United’s end of season being a week later than Chelsea’s means that United won’t be making a decision for a week or two yet re their manager situation.
I don’t think Chelsea will go balls out for McKenna now that they know United may get him. So they are moving on as their fans will demand a new manager in a matter of days.
If United go for a more experienced option, Chelsea decide to go for Maresca early next week, it’s still possible that we would be McKenna’s only choice. Not the greatest situation but it’s possible.
It does then give us plenty of time to be contingency planning.
I expect that Russell Martin is on the list. He may well want to stay at Southampton if they beat Leeds on Sunday. If not, then I think he’ll be available as he’ll be sacked.
I expect Potter is also on that list.
I just hope that we have one or two more inspiring options as well.
In a weird way if you want McKenna then you really ought to be cheering Man U on in cup final.

Will be much harder for them to bin off ETH if he's just won the cup.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Can someone explain Russell Martin to me? As far as I know, his teams knock the ball about nicely and finish mid-table in the lower leagues. He's also failed to win automatic promotion from the Championship despite being in charge of one of the newly-relegated clubs, with all their advantages. Other than being born in Brighton, I'm puzzled as to why he even gets a mention. What am I missing?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Can someone explain Russell Martin to me? As far as I know, his teams knock the ball about nicely and finish mid-table in the lower leagues. He's also failed to win automatic promotion from the Championship despite being in charge of one of the newly-relegated clubs, with all their advantages. Other than being born in Brighton, I'm puzzled as to why he even gets a mention. What am I missing?
Nothing. He's shit

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
In a weird way if you want McKenna then you really ought to be cheering Man U on in cup final.

We should all be cheering United in the Cup anyway as that would prevent Chelsea from getting into the Europa League, and Boehly & Co will have to stomach slumming it in the UECL.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
He went to Varndean. As far as I can make out that's it. :D

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

True, but....... f*** them. Come on Citeh!

el punal

I have no doubt McKenna will take either of the Chelsea or United jobs.

The disappointing thing about this, is how disastrous lack of self-awareness of these two clubs.
The likelihood of McKenna being the answer to their problems is slim to none.

Chelsea don't seem to know what they want and are unlikely to realise they have found it when they eventually stumble on it.
United are a basket case club and need someone with authority to come in and change the culture.

The likely discrepancies between the clubs, the fans and McKenna's expectations are likely to be perpetually at odds until he is unceremoniously sacked.
You would think that with the reputation that both of these basket case clubs have a coach with little top level experience wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole. As some pundits have suggested Brighton would be the perfect fit to hone your skills as a progressive coach without the brickbats that would come with joining Chelsea or Man Utd.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
By any stretch of the imagination that's a very very pessimistic spin on things 😯
Welbz decline, Dunk decline, Veltman decline, Gross decline, Milner declined 😂 March - probable decline, due to injury… Lamptey - declined… Moder (see March) …

Given that around 4 of the above have been key to our PL years … the core in some instances, I’d say we’re in decline. It’s not terminal but we’re hardly massively attractive either.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We should all be cheering United in the Cup anyway as that would prevent Chelsea from getting into the Europa League, and Boehly & Co will have to stomach slumming it in the UECL.
That would be sweet. Just enough into Europe for their financial shenanigans to come under EUFA scrutiny, but not either of the glamour cups.

Big Vern

Feb 28, 2024
So, McKenna is waiting on United to make a decision on Ten Hag, if that doesn’t transpire, then possibly Chelsea, however if he doesn’t fancy that he’ll come to us until the United job is offered to him. Feck off, I want a manager willing to walk over hot coals to manage my club, a manager who’s heart is in the job and with the club, fanciful, naive, yeah, probably, but that’s what I want, so there….

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Welbz decline, Dunk decline, Veltman decline, Gross decline, Milner declined 😂 March - probable decline, due to injury… Lamptey - declined… Moder (see March) …

Given that around 4 of the above have been key to our PL years … the core in some instances, I’d say we’re in decline. It’s not terminal but we’re hardly massively attractive either.
Enciso, JPVH, Pedro, Gilmour, Hinshelwood, Bart, Barco, Baleba and Goodnight all on the up

I’ll stick with glass half full rather than empty as long as we don’t end up with Martin, Moyes, Rosenior or Cooper when I might smash the fecking glass.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

Well, for what it’s worth, I thought Welbz had his best season for us last year. Gross was POTS….ok, he tired towards the end, but he played virtually every match. Did you see Veltman at Newcastle and against Villa? And Moder is actually on the up (nice little cameo at RB v United).
Dunk is clearly past his peak - but it’s a high peak, so not too worried. Likewise Milner. And we’ve known about Lamptey for a couple of years (post his injury).

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

I don't think it makes a difference. United sacked LVG two days after he won the league cup, and they won the LC last season too. A trophy is great, but their league performance isn't masked by it

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

Welbeck has a good season last season
Dunk is still a strong defender, even if last season was his worst for a while
Veltman has had a decent season
Gross won both player of the season awards
Milner was actually really good until his injury
March and Moder, who knows?

Balanced with Pedro, van Hecke, Mitoma, Adingra, Osman, Gilmour, Baleba, Verbruggen, Enciso, Barco, Ferguson, Buonanotte, Hinshelwood, (and maybe Sarmiento, Rushworth, Offiah, O'Mahony and Mazilu)

The future ain't that bad

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Time for McKenna to stop p*ssing about and make up his mind. He has four clear cut options although I fear the bridges with Ipswich are already burnt. Just pick one you git and get on with it.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I'd be very surprised if he ends up here now. Moving to us as a 'stepping stone' makes more sense from the outside but you couldn't blame him for taking a £50m contract at Chelsea or United, he probably has the self-belief to think he'll be able to succeed in those jobs too given his recent record. Whether he actually will, or if he'll get the time to do so, is a different matter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here