Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kieran McKenna

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Fans are completely fickle. Potter would be a hero after a couple of weeks if he beat a Palace of a Chelsea or sorted out our midfield.
Yes, true. However he would have to do it, like you say, in a couple of weeks as he would have zero 'honeymoon period' and there would be zero tolerance. It could all turn very nasty very quickly.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
It's crazy that either Chelsea or United would consider a novice coach whose never managed a PL game.

Remember the days when even a decent PL manager was considered not experienced enough for Chelsea or United as they'd never managed in European competition.

It's nuts that Maresca and McKenna are so lauded for a good championship season as Iraola has been exceptional in PL and previously in Spain.
True, from all the names mentioned I think Iraola would be a better fit at all three clubs!

We couldn’t prise him away…..could we?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
McKenna would be a wealthy fool to go to Man Utd or Chelsea. Their fans and players won't know who he is and will chew him up and spit him out before Christmas. Don't know if Albion actually want him either or if it's all just speculation, but as he will be just one on a well curated shortlist with Brighton, I don't care if he comes or not to be honest.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
McKenna would be a wealthy fool to go to Man Utd or Chelsea. Their fans and players won't know who he is and will chew him up and spit him out before Christmas. Don't know if Albion actually want him either or if it's all just speculation, but as he will be just one on a well curated shortlist with Brighton, I don't care if he comes or not to be honest.
Most reputable sources stating that he’s spoken to both Chelsea and Manchester United already, he’s definitely going - the question is where to. We obviously can’t compete with those clubs.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Man Utd fans and players would. ;)

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I see where you're coming from. I absolutely agree that we shouldn't worry unduly if we don't make this appointment, as McKenna will just be one of several names on Uncle Tony's Magic Spreadsheet. That said, I do care a little bit. If he's good enough to be the first name on that list, then it would be nice to get the deal over the line.

But it's going to be bloody Chelsea, isn't it?

Heigh ho!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I have a sneaky suspicion he will want Manure as first choice but Im not sure he's their first choice... Tuchel looks better for them... look at Moyes and Soklsjaer..... but I reckon he'd choose Brighton over Chelsea.... for all the money Chelsea could destroy his reputation.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I have a sneaky suspicion he will want Manure as first choice but Im not sure he's their first choice... Tuchel looks better for them... look at Moyes and Soklsjaer..... but I reckon he'd choose Brighton over Chelsea.... for all the money Chelsea could destroy his reputation.
He’ll take the money, they ALWAYS do.

We’d be naive in the extreme expecting him to pick us… with a squad on the decline and a lack of funds to even paper over the cracks…

If he comes to us, it’ll be because no one else actually offers him the job…

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
He’ll take the money, they ALWAYS do.

We’d be naive in the extreme expecting him to pick us… with a squad on the decline and a lack of funds to even paper over the cracks…

If he comes to us, it’ll be because no one else actually offers him the job…
Plus, any manager at a high level will back themselves to succeed where others have failed. Chelsea are the equivalent of a very hot but deeply troubled new partner. “I can change her, where guys before couldn’t”.

And then, shock, when the manager comes in and realises after a couple of amazing shags how disturbed and unstable they truly are, they leave through the window during the night, with a big fat cheque as reward for their failure.

I think that metaphor ran away from me a bit there.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Has any reputable source discussed if Brighton has contacted Ipswich/McKenna?
I don't think any reputable source (that I trust) have posted anything concrete on any of these managerial appointments. It's all the usual "X is believed to be top of Ys list" and "Bs representatives were seen in London and are believed to be speaking with B". It's all been bookie/Romano-driven blind speculation at this point.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
There’s no doubt in my mind that McKenna would want the United job. He’s worked there before and is a fan.
United approaching him has probably worked in our favour as if they hadn’t he’d have probably accepted the Chelsea bag of gold already.
However, the timing of United’s end of season being a week later than Chelsea’s means that United won’t be making a decision for a week or two yet re their manager situation.
I don’t think Chelsea will go balls out for McKenna now that they know United may get him. So they are moving on as their fans will demand a new manager in a matter of days.
If United go for a more experienced option, Chelsea decide to go for Maresca early next week, it’s still possible that we would be McKenna’s only choice. Not the greatest situation but it’s possible.
It does then give us plenty of time to be contingency planning.
I expect that Russell Martin is on the list. He may well want to stay at Southampton if they beat Leeds on Sunday. If not, then I think he’ll be available as he’ll be sacked.
I expect Potter is also on that list.
I just hope that we have one or two more inspiring options as well.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Plus, any manager at a high level will back themselves to succeed where others have failed. Chelsea are the equivalent of a very hot but deeply troubled new partner. “I can change her, where guys before couldn’t”.

And then, shock, when the manager comes in and realises after a couple of amazing shags how disturbed and unstable they truly are, they leave through the window during the night, with a big fat cheque as reward for their failure.

I think that metaphor ran away from me a bit there.
Using that analogy, Chelsea are the equivalent of turning a lesbian at the moment.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
At least he started with a third division side (old money) not expect to pick a plumb job immediately

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Man Utd players and fans won't know who McKenna is? Despite him spending 5 years there as a coach, the last 3 of which he was assistant manager?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here