Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kieran McKenna

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Poch has won exactly nothing in the Premiership.
His biggest claim to fame is getting to a European Final ( and losing )
It's a No from me if it ever did happen.
If he could go in to the toxic environment which was Chelsea and come out of it with a fairly successful season, just think what he might do in the right place with a supportive owner and CEO at a well run club!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Sure some of you will have already watched this but this video explaining his play style was compelling

Great video. Thanks for posting.

Under DeZerbiball, our players ALWAYS ignored the option for a ‘direct attack’, instead they pass the ball backwards or lay the foundations for a ‘build up attack’. Great to see McKenna evolving this philosophy. But better to see the presenter describe how McKennaball is so incredibly tough to work out or stop.

I’m now 99% in for this chap.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Brighton are pushing to complete a deal to appoint Kieran McKenna as Roberto De Zerbi’s replacement, but they still face competition from Chelsea and Manchester United for the Ipswich manager.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Sure some of you will have already watched this but this video explaining his play style was compelling

Thanks for sharing. Looks similar to DeZerbiball but quicker, more direct (in a good way) and with plans B & C. Could be an exciting appointment if we go for him.

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Seems like lots of noise around him / us at the moment. Chelsea would be mad to sack Poch, and I don't think Utd would go for McKenna yet. Which probably means we haven't even considered him, and we'll hire someone none of us have ever heard of.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm a bit wary for two reasons:

1) It's incredibly annoying when someone higher up the food chain comes and cherry picks us. It'll be galling for Ipswich to lose the manager that got them back to back promotions.

2) I've not seen Ipswich play so know little about him other than his reputation. Nigel Adkins achieved the same feat as McKenna.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
...and they all did join them, so their "arrogance" was clearly justified.

It's just a fact, we're a much bigger club than Ipswich, just like Chelsea are a much bigger club than us.

The Albion are not a bigger club than Ipswich.

Ipswich have won the league, FA Cup and Uefa Cup.

They haven't won the Sussex Senior Cup though so maybe you're right.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The Albion are not a bigger club than Ipswich.

Ipswich have won the league, FA Cup and Uefa Cup.

They haven't won the Sussex Senior Cup though so maybe you're right.
doing something 40-60 years ago doesn’t make a club ‘big’ now

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I'm kinda hoping it's someone else just because Jacob Steinberg is pushing this so hard in the Guardian, and I don't like him (I find there's always a snide undertone to his articles about us, more so than from the Guardian's resident Palace fan Ed Aarons).

Now I've watched that Four Four Two video, I'd like to revise this opinion. McKenna in!

In all seriousness though, the last few days have been a bit of a rollercoaster and I'm still really sad that RDZ has gone. It'd take a real "wow!" appointment to pull me out of my funk and McKenna isn't that imo.

BUT: I couldn't help but see how well our squad would fit that system described in the Four Four Two vid. And let's be honest, we kinda have to trust that Bloom knows what he's doing. So if it is McKenna, I'll be cautiously optimistic.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
The only point that matters is they are factually below us in the food chain. Doesn’t mean he will come here but Ipswich winning a European trophy when dinosaurs roamed the earth wont be the reason he stays or goes

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The timings will be crucial here won't they?

At present there is no Man U vacancy and there is no Chelsea vacancy. Utd still have a fixture, but Chelsea don't and Poch is currently still there. It's possible Man U lose the cup final, ETH is sacked and then they approach McKenna. But I'm not sure the wheels move that fast inside the Old Trafford boardroom.

I don't see that Bloom will think it's McKenna or nothing. If he's hanging on for a better job, we'll start exploring other options

I've got to say, I do not see Man Utd or Chelsea making an appointment of someone who has never managed in a top division anywhere. I think McKenna will come to us sometime in the next week.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Agreed but weren’t Burnley looking good when they came up? The jump is MASSIVE
They did, but Burnley came into the Championship from the PL without huge wage liabilities holding them back, so we’re in a really good position to make the most of parachutes and bounce straight back up. I think it’s fair to say that the Ipswich achievement eclipses that.

Talking of MASSIVE, their manager has done really well in the short time he has been there!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The only point that matters is they are factually below us in the food chain. Doesn’t mean he will come here but Ipswich winning a European trophy when dinosaurs roamed the earth wont be the reason he stays or goes
Well quite.

And it's not even that we will offer more money (which we will).

It's that we offer mid table stability and a shot at Europe.

Ipswich can offer him, at best the type of spirited but doomed survival attempt exemplified by Luton and at worst the regular battering's dished out to Sheffield Utd.

Let's see how his reputation is when they've shipped 100+ goals. Brighton for him is the smart move. Chelsea or Man Utd obviously aren't happening. But a couple of decent years with us and who knows

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here