[Albion] Kieran McKenna

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If this happens prepare yourself for another short term appointment if he is successful. If he walks away after two consecutive promotions he’ll walk away again if clubs like United or Chelsea want him in a year or so.
We’re going to need appoint mediocrity for that not to happen.

We’ve just had a manager walk away because of transfer policy, let alone MU or Chelsea coming knocking.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
That would be true of anyone, it would be virtually impossible to stop a manager from leaving to a bigger team if they are successful with us.

Our 'system' acknowledges that and tried to put us in the best place to deal with it.
Not strictly true, didn’t Potter turn down Spurs? My point is that KM is likely to jump ship at the first opportunity if he does come here. Do we really want to have managers here for just a year or two? It may be inevitable if we keep getting it right I accept

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes, yes but Ipswich are a much “bigger” club 🤣🤣🤣
I don't really see the point of these "bigger club" conversations. It's the sort of thing Portsmouth fans talk about to make themselves feel better while they spend a decade of successive seasons in leagues one and two.

The fact is, Ipswich have a more storied history in our lifetimes than we do, but that doesn't count for much and right now we're both provincial Premier League clubs in regularly full stadiums seating 30,000 ish, but we're the ones with the infrastructure, and the proven strength in depth to stay here for a while. Of course McKenna would consider a move here.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't really see the point of these "bigger club" conversations. It's the sort of thing Portsmouth fans talk about to make themselves feel better while they spend a decade of successive seasons in leagues one and two.

The fact is, Ipswich have a more storied history in our lifetimes than we do, but that doesn't count for much and right now we're both provincial Premier League clubs in regularly full stadiums seating 30,000 ish, but we're the ones with the infrastructure, and the proven strength in depth to stay here for a while. Of course McKenna would consider a move here.
Exactly.
Historically, far bigger than us, but right now they’re where we were when we went up. Inevitably, they’ll be favourites to go down with Leeds or Southampton

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Currently they’re not bigger than us. We’re an established PL team, they’re newbies and newbies typically get relegated - see Leeds, who are doing the bounce and maybe will do better this time. Sorry, but money counts more than ever these days. It’s not the 70s anymore. Ipswich will need to adapt fast and anyone half decent will be a target for 17 other teams more established than them and that’s just in this country!

I understand the point you’re making, but Leeds finished 9th - 3 points off European football in their first season back so maybe not the best example!

Speak for yourself! I’m 30 and they’ve currently spent more seasons in L1 than the Premier League in my life time!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Like who?

League One to Premier League​

Watford 1997-1999

Watford legend Graham Taylor returned to help them when they found themselves in League One, and he took them to the Second Division title.

This was followed with a play-off final win over Bolton to get them back into the top-flight.

Taylor is Watford's most successful manager
Manchester City 1998-2000

Before all the money, Manchester City endured some tough times and needed Joe Royle to lead them to promotion from League One.

Royle stayed on and sealed a place in the Premier League for City the following year.

Southampton 2010-2012

Nigel Adkins came in from Scunthorpe and secured second in League One in his first year to get the Saints into the Championship.

They then finished as runners-up to Reading the following year to return to the Premier League, although Adkins was soon replaced by Mauricio Pochettino once in the Premier League.

Norwich 2009-2011

Paul Lambert arrived at Carrow Road with Norwich in the third tier after a shambolic year in the Championship, but just nine months after his appointment, the Canaries were promoted.

The Scotsman followed this up with another promotion to get Norwich back in the Premier League.

Ipswich 2022-2024

Kieran McKenna's arrival at Portman Road has been totally transformative as the Tractor Boys sealed promotion from League One.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Exactly.
Historically, far bigger than us, but right now they’re where we were when we went up. Inevitably, they’ll be favourites to go down with Leeds or Southampton
in fairness, they will be favourites to go down with Leeds, leicester, Forest, Southampton and Brentford.
But they will definitely be seen as the most likely to finish bottom of that group.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
The next manager markets are a mug's game.

No-one who is really in the know can place a bet without risking their career.
And there are is no data to support the odds.
It is based on nothing more than media-speculation and chancers.
Plus it's a small market. How many NSC posters would you need to place a collective bet on an outsider before their odds fell?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I'm surprised to see some talking about Poch being replaced at Chelsea 🤷🏼‍♂️. He's just got them firing well - I'm sure he'll stay there another season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports