Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kevin Pietersen

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Maybe, but the stats below don't exactly show a world beater that MUST be selected.

Have you only been selective in what you've read on this thread?

Most people haven't said he MUST be selected. The argument has been whether he should be AVAILABLE for selection.

Right now, this whole thing has meant his not available at all. Should Root get injured against NZ for example, has Strauss and the ECB basically cut their nose off to spite their face?

Personally I don't see KP getting in ahead of an in form Ballance, Bell or Root. I'm happy to see Lyth finally get his chance opening the batting. I think we need to stick with Moeen to see how he develops as a spin allrounder. However I don't see any point in ruling KP out of selection because of some spurious claims of trust, or because he's a bit of a nob.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The way I feel about Kevin Peterson not playing for England is similar to the way I feel about Leon Knight not playing for Brighton. Quite happy about both.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Most people haven't said he MUST be selected. The argument has been whether he should be AVAILABLE for selection.

Right now, this whole thing has meant his not available at all. Should Root get injured against NZ for example, has Strauss and the ECB basically cut their nose off to spite their face?

Personally I don't see KP getting in ahead of an in form Ballance, Bell or Root. I'm happy to see Lyth finally get his chance opening the batting. I think we need to stick with Moeen to see how he develops as a spin allrounder. However I don't see any point in ruling KP out of selection because of some spurious claims of trust, or because he's a bit of a nob.

Correct answer.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
You may as well say Jimmy and Broad are in form, Buttler is settling in well, it's pretty much 50 - 50!

The Jimmy who is England's record test wicket taker and was leading wicket taker in the series in the Windies, on flat pitches that were more for the spinners?

Broad is still a force with the ball, just totally lost his bottle with the bat.

Jordan is not taking wickets as the third seamer, which is a problem, but England have so messed Finn up that the third seamer is always an issue.

Butler yet to be convinced, but not sure Prior is ever going to be fit and not many other keepers pushing for selection.

Not really sure what your point is.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

Agree that the definitive statement should never have been made.

All the time he was not playing 4 day cricket, this was not a discussion.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
England's test record since the 5-0 drubbing is played 10, won 4, drawn 3 and lost 3, which is not disastrous.

True, but Sri Lanka at home, India at home and WIndies away are three series you would expect to win.

Warne was a knob when he played, as was Botham. KP is the same. All three had the ability to win test matches.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If you don't like an arrogant prick playing for England, that is a long list of England players you mustn't have taken to!

Sorry struggling to name others, had no problem with the likes of Boycott, Botham etc.... Can't think of others who could even fit the description, but then equally they probably haven't written a book naming and shaming or sent texts whilst still actively playing.......

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sorry struggling to name others, had no problem with the likes of Boycott, Botham etc.... Can't think of others who could even fit the description, but then equally they probably haven't written a book naming and shaming or sent texts whilst still actively playing.......

Not sure Boycott and Botham had texts! :lolol:

I can't think of a few, Dominic Cork in recent history for one.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Not sure Boycott and Botham had texts! :lolol:

I can't think of a few, Dominic Cork in recent history for one.

He was never publicly sacked though.

It was obvious in that era that Stewart did not like Tufnell, Cork and Caddick as they were not his sort of people.

The same can be said of Hussain he did not have Swann anywhere near his squads after that one tour to South Africa and had no time for Chris Adams.

However there was never the public fall out that Pietersen has achieved.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He was never publicly sacked though.

It was obvious in that era that Stewart did not like Tufnell, Cork and Caddick as they were not his sort of people.

The same can be said of Hussain he did not have Swann anywhere near his squads after that one tour to South Africa and had no time for Chris Adams.

However there was never the public fall out that Pietersen has achieved.

Well, you can say 'KP has achieved', or you can say 'KP and the ECB has achieved'.

I've probably posted the most on this thread, but I haven't for a second defended KP. For me, this isn't what its about - its the same old ECB interfering and managing the England side and nothing changes.

Australia had a huge problem with Watson, Clarke, and various other 'trust' issues, they got Lehman in and pretty much said deal with it, we won't interfere, you'll lead the selection committee but you'll have complete control. Job done.

Meanwhile England.....

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
It's simple really just get all parties to sit down have a chat and select KP. I can't think of one England player who has the potential to score 300 runs in a day.

So what he's written and book and put stuff on twitter, until the day comes when players are banned from using twitter or writing books they are always going to be controversial it makes more money.

Get your best players in the side and get over it. The ECB are making themselves look clueless and complete amatuers.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
It's simple really just get all parties to sit down have a chat and select KP. I can't think of one England player who has the potential to score 300 runs in a day.

So what he's written and book and put stuff on twitter, until the day comes when players are banned from using twitter or writing books they are always going to be controversial it makes more money.

Get your best players in the side and get over it. The ECB are making themselves look clueless and complete amatuers.

You should point out that the team he scored the 300+ runs are in the second division and have not won a game for two years,lets see how his form continues over the next month

albion1972

Banned
Dec 14, 2014
He would of been back in team if Cook had said he would quit if KP came back . If Cook is sacked or quits as Skipper then KP will be recalled.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
You should point out that the team he scored the 300+ runs are in the second division and have not won a game for two years,lets see how his form continues over the next month
Maybe I should also point out that the next highest score was 36 and that being Sangakara who is probably one of the best batsmen in the world. I can't think of one other English batsman who has the ability to score 300 in a day and to manage batting with the tail as KP did.

You can quote stats as much as you like but KP is one of the best English players on the circuit and deserves his place in the side on merit. Let's see the form of England's top six over the next month and then realise that we are missing KP.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Pieterson is a South African who should never have played for England because he should never have been able to qualify - like all the other South African born players who have somehow played for England (including Strauss and numerous others).

It is embarrassing that we have to bulk up the England team with people who are/were not born in England (like Jack Charlton's "if his granny once sniffed a pint of guinness in a pub somewhere near Bermondsey, then he's Irish and he's in" - because Eire were and are competely crap without the false Irish input.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here