Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Keith Emerson has passed away

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
He produced this fella with West Park School choir in Worthing in the 1980's. Catchy Christmas tune.

[yt]AtqK4CNwqzs[/yt]

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
"America is pregnant with promise and anticipation, but is murdered by the hand of the inevitable."

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

goldstone68

Aug 31, 2014
darkside
RIP,
My mate took me to see ELP at the Dome years ago, at the time I thought who the hell are they, (being a Motown fan), I sure knew about them when it was over.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yep, saw Procol Harum and Argent too. Mind you Hold Your Head Up is my worst ever earworm, stuff of my nightmares!

At the Dome? Ditto.

The first 4 LPs I bought were Trilogy, Electric Warrior, Aqualung and Imagine. Only one of these I no longer play . . . . (Imagine).

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
He went to work at Lloyds Registrars after West Tarring. Also the Quittetons were brothers, pretty sure The musical one wrote Maggie May for Rod Stewart and was in the local band Steamhammer. Keith Emerson RIP, another hero gone.
Confirm Roger Quittendon, (Maths teacher) was the brother of the musician who wrote Maggie May. Roger mentioned this at the time.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I found that article when I went on a search. It is the only place that mentions this. It also has a piccy of ELP that it dates as 'in 1960'. Typical sloppy journalism from the Fail. I read elsewhere he had a slice of colon removed a couple of years ago. It wouldn't surprise me to find that this (a relapse) was the force majeure :down:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
RIP Keith guess that now leaves Brian Yeo as maybe the last famous West Tarring old boy still with us.I shall keep any of my famous West Tarring activities and those of others to myself till a later date. West Tarring Academy for louts.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
At the Dome? Ditto.

The first 4 LPs I bought were Trilogy, Electric Warrior, Aqualung and Imagine. Only one of these I no longer play . . . . (Imagine).

Good choices. I don't have Electric Warrior, but I do the other three. Often mean to give a Trilogy a run out, but Tarkus was my first ELP, probably because I followed Island releases closely and liked the cover. I well remember the smell and quality finish of Aqualung, a bold and somewhat rebellious choice on my part, but I loved and still play Stand Up and Benefit more. Like you, Imagine doesnt get a look in.

Still following modern music and in quick succession seen Steve Earle, Mary Chapin Capenter, Zac Brown Band, Kate Rusby and Gretchen Peters. Just returned from C2C at the 02 and enjoyed Chris Stapleton, Kacey Musgraves and Eric Church. To my surprise, I may have enjoyed Musgraves the most.

Back in tne day, my close friends had similar tastes in music to me and older generations hadn't heard of acts like ELP and Tull. Now I'm an older generation, none of my contemporaries or anyone I know or work with has heard of any of the others I just listed. Their loss though:)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Good choices. I don't have Electric Warrior, but I do the other three. Often mean to give a Trilogy a run out, but Tarkus was my first ELP, probably because I followed Island releases closely and liked the cover. I well remember the smell and quality finish of Aqualung, a bold and somewhat rebellious choice on my part, but I loved and still play Stand Up and Benefit more. Like you, Imagine doesnt get a look in.

Still following modern music and in quick succession seen Steve Earle, Mary Chapin Capenter, Zac Brown Band, Kate Rusby and Gretchen Peters. Just returned from C2C at the 02 and enjoyed Chris Stapleton, Kacey Musgraves and Eric Church. To my surprise, I may have enjoyed Musgraves the most.

Back in tne day, my close friends had similar tastes in music to me and older generations hadn't heard of acts like ELP and Tull. Now I'm an older generation, none of my contemporaries or anyone I know or work with has heard of any of the others I just listed. Their loss though:)

Thanks for that. Yes, the smell and quality finish of Aqualung . . . . I remeber playing it in the 'best room' where the stereo was kept, in the dark, hoping the Olds wouldn't pop in and catch a whiff of the lyrics :lolol: I also love Standup and Benefit.

Glad that you still engage. Music beats footy for me, by and large (probably shouldn't have mentioned that on NSC :whistle: ). But that's a bit like saying eating beats drinking :lolol:

I don't know any of people you saw recently. I'll take a look online.

In the last 30 years I have met only one person, who shares enough of my taste and enthususiasm that means we can rummage each others massive iTunes and CD and vinyl stash, nodding in appreciation, from (and I will keep this in best Prog order, as it is a Keith Emerson thread) Vandergraaf Generator, through Ozric Tentacles, to Porcupine Tree. And that, thankfully, is Mrs Tackle :lolol: She does draw the line at Velvet Acid Christ and Hocico, though. Fancy that. But that's another story.

All the best, HWT.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
RIP Keith guess that now leaves Brian Yeo as maybe the last famous West Tarring old boy still with us.I shall keep any of my famous West Tarring activities and those of others to myself till a later date. West Tarring Academy for louts.

Please tell Cliff old boy, think between us we have some great stories of that fine establishment. Like when putting my hand in my parka pocket, whilst holding a lit fag as a teacher was behind me in driveway and the fag end must have fallen off into the lining of my coat, thus started a fire 10 minutes later in Assembly. The excuse 'spontaneous combustion' was not believed by Mr Matthews. RIP Keith

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
A regular in the 80's at The Six Bells Chiddingly, lived in Lewis Carrolls old house twixt Chiddingly and Horam, not a stones throw from the late Bob Hoskins place.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
A regular in the 80's at The Six Bells Chiddingly, lived in Lewis Carrolls old house twixt Chiddingly and Horam, not a stones throw from the late Bob Hoskins place.
Stone hill used to be owned by J M Barrie, although he didn't stay there much. Not aware of any Lewis Carroll connection. Julian Fellowes did used to live just down the road though; until recently he was President of the Chiddingly Arts Festival.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Stone hill used to be owned by J M Barrie, although he didn't stay there much. Not aware of any Lewis Carroll connection. Julian Fellowes did used to live just down the road though; until recently he was President of the Chiddingly Arts Festival.

I stand to be erected :facepalm: That is of course who I meant, clearly got my Peter Pans and Alice's mixed up!
When you see how lovely the house is it makes Keith's demise even sadder, that he once had the joy of living in such a splendid home but recently got so depressed as to take his own life. :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here