Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Keir Starmer

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Nobody is saying Covid can't be spread in restaurants and pubs but it's no more of a risk than any other business that allows people in.

Currently the Hair and Beauty industry can open fully - despite there being constant and prolonged close contact. Gyms are open despite them being indoors and many having very poor ventilation and with users throwing sweat around and heavy breathing - a big risk of spreading Covid. Non-essential shops are open despite the very poor social distancing within them. And then of course there is the ridiculous non-SD'ed queues of people going to crap shops like Primark for their £2.50 lycra leggings - still allowed to be open.

Yet restaurants and pubs - most of whom have very good processes in place for indoor dining - are restricted. The waiting / serving staff don't get nearly as close to you as say a hairdresser and they are semi-close to you for a much shorter period of time. Yet the government will imply, without evidence, that the hospitality industry is the biggest spreader of Covid. Strangely the last spike came after schools and Unis went back.

The government have said they are making decisions on facts and data ( not on guesswork common sense ) and yet they can't provide the data that hospitality proses the highest risk.

Eat Out to Help Out rise in numbers Full Fact

https://fullfact.org/news/did-eat-out-help-out-cause-covid-spread/

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
This is an interesting article (and the author's response in the comments secton are also enlightening) regarding the right to refuse admission to licensed premises.

https://licensinglaws.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/the-21st-century-right-of-refusal/

Legally, the licensee (or his delegated staff) can refuse admission to anybody and is not required to provide any explanation or reason.

Starmer was told to leave and by refusing to do so committed a criminal offence

Do we know if the Starmer entourage had permission to enter The Public house by the co-owner who has a different opinion to his partner? Perhaps it only needs an opposition to entry that counts. I cant see the co owners having a perfect working relationship from this point!:mad:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I did, and indeed do, have high hopes for Starmer, both as an effective opposition leader and a credible challenger to Johnson/whoever the Tories put up at the next election. And, I do absolutely agree that the period we've been through is not the time to be assessing his performance.

However, you can't blithely dismiss a Bath publican as some sort of crackpot when Owen bloody Jones has said the very same thing in The Guardian.

I fully respect the publican, simply because of the huge financial strain he's been under in the past 13 months.

I believe him to be genune, he would've also told Boris to get out.

I've listened to his interviews this morning and I disagree with him about the pandemic and lockdowns. On C5's Jeremy Vine he was ultra confident that the pandemic has not led to death numbers greater than the norm. Also that over 81 year olds were going to die anyway.

Views almost certainly skewed by financial pressures.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Love the that they use the word FACT in their title and then write this :

"The study itself refers to the 8-17% figure as a “back of the envelope calculation”, suggesting it is a rough estimate."

The organisation is called Full Fact and they publish the facts as known. They are simply quoting the research paper and warning that the headlines surrounding the paper are a bit misleading.

Not sure what the problem is.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Two people with differing views in same business circumstances hardly surprising..not everyone reacts the same .that’s life isn’t it ..I was already aware of this clip ..shrug
As I said in that post I don’t agree with all the guy said but I can understand his frustration ...these little tours politicians make are all for the cameras ..this one because a bit more interesting

I found it interesting that he didn't say my opinion, but the opinion of the pub.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm sure supermarkets staying open had much more effect. By experience not many adhered to the one way rules and plenty went without masks just to prove they could

People have to buy food every week for home. Did you think people should starve?

I didn't go as I am vulnerable, but my other half did, he always wore his mask, and some supermarkets were restricting the numbers inside at any one time, with security guards.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Starmer is in a no win situation here. He's getting attacked by people who think lockdown was too harsh, people who think lockdown wasn't harsh enough and the more rabid element of Labour who think anything less than accusing Boris Johnson of mass murder makes you a Red Tory.

Boris at least has the benefit of not getting torn apart by his own supporters.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Boris at least has the benefit of not getting torn apart by his own supporters.

The right-wing of the Tory party have been after him pretty much throughout, whilst the Mail, the Telegraph and the Spectator have hardly been kind to him.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Not trying to discuss this in huge detail because I don't really care what that publican has got to say to be honest. I was simply pointing out that the opinon piece you quoted was more balanced in it's criticism that it first appeared.

And I don't see Owen Jones as one of Labour's own poster boys, but again I can't be arsed with discussing that because I don't vote for them.

Quite right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here