Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Keeping the rivalry alive

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Ive been watching East Grinstead for about 4 years now, there are about 4 of us who starting going when Premier games are moved around to suit TV.
Being an old duffer I quite like watching football at 3.00 on a Saturday afternoon or Tuesday night at 07.30.

But last season and this we have been going home and away, like we used to in the olden days, you know fancy a game get in the car POTG and watch football, if your lucky with a pint of beer and a burger. A burger that comes in a napkin for £1.50 not in a box for a fiver.

Cheers for the reply. Sounds like a good day out.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you care about the Albion ever finishing above Palace then you have to be up for this match. There are 6 points to be had, and this season if we can do the double over them chances are we'll finish above them.

If you don't care about us finishing above them then, yes, the rivalry for you is dead or - at the very least - moribund.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Its starting to TBH, it didnt at first, but now I do actully get pretty excited when they score.

Its not Palace that lets it down ( for me ) its the whole of Pro football, teams with life long fans like us being thrown out of the league for owing less money than premier footballers earn in a week makes me sick to the stomach.
Footballers wages are ridiculous, COVID could have been used as a mechanism to rebalance the whole wages/cost to spectator/grass roots equation but it’s just been seen as a means to make the rich richer.

We’ll all come to our senses eventually.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I don’t mind Palace as many know. Got a few really good mates out of the palace posters on NSC too. Mates for life. They’re a really well ran family club with superb ethics and a history of doing the right thing. Sure, I hope we win, but if we lose that’s life.

D

Deleted member 2719

This Sunday is a big day in the Mouldy household, but today is a bigger one, our 20th anniversary!:rave::rave::whisky::whisky:

We have 3 big matches on Sunday, the sons, the daughters and then palarse.

It really could be an extreme high or low! Meh just isn't me.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My head says beating Palace is the important one but in terms of real, gut dislike for another side I feel more worked up about beating Leeds.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Lots of friends and acquaintances are Palace and on the whole they're a sound bunch.
Doesn't stop me hating Palace with a passion and wishing nothing but pain and misery on the club.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think the rivalry, overall, has diminished as we're not exactly neighbours anyway . . . . some of those from the 70's/80's are now older and in many cases have drifted from football and the more exuberant scale of things with age, there must be a generation who only know because they were told . . . . we didn't play them in the 90's, well, once maybe, 1991?. It has refuelled a bit in recent years, but football is so sterile now.

having said all that, they stole 4 points of us last season, we need to do them hard. We do at least have a few local players in March and Dunk who can instill a bit of fight into the occaision.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Lots of friends and acquaintances are Palace and on the whole they're a sound bunch.
Doesn't stop me hating Palace with a passion and wishing nothing but pain and misery on the club.

Back in the late 80s most of my work was in Palace territory

And with Palace fans,good lads in the main and loved their football

Would talk about dodgy trips up north and past albion-palace games

But the best bit about it was they felt the same dislike for Brighton as we did palace
It wasn't a one-way street

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
To get the full experience, I need a ticket plus photo id to enter my living room so that I can watch the TV. All the comfy chairs will be removed and replaced by plastic seats with no leg room. The area by the fridge was been reduced in size so that with three people in that area it becomes full. After the game I will need to stand around for close to half an hour and then will be marched to my local railway station despite not wanting to go there.

Should be fun.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
To get the full experience, I need a ticket plus photo id to enter my living room so that I can watch the TV. All the comfy chairs will be removed and replaced by plastic seats with no leg room. The area by the fridge was been reduced in size so that with three people in that area it becomes full. After the game I will need to stand around for close to half an hour and then will be marched to my local railway station despite not wanting to go there.

Should be fun.

and you can't have a piss . . . unless its on a police horse.:lolol:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I think the rivalry, overall, has diminished .

I feel completely differently - I think it's intensified over the past few years - certainly the last couple of years away games have had a great buzz about them - take AKs winner for example - it's a long time since I've been in an away end with that type of celebrations.

Until recently we were in different divisions (bar the odd year) - now we're on a level playing field. Added to that more and more from folks from Corydon are escaping SE London (we need to build a wall) so there's more of them knocking around Sussex.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
So this weekend sees us take on Palace again but without the one vital ingredient the Fans , of this perceived fake Derby by most outside of the two clubs .

As much as I try I can't actually get very excited or even nervous about it , the thought of winning of course will make me happy ,but if we were to lose I'm probably looking at a Meh , at worst .

That can't be right , how are you feeling , if anything at all so close to matchday .
I'm feeling like that for all the games at the moment to be honest,just not the same without fans.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I really want us to win, particularly as they have had a good start points wise. It’s probably worth mentioning the last time we finished above them in the league they still managed to have the last laugh. They are still the one team I want to beat and finish above, and preferably send them down in the process.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I work with a Palace fan and was quite surprised that he can read and write, and talks sense.So i really can't be arsed anymore. He is a decent lad to be fair.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I feel completely differently - I think it's intensified over the past few years - certainly the last couple of years away games have had a great buzz about them - take AKs winner for example - it's a long time since I've been in an away end with that type of celebrations.

Until recently we were in different divisions (bar the odd year) - now we're on a level playing field. Added to that more and more from folks from Corydon are escaping SE London (we need to build a wall) so there's more of them knocking around Sussex.

Which is kind of what I said, re the last few years . . . . it was dead in all but name circa 1997.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
What is this shit?
https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/2020/se...t-mr-cenz---who-designed-selhurst-park-mural/

They don’t put the opposition’s badge the right way up on their programmes either? They deserve a massive beating.
7069CEED-0DC0-4F3E-BF32-8553F120DAA5.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here