Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Keeping RDZ at Brighton for as long as possible

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
I trust in how TB is building us up and should the unthinkable happen and RDZ goes, I wholeheartedly believe whoever comes in next will soon help us move on from RDZ when we're eight points clear at the top.
Perhaps it'll be like what happened when Potter left. RDZ goes and everyone is devastated, thinking how will we ever replace him, and the replacement comes and is even better!

veuve

Jun 27, 2015
All depends on where we are at the end of the season if we have Europe then the club will have to have a stronger squad.Rdz will have his targets but does that match blooms and the clubs DNA ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
All depends on where we are at the end of the season if we have Europe then the club will have to have a stronger squad.Rdz will have his targets but does that match blooms and the clubs DNA ?
Seemingly happy for his recruitment guy to leave after 2 months or so so he seems comfortable with how we work.

veuve

Jun 27, 2015
Seemingly happy for his recruitment guy to leave after 2 months or so so he seems comfortable with how we work.
I believe he has his own target players that will not match the clubs DNA, will be an interesting summer.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I believe he has his own target players that will not match the clubs DNA, will be an interesting summer.
Based on what though? His recruitment guy left with RDZ blessing. There’s a piece in the Athletic where RDZ said he’s never seen a recruitment process like it, where players are recommended with stats and figures as to why they are suitable - when his past experience was a scout report and a video clip he watched himself.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Based on what though? His recruitment guy left with RDZ blessing. There’s a piece in the Athletic where RDZ said he’s never seen a recruitment process like it, where players are recommended with stats and figures as to why they are suitable - when his past experience was a scout report and a video clip he watched himself.
It really does put into context just how shonky most club's recruitment processes are. Considering he has managed at properly good level before.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I do see a little hot-headedness in him though, almost Poyet-esque, albeit less gobby, and wonder how he'll take the news that we won't be signing a £??M striker in the summer and that Caicedo's replacement is likely Gilmour. Unless we show a forward progression in the squad I have doubts he'll commit to staying around for too long. He strikes as the kind of guy that will take us as far as he feels he can before seeking a new challenge.

:albion2:
Isn't that pretty match what we'd ideally ask from any manager?

Last edited:

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
Isn't that pretty match what we'd ideaally ask from any manager?
Yes, but as we know from recent experience, not every manager does that.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think the OP has assumed a lot of motivation and outlook from De Zerbi. We really don't know how he feels or what he thinks about anything. Of course we all hope the OP is right and he stays for a long time but only time is really going to tell.

As is mentioned, the summer is huge for us and Bloom and Barber's skills are going to be tested from to the max. Can we keep most of the side together? Can we keep the players and manager happy? And most importantly can we do all this without compromising the model and philosophy that has got us this far?

Lastly can we as fans cope with a backwards step if all of the above cannot
be done.

These are exciting times but with the success we have enjoyed, things get much much harder.

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
I think we’ll get one more season unless he manages to get us into CL dreamland which is going to be ridiculously hard next year.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think the OP has assumed a lot of motivation and outlook from De Zerbi. We really don't know how he feels or what he thinks about anything. Of course we all hope the OP is right and he stays for a long time but only time is really going to tell.

As is mentioned, the summer is huge for us and Bloom and Barber's skills are going to be tested from to the max. Can we keep most of the side together? Can we keep the players and manager happy? And most importantly can we do all this without compromising the model and philosophy that has got us this far?

Lastly can we as fans cope with a backwards step if all of the above cannot
be done.

These are exciting times but with the success we have enjoyed, things get much much harder.
Very much this.

When Potter was being linked with Chelsea there were a lot of people on here scoffing at the suggestion he would be interested. We were his project, it was unfinished, he was onto a good thing at the Albion and Chelsea was a basketcase club he'd have no interest in.

I was convinced that if he had an offer from Chelsea, he'd be off like a rat up a drainpipe, and so it came to pass.

I think that when it comes to pretty much everyone employed by a football club, where that club isn't "their club man-and-boy", then the offer from a bigger club will nearly always lead to a departure. They are career people, doing a job and don't have the emotional attachment to clubs in the way fans do. So, when a better job at a better company that pays more money comes along, they will take it. Most of the time, anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if De Zerbi leaves this summer, but that needs a sufficiently attractive offer to come along, and there's no way of knowing if one will just yet.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Very much this.

When Potter was being linked with Chelsea there were a lot of people on here scoffing at the suggestion he would be interested. We were his project, it was unfinished, he was onto a good thing here and Chelsea were a basketcase club he'd have no interest in.

I was convinced that if he had an offer from Chelsea, he'd be off like a rat up a drainpipe, and so it came to pass.

I think that when it comes to pretty much everyone employed by a football club, where that club isn't "their club" man-and-boy, then the offer from a bigger club will nearly always to a departure. They are career people, doing a job and don't have the emotional attachment to clubs in the way fans do. So, when a better job at a better company that pays more money comes along, they will take it. Most of the time, anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if De Zerbi leaves this summer, but that needs a sufficiently attractive offer to come along, and there's no way of knowing if one will just yet.
Exactly,

I will add that the mentality of managers has to be that they can be the one that can sort out the basket case clubs. This is why Spurs and Chelsea will get managers in the summer. The nature of mangers has to say, I am the one that can sort that shit out. Also in terms of reputation they don't lose that much by failing s many people will blame the club (to counter my point here Potter's reign did manage to reduce his stock but only because he did such a bad job there).

I'll be disappointed if he goes this summer partly because I think it will do his career the world of good to get more experience in the Premier League at a well run club before venturing out to the shark tank.

This summer is going to be very exciting and who knows where we are going next. As the great Ronan Keating didn't sing football is a rollercoaster and you've just got to ride it. :lol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Exactly,

I will add that the mentality of managers has to be that they can be the one that can sort out the basket case clubs. This is why Spurs and Chelsea will get managers in the summer. The nature of mangers has to say, I am the one that can sort that shit out. Also in terms of reputation they don't lose that much by failing s many people will blame the club (to counter my point here Potter's reign did manage to reduce his stock but only because he did such a bad job there).

I'll be disappointed if he goes this summer partly because I think it will do his career the world of good to get more experience in the Premier League at a well run club before venturing out to the shark tank.

This summer is going to be very exciting and who knows where we are going next. As the great Ronan Keating didn't sing football is a rollercoaster and you've just got to ride it. :lol:
Exactly 2.

Football managers are generally ambitious people who are highly confident in their own ability and will back themselves to make a positive impact. They're also as aware as anyone of the fickle nature of the business they are in, and good opportunities may not come along again in a hurry.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015

Perhaps I'm assuming less than you think. Of course I cannot read RDZ's mind, but my views are based on the way he has carried himself in the past and on comments he has made in interviews. The way he refused to leave the Ukraine until all his players and their families had been safely evacuated says something about the character of the man. Unemployed at the time, he was approached by Bologna as they prepared to sack Sinisa Mihajlovic. He refused on a point of principle, saying he would not be comfortable replacing Mihajlovic, who is fighting leukaemia.
“I’d like to, but I can’t do it after Sinisa. Money can’t buy everything,” De Zerbi allegedly told Bologna directors who had contacted him before putting Thiago Motta under contract.

So we see he has principles and is motivated by things other than money.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Perhaps I'm assuming less than you think. Of course I cannot read RDZ's mind, but my views are based on the way he has carried himself in the past and on comments he has made in interviews. The way he refused to leave the Ukraine until all his players and their families had been safely evacuated says something about the character of the man. Unemployed at the time, he was approached by Bologna as they prepared to sack Sinisa Mihajlovic. He refused on a point of principle, saying he would not be comfortable replacing Mihajlovic, who is fighting leukaemia. So we see he has principles and is motivated than things other than money.
I think what you mention here shows that De Zerbi is an honourable man and is motivated by doing the right thing. However I don't think that backs up this notion:

I don't think De Zerbi is primarily motivated by personal ambition the way others seem to be in terms of money/salary. Other managers are all about what's in it for them, as we learned back in September. (Don't get me wrong, I get that it's fair enough to want to further one's career, but really?) De Zerbi seems different: he wants to build a great team.

The last sentence here may be correct but there is nothing to suggest that building this great team needs to be done at Brighton. If this is his motivation then surely he would consider the best place to build said great team is at a club whose model is not based on buying young players and then selling them. Surely this is better achieved at a club that buys those experienced and more finished players from us.

I am not sure what evidence you have seen to suggest this is the case?
And I think he will appreciate the challenge of turning Brighton into a Champions League level team rather than just joining an established big team that has already done it all.

Obviously, I really hope you are right and perhaps you have seen some things that I have missed but my guess is that De Zerbi sees Brighton as a club to cut his Premier League teeth on before moving onto the holy grail of building that great team or earning shit loads of cash and setting his family up for life (or whatever motivates him).

My hope is that he realizes that he can improve his skills and understanding with us for a few years before he makes his move. I also hope that he realises that a fair chunk of his success with us is based on what the club has done and continues to do. Other clubs are not run as well as ours and despite the money they can throw at stuff we are set up for a manager to succeed. Potter jumped ship too early in my opinion and he is now back down the ladder a few rungs.

The difference between De Zerbi and Brian Clough is that Clough was a Manager and had more control over more parts of the club (as was the way back then). De Zerbi is more a head coach and has to work within the confines of a club structure. This is a godsend at a club like Brighton but a curse at Spurs or Chelsea.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Does RDZ have any doubters? I doubt it.

So let me get this correct, you doubt that RDZ has any doubters. I must say I doubt that is true. There must be at least one RDZ doubter among the Albion fans on this message board.

Does anyone doubt that there is at least one RDZ doubter on this message board? I do doubt that anyone will speak up to say that they doubt that there is truly at least one RDZ doubter on this message board.

Got it?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Perhaps it'll be like what happened when Potter left. RDZ goes and everyone is devastated, thinking how will we ever replace him, and the replacement comes and is even better!
Doubtful

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Would he go if Spurs or Chelsea came in for him in the summer and offered Tony £20 million compo?
Chelsea wouldn’t risk another Albion manager and Spurs would never pay the compo think we are good there.
I do think we forget managers aren’t fans it’s a job at the end of the day and if they excel a better opportunity will be offered eventually.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
He’s mentioned many times that football is his, his obsession. He has his preferred style and accepts he needs the right players and environment to execute it

I think he stays for a full season next year. Man City post Pep gives him the players and style, which I think would interest him.

As an aside not much is known about his family, he’s mentioned he has a couple of young kids before. I assume they are still in Italy with his wife? I don’t know how much bearing his family being away from him impacts him in the long term? A year in the Ukraine and a couple in England might be the limit?

Let’s enjoy him whilst he is here, the club will have learned a lot from him (take the positives) and will move forward when the time comes, no?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here