Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Keep the faith

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Aside from those who went there, I really struggle to fathom why people are so surprised or disappointed. It's a numbers game: we need a minimum of 3 points to make Europe as Villa and Spurs could both plausibly lose on Saturday. We have a far better chance of beating Saints on Sunday with a full strength team than if we played a full strength team last night. It's as simple as that for me.
Draws would do.👍🏼

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
RDZ's hands have been majorly tied with the injuries and fixture pile up, I find it incredible that some on here are picking faults with his team selections etc - we pretty much have no other options if we want to try and keep our best players relatively fresh.

We are prioritising Sunday's game based on last night's team selection which is the correct thing to do. It would be a huge bonus if Villa and Spurs fail to win on Saturday, I can't see this hapenning mind, but the priority games are Saints and Villa - I think RDZ will rotate the squad against Man City as well.
For next season worth noting West Ham have had to play 2 more game than us over a similar time period of the last month. They’ve played 9 matches since 20 April, we’ve played 7.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Perplexed that this thread even exists.

Was expecting nothing from Newcastle. Hoped we might nick a point and we nearly did.

Where’s the fire?
I think it's a combination of the manner of the defeat (not too many players covered themselves in glory), the expectation from a brilliant performance away at Arsenal and the scoreline.

Even if it stayed 2-1 – but the obvious in the second half was maintained up until the end of the game – there would be FAR less bedwetting and toys thrown out of prams going on. As it was, the boys got done over by two breakaway goals to give a more flattering outcome than the game possibly deserved. Take nothing away from Newcastle, but our knackered squad were architects of their own downfall.

I'm always 'one game at a time', so no dramas here.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think it's a combination of the manner of the defeat (not too many players covered themselves in glory), the expectation from a brilliant performance away at Arsenal and the scoreline.

Even if it stayed 2-1 – but the obvious in the second half was maintained up until the end of the game – there would be FAR less bedwetting and toys thrown out of prams going on. As it was, the boys got done over by two breakaway goals to give a more flattering outcome than the game possibly deserved. Take nothing away from Newcastle, but our knackered squad were architects of their own downfall.

I'm always 'one game at a time', so no dramas here.
I know, but the third goal went in on 89minutes when we were pushing for an equaliser. After that, the 4th was down to the heads going down a bit.

In reality, I'm just viewing it as a defeat, not a 4-1 defeat.

Don't get me wrong. On the balance of play I think Newcastle deserved to win. They totally controlled the play in the first 30 minutes and were quicker to the ball and more aggressive, but in the second half it was 50/50. They created chances to win it before their third, but at anytime we could have nicked a point.

Like you, I'm one game at a time. All you know with RDZ is that you'll never see a 0-0.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I know, but the third goal went in on 89minutes when we were pushing for an equaliser. After that, the 4th was down to the heads going down a bit.

In reality, I'm just viewing it as a defeat, not a 4-1 defeat.

Don't get me wrong. On the balance of play I think Newcastle deserved to win. They totally controlled the play in the first 30 minutes and were quicker to the ball and more aggressive, but in the second half it was 50/50. They created chances to win it before their third, but at anytime we could have nicked a point.

Like you, I'm one game at a time. All you know with RDZ is that you'll never see a 0-0.
Apart from the semi-final at Wembley :wink:

battistadonati

May 18, 2023
I don't understand why Brighton fans would be unhappy...
The team is high in the table, excellent, as far as I'm concerned, went through a tough period at the end of the season. The next two matches should be indicative of what the team is capable of against the leader and the outsider!

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I believe the marathon Cup semifinal took something out of us mentally and physically, then a bruising schedule of games and a lot of injuries..... it all adds up.
This Europe thing is becoming a burden , if we don’t do it, it will seem like failure to some.
We have enjoyed a fantastic season, if we go to Europe it is icing on the cake but if we don’t, it doesn’t matter.
We need to Keep calm and carry on .

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
After the Villa game we'll have played 8 games in 24 days? That's a ridiculous fixture list by anyone's standards and games like Arsenal, Newcastle, Man City are free hits in those circumstances. You win some like last Sunday, you lose some like last night. I'm not overly bothered, though Smug Eddie turning us over annoyed me briefly.

Let's face it, when Potter danced merrily towards the bright lights of London Town, who'd have thought we'd be in with a shout for Europe at the end of the season. The youngsters are coming in and doing us proud, they just have to dust themselves off and beat Southampton and let's face it, if we don't beat them, we don't deserve Europe anyway.

Still enjoying the best season we've ever had.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Definitely need to get the Amex rocking on Sunday. The team look a bit knackered and they need us to lift them for the final push.

What ever happens between now and the end of the season, these players and De-Zerbi have given me the best season of watching the Albion ever. Some of the fottball has been jaw dropping at times.

Love this team. Up the Albion

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I don't understand why Brighton fans would be unhappy...
The team is high in the table, excellent, as far as I'm concerned, went through a tough period at the end of the season. The next two matches should be indicative of what the team is capable of against the leader and the outsider!
Because there is a fear that we may crash out of the top 7 which would be an absolute travesty.

Personal view is if we don't finish in top 7 then we still have had a brilliant season watching probably the best player to play for Brighton, Caicedo, playing in the best team , which is playing the best football a Brighton team has played. Enjoy while we can.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Because there is a fear that we may crash out of the top 7 which would be an absolute travesty.

Personal view is if we don't finish in top 7 then we still have had a brilliant season watching probably the best player to play for Brighton, Caicedo, playing in the best team , which is playing the best football a Brighton team has played. Enjoy while we can.
Well said. Some of the bed wetters on the match thread need to look in the mirror & see a moron.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Not bed wetting but I am indeed struggling to keep faith.

I didn't hold out much hope of getting anything from yesterdays match. However, the lack of energy in the team was a real concern as is the depth in squad. The performance rather than the result is causing the tension. Newcastle were good and we were bad.

With only 48 hours until our next game im not exactly brimming with confidence that a win is a foregone conclusion!

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Not bed wetting but I am indeed struggling to keep faith.

I didn't hold out much hope of getting anything from yesterdays match. However, the lack of energy in the team was a real concern as is the depth in squad. The performance rather than the result is causing the tension. Newcastle were good and we were bad.

With only 48 hours until our next game im not exactly brimming with confidence that a win is a foregone conclusion!
Oh I don’t think our results are EVER a foregone conclusion!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
If we'd drawn at both Arsenal and Newcastle we'd be thinking that was a great return - but we've actually gone one (point) better. Plus, we managed to rest a few players last night. Given the squad depth and injuries, the Newcastle match was one where we simply needed to avoid further injuries, or a freak sending off.

We've just had three massive games which used a huge amount of physical and emotional energy (Man Utd cup SF, Man Utd at home, Arsenal away)....no surprise that the games that immediately followed (Forest, Everton, Newcastle) were sub-par.

Now the squad can re-group, focus on Sunday, and "go again"!

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
We've just had three massive games which used a huge amount of physical and emotional energy (Man Utd cup SF, Man Utd at home, Arsenal away)....no surprise that the games that immediately followed (Forest, Everton, Newcastle) were sub-par.

Now the squad can re-group, focus on Sunday, and "go again"!
Our recent form has been WLWL... so surely the next match will be a win?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here