Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kaz banned from Nando's

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's just a fast food joint but with higher prices. I really wouldn't bother.

Exactly.

Imagine KFC

Imagine slightly nicer decor

Imagine your bill is double or triple what it would be at KFC.

There you go. Don't need to go now.

Well, after a quick skiff of the Nando's menu, unlike KFC, not EVERYTHING on the menu is deep fried. And there is certainly more variety.

Would I take the family out to sit down in a KFC for a meal ? Umm...no. Nando's is at least an actual restaurant you can sit down in. And it doesn't look bad to me.

4 drumsticks starter £5.75
Butterfly chicken (2 breasts) £7.65
Grilled chicken burger £5.95

Hardly outrageous, and I'm sure its better than that sopping grease-laden muck they serve up in KFC.

I'm going to TRY it. So NERRR.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
But why not go somewhere decent if you're going to spend that much on fast food?

We only went because Mrs CoolJ's workmates were going on about how great it was. It turned out to be KFC/Burger King quality for three times the price (the staff were nice though).

The only reason I can think of for it's popularity is that loads of people who usually only eat out at fast food chains can feel a bit posh because someone actually brings the food to their table (after they've queued up to order it) and they can pretend they're in a proper restaurant by drinking overpriced wine?

I'm no snob and have nothing against fast food (as long as you don't live off it or give it to your kids too often) but Nando's success baffles me. We eat out a lot and it's one of the few places I've been that I'd never go to again. Not because it's totally shit, it's just pointless.

Only been once, as first time I aborted at the entrance in the Chichester one as some girl was projectile vomiting on the way out, so thought better of it. Then tried again with my son at the Marina, its just chicken with sauce and a mark up price and you have to get your own drinks, or was I imagining that ?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
We went last week. £10 each for chicken, chips and mushy peas. All very tasty and really not at all like KFC.

Plus my nearly-2-year old was given a full crayon set and scribbling page to chuck over the place. And they gave us an extra portion of chips FOC because we asked.

I RATE IT. There I said it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Good god! I thought Mrs P and I were the only people in the world who were Nando's virgins

Me too.

Seems fashionable to give the place a big slagging doesn't it. Its just chicken. Whats not to like ?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I banned myself from Nando's after going once.

This .... I couldn't believe it, in my opinion sub standard chain food and you wait on yourself, whilst staff look at you as if you're lucky to be allowed in the place. The only thing they didn't ask me to do was wash up because they were too busy charging me way over what it was worth .... style over substance, brand driven muck.

Sorry to sit on the fence with this.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I've still never been. Must give it a whirl some time.

Mrs W has gone for lunch there today for the first time as a school holiday treat to her daughter. I'll quote her two comments exactly ( well without the kisses ) to assist your decision making :

"Proper scumbags here"

"Staff have a personality bypass too"

Good Luck !!!! Never been myself and after those comments doubt I ever will.

EDIT - and now the cost has come through - shared starter, two mains, a fanta and a glass of wine for just over £30 - seems overpriced to me !

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was looking at the menu for ages and just couldn't work out what was wrong with it.

Then it finally struck me, when I realised:-

'all this written yet there's nothing on it'.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well, after a quick skiff of the Nando's menu, unlike KFC, not EVERYTHING on the menu is deep fried. And there is certainly more variety.

Would I take the family out to sit down in a KFC for a meal ? Umm...no. Nando's is at least an actual restaurant you can sit down in. And it doesn't look bad to me.

4 drumsticks starter £5.75
Butterfly chicken (2 breasts) £7.65
Grilled chicken burger £5.95

Hardly outrageous, and I'm sure its better than that sopping grease-laden muck they serve up in KFC.

I'm going to TRY it. So NERRR.

....and then stand up again to place your order.........etc. Kind of half fast food joint half restaurant. Food is OK, healthier option then KFC generally - suppose it's like comparing GBK with Burger King

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Mrs W has gone for lunch there today for the first time as a school holiday treat to her daughter. I'll quote her two comments exactly ( well without the kisses ) to assist your decision making :

"Proper scumbags here"

"Staff have a personality bypass too"

Good Luck !!!! Never been myself and after those comments doubt I ever will.

EDIT - and now the cost has come through - shared starter, two mains, a fanta and a glass of wine for just over £30 - seems overpriced to me !

More cost for chain fast food than a traditional family run Italian restaurant .... and that's my problem with it

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
....and then stand up again to place your order.........etc. Kind of half fast food joint half restaurant. Food is OK, healthier option then KFC generally - suppose it's like comparing GBK with Burger King

Hmm. Not sure about this ordering at the counter lark, I wasn't aware of that. Although I suppose that's generally what you do at most pubs when ordering grub. Saves tipping I guess.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
More cost for chain fast food than a traditional family run Italian restaurant .... and that's my problem with it
This was my original point and exactly what I thought (and said to the Mrs) on leaving Nando's. "We could have had a proper meal for that."

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Good god! I thought Mrs P and I were the only people in the world who were Nando's virgins
It does feel like that sometimes but fear not, Lady GFH, Jr GFH and I are all virgins as well.

Regarding Nandos.

Obviously.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Is Nando's really "fast food" though ? The definition of fast food for me is when you stand at a counter,stare up at a menu, stroke your chins, make your order, and some acne-ridden virgin takes your cash, grabs your pre-heated scoff that's been sat on a hot shelf behind them for an hour, throws it in a paper bag and off you go. Kind of like the kiosks at the Amex (but without the "fast" bit, obviously, after you've run the eternal gauntlet of trying to convey in plain english, without too many syllables, exactly what it is you want, and waited for them to call a supervisor over when they bollocks up the till again).

Am I naïve in assuming that once you've ordered at Nando's, you kind of wait at your table a bit while its cooked to order before they serve it to you ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hmm. Not sure about this ordering at the counter lark, I wasn't aware of that. Although I suppose that's generally what you do at most pubs when ordering grub. Saves tipping I guess.

Yup, Just feel like a sap/sheep willingly joining a single long finicky queue to pay handsomely for your basic chicken meal and your tiny wee bottle of beer, and then you have to then go and find your own cutlery and your own big bottles of sauce. Feels a bit akin to joining the passport scanner queue at Gatwick which is twice as long and twice as slow as as it should be. On the whole, both of the above are best avoided IMHO.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yup, Just feel like a sap/sheep willingly joining a single long finicky queue to pay handsomely for your basic chicken meal and your tiny wee bottle of beer, and then you have to then go and find your own cutlery and your own big bottles of sauce. Feels a bit akin to joining the passport scanner queue at Gatwick which is twice as long and twice as slow as as it should be. On the whole, both of the above are best avoided IMHO.

Nailed it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here