Kaz banned from Nando's

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Is Nando's really "fast food" though ? The definition of fast food for me is when you stand at a counter,stare up at a menu, stroke your chins, make your order, and some acne-ridden virgin takes your cash, grabs your pre-heated scoff that's been sat on a hot shelf behind them for an hour, throws it in a paper bag and off you go. Kind of like the kiosks at the Amex (but without the "fast" bit, obviously, after you've run the eternal gauntlet of trying to convey in plain english, without too many syllables, exactly what it is you want, and waited for them to call a supervisor over when they bollocks up the till again).

Am I naïve in assuming that once you've ordered at Nando's, you kind of wait at your table a bit while its cooked to order before they serve it to you ?

In a way yes, but I guess I'm of a generation that you either go out for a meal, and relaxing, chatting and great service are as important as the meal itself. If I wanted to sit down, stand up, order, go poor my drink, fetch my cutlery etc I may as well have stayed at home.

Even the Golden Arches chaps do table service now if the newspapers are to be believed!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
In a way yes, but I guess I'm of a generation that you either go out for a meal, and relaxing, chatting and great service are as important as the meal itself. If I wanted to sit down, stand up, order, go poor my drink, fetch my cutlery etc I may as well have stayed at home.

Even the Golden Arches chaps do table service now if the newspapers are to be believed!

Plus the tables at Nando's are invariably more closely packed together than they ever are at the Golden Arches. In fact Nando's actually only really works on any level if you sit at the table and don't think about what you're doing. :dunce:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
The only reason I can think of for it's popularity is that loads of people who usually only eat out at fast food chains can feel a bit posh because someone actually brings the food to their table (after they've queued up to order it) and they can pretend they're in a proper restaurant by drinking overpriced wine?

I'm no snob and have nothing against fast food (as long as you don't live off it or give it to your kids too often) but Nando's success baffles me. We eat out a lot and it's one of the few places I've been that I'd never go to again. Not because it's totally shit, it's just pointless.

1,000 outlets in 30 countries. Maybe, just maybe, huge amounts of people have a different opinion to you.

Go figure, Mr LlcoolJ (does anyone, I repeat anyone, listen to this music anymore :) ).

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Best chicken experience, buy a great chicken, buy a french stick and make some coleslaw, rip the bread, the chicken and dollop on the coleslaw, add black pepper, add handful of lambs leaf and pea shoots then eat, and keep eating until you pop .....

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
But why not go somewhere decent if you're going to spend that much on fast food?

We only went because Mrs CoolJ's workmates were going on about how great it was. It turned out to be KFC/Burger King quality for three times the price (the staff were nice though).

The only reason I can think of for it's popularity is that loads of people who usually only eat out at fast food chains can feel a bit posh because someone actually brings the food to their table (after they've queued up to order it) and they can pretend they're in a proper restaurant by drinking overpriced wine?

I'm no snob and have nothing against fast food (as long as you don't live off it or give it to your kids too often) but Nando's success baffles me. We eat out a lot and it's one of the few places I've been that I'd never go to again. Not because it's totally shit, it's just pointless.

Couldn't agree more. Food isn't good enough to be mid market and it's too expensive to be low market. I think they've done superbly.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
1,000 outlets in 30 countries. Maybe, just maybe, huge amounts of people have a different opinion to you.

Go figure, Mr LlcoolJ (does anyone, I repeat anyone, listen to this music anymore :) ).
Er, that's the point though isn't it.

I know loads of people go there. But just like loads of people watch X-Factor and loads of people like Michael McIntyre and loads of people support Manchester United and loads of people are voting for Donald Trump I don't understand WHY.

Maybe (just maybe*) something being popular doesn't make it good.

*that really is a horribly smug phrase by the way

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports