Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kayal is the key to this new run of form.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
He is a master passer, how many times did he set CMS through tonight? Great vision.

I think if those had gone through to baldock, we would have had a hatful. That is the sort of ball that baldock and his type of striker thrives on.

I am not really sure, apart from running his socks off and hassling defenders, what CMS actually provides. His finishing last night was really woeful for one who at one time was a deadly finisher.

I wonder how long houghton will give him before looking to offload with his contract being up at the end of the season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nah Beram delivered a couple of wonderful corners last nite. Against Brum they were JFC/Dean Cox esque but it will come. Is there nothing Beram cant do?
I guess if they could both do each others major attribute, neither would be playing division 2 football.

Alternatively it's nice to finally have both skills at the club, at the same time.
In years to come hopefully they'll be part of the same injury free(ish) player.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think if those had gone through to baldock, we would have had a hatful. That is the sort of ball that baldock and his type of striker thrives on.

I am not really sure, apart from running his socks off and hassling defenders, what CMS actually provides. His finishing last night was really woeful for one who at one time was a deadly finisher.

I wonder how long houghton will give him before looking to offload with his contract being up at the end of the season.

Hughton. Hughton Hughton HUGHTON :rolleyes:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Aside from doing all the things Danny Holla was supposed to do but doesn't, Kayal seems to have boundless energy for the period when he's on the field (I don't think he's 100% match fit yet, hence the recent substitutions). He's left to right, up and down, demanding the ball.

Yes, he's going to pick up ten bookings a season, and thus the occasional suspension, but on the evidence seen so far, he's that leader we've been missing so badly in the middle of the park. I also think he looks like a real team player: from the way I saw him encouraging all the kids so vocally in that U21s game he played in, to the observation of him going along the bench and shaking hands or high fiving every single man on there when he came off last night. Hopefully he's enjoying it, will get- and stay- fit, and see us safely up the table. Then who knows?

Also fascinating to see just how loved he seems to be by the Celtic support. Every tweet of his receives dozens of replies from MTL fans.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex

CMS really is an enigma isn't he? The great thing last night was his ability to run around a lot and pull defenders out of position. This created a lot of the space for Kayal and, especially, Tex. CMS was crucial to how we played. Having said that....

He has no ball control whatsoever and can't score goals. Had Baldock or COG had some of the chances CMS had, we'd have won 4 or 5 nil.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
CMS really is an enigma isn't he? The great thing last night was his ability to run around a lot and pull defenders out of position. This created a lot of the space for Kayal and, especially, Tex. CMS was crucial to how we played. Having said that....

He has no ball control whatsoever and can't score goals. Had Baldock or COG had some of the chances CMS had, we'd have won 4 or 5 nil.
But CoG wouldn't have created the space that produced the chances. :shrug:

That's why last night was the perfect substitution and also why it can go horribly wrong if the dynamic chances.
Last night was made for CMS.
Bolton away, may well be made for CoG.
Derby aren't going to play like Leeds so what then?

In Hewtown we trust.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

CMS drives me mad.

On the one hand he ran his socks off (as always), he was CONSTANTLY on the shoulder of the defender, bending his runs, finding little gaps and for the most part staying onside. He gave Kayal plenty of through-ball options, pulled their defence all over the place all night long and was a real thorn in their side.

On the other hand, the guy cannot trap a bag of cement. Time and again when it was played up to him the ball was just bouncing back off him, gifting possession back to them. And I lost count of the dangerous breaks on goal where we outnumbered them, but then fizzled out and came to nothing because of CMS choosing the wrong option, either shooting feebly or nousing up his cross.

But then he DID do brilliantly putting that one on a plate for Baldock for 1-0. And I think the whole team appreciate his workrate, and the fact that he never stops making himself available and looking for the ball. I suppose it could be summed up by the fact that his movement and workrate is fantastic, he creates options and space for others. The only downside is when he actually gets the ball - that usually means end of move.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Kayal had a great game and absolutely ran the middle of the park, would have been even better if he hadn't had to take one for the team and get booked.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
CMS drives me mad.

On the one hand he ran his socks off (as always), he was CONSTANTLY on the shoulder of the defender, bending his runs, finding little gaps and for the most part staying onside. He gave Kayal plenty of through-ball options, pulled their defence all over the place all night long and was a real thorn in their side.

On the other hand, the guy cannot trap a bag of cement. Time and again when it was played up to him the ball was just bouncing back off him, gifting possession back to them. And I lost count of the dangerous breaks on goal where we outnumbered them, but then fizzled out and came to nothing because of CMS choosing the wrong option, either shooting feebly or nousing up his cross.

But then he DID do brilliantly putting that one on a plate for Baldock for 1-0. And I think the whole team appreciate his workrate, and the fact that he never stops making himself available and looking for the ball. I suppose it could be summed up by the fact that his movement and workrate is fantastic, he creates options and space for others. The only downside is when he actually gets the ball - that usually means end of move.

Yep. It was clearly his best performance of the season. His runs were actually- in the main- constructive, and he was, along with Teixeira and Baldock, pulling their shoddy defenders all over the place. I can't remember the last time we picked a defence apart so easily. I freely admit he's driven me nuts for a long time now, and I still have very little hope that he'll ever truly come good for us. But I can't really fault his effort last night. It was more than just aimless running around in circles. Happy to concede he had a half decent game. If only he could develop a better first touch, and get a few jammy goals, he'd have an awful lot of goodwill coming his way.

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
Amazing what can happen when a midfielder gets the ball and passes forward to start attacks rather than 3 months ago when we had 3 midfielders passing sideways and allowing teams to settle back.

Attacking quickly like last night gave teixeira so much space to do his thing. Kayal is to good for this league if he stays fit, we've cracked it

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm not a big fan, but I think a lot of people are being rather unfair on CMS. He had a better games than most of the team last night. He made intelligent runs, put in some dangerous crosses (including a near carbon copy of the one he put in for Ulloa to score at Forest) as well as some less good ones. He showed he still has pace when needed, and can do a useful role. In the first half particularly, the whole team hassled the whole Leeds team into a lot of simple mistakes.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Amazing what can happen when a midfielder gets the ball and passes forward to start attacks rather than 3 months ago when we had 3 midfielders passing sideways and allowing teams to settle back.

Post of the day. I would go as far as to say years.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Yep. It was clearly his best performance of the season. His runs were actually- in the main- constructive, and he was, along with Teixeira and Baldock, pulling their shoddy defenders all over the place. I can't remember the last time we picked a defence apart so easily. I freely admit he's driven me nuts for a long time now, and I still have very little hope that he'll ever truly come good for us. But I can't really fault his effort last night. It was more than just aimless running around in circles. Happy to concede he had a half decent game. If only he could develop a better first touch, and get a few jammy goals, he'd have an awful lot of goodwill coming his way.

Are his shortcomings caused because he has not really played an awful lot over the last 2 seasons?

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I aggree he has been an outstanding performer in the last few matches, dominates and organises the midfield, strong in defence and attack. Very good bit of business.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here