Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Katie Hopkins in Lewes

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
So some of you don't think she indulges in hate speech:-

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/katie-hopkins-when-is-enough-enough-10186490.html

“Make no mistake, these migrants are like cockroaches. They might look a bit “Bob Geldof’s Ethiopia circa 1984”, but they are built to survive a nuclear bomb. They are survivors”

“What we need are gunships sending these boats back to their own country”"

“Some of our towns are festering sores, plagued by swarms of migrants and asylum seekers, shelling out benefits like Monopoly money”
She’s right.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Jan 30, 2008
Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but what do people think about Katie Hopkins being prevented from speaking in Lewes on Saturday evening?

I've only a vague notion of who she is, although the consensus seems to be that she's a vile right-wing bigot. But even in that case, isn't it better to let her reveal herself for what she is, much as Nick Griffin of the BNP did on Question Time a few years back? Or is her 'hate speech' so far out of court that a suitable response is to match her with equal hate, including intimidation of those who bought tickets to attend the event?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/protesters-gag-katie-hopkins-festival-11589779
typical SCUMMY HARD LEFT IN Lewes ENOUGH SAID ON THE MATTER
regard
DR

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Unless someone knocks her out. Then instead of ignoring her, we can laugh at her which seems much more enjoyable and less laborsome.

Someone like you tried bully tactics like that at the event and got a broken nose for his trouble.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Spot on. Banning people from speaking is completely counter-productive. The proof of that is the BNP who always managed to play the little victim against the big liberal establishment until Nick Griffin appeared on Question Time and showed himself and his party up for what it truly is/was. That performance destroyed his credibility.

Evelyn Beatrice Hall had it spot on "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it". This is one of the crucial tests of whether we do live in a free society.
i thought that was Voltaire ?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Despite what the "pc gone mad" muppets think, there is absolutely nothing in UK law that guarantees the right to speak ones mind on anything one likes.

For instance, I tend to think that spence is a bit of a **** but, look: I'm immediately censored.
And I’d bet my bottom dollar that you’d only do it via social media.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Ok fair enough if that is your mum's view, and I suspect that she would not be the only Tory supporter to subscribe to that view. However, what bashilsdir was getting at is that this whole stop hate campaign is orchestrated by left wing ideologues, determined to shout down and stop views contrary to those they hold. If Katie Hopkins is barred from speaking then who comes next. I have seen folk on here suggest that Farage is also guilty of hate, and so he should be banned, and then what next, as they become ever more emboldened whilst they look for the next victim.

It's less the views and more the style that I (and mum) object to. She's not seeking debate, she's provoking and rabble rousing. Farage less so but I'd say that poster of his probably falls into that category.

Also, as I responded to Not Andy Naylor, "hate speech" unchallenged emboldens hate speakers.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
"Hopkins is known for her controversial opinions and regularly attracts criticism for her views."

Find it astonishing people on here ( a tiny minority) are happy to silence someone because of opinions and views.
Where on earth is the current trend to attack free speech coming from?

Nobody wants to silence anyone for opinions or views. If someone said, for example, "We cannot afford to keep supporting immigration", "we must reduce the levels of immigration" etc etc, then I wholeheartedly disagree but they're expressing their viewpoint, no problem.

What Hopkins says is “Some of our towns are festering sores, plagued by swarms of migrants and asylum seekers, shelling out benefits like Monopoly money”. That's hate speak and that's why I am happy to see her silenced.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Nobody wants to silence anyone for opinions or views. If someone said, for example, "We cannot afford to keep supporting immigration", "we must reduce the levels of immigration" etc etc, then I wholeheartedly disagree but they're expressing their viewpoint, no problem.

What Hopkins says is “Some of our towns are festering sores, plagued by swarms of migrants and asylum seekers, shelling out benefits like Monopoly money”. That's hate speak and that's why I am happy to see her silenced.
Some of our towns are .

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Someone like you tried bully tactics like that at the event and got a broken nose for his trouble.

She is the bully. I stand up to cowardly pieces of vile sh*te like her because I can’t stand bullies. She really is the very definition of scum and quite frankly the world would be a much better place if she wasn’t alive.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
It's less the views and more the style that I (and mum) object to. She's not seeking debate, she's provoking and rabble rousing. Farage less so but I'd say that poster of his probably falls into that category.

Also, as I responded to Not Andy Naylor, "hate speech" unchallenged emboldens hate speakers.

Yes thanks for this. But as we both know, those against alleged hate decide what constitutes hate, as you have done, and therein lies the problem.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
She doesnt speak YOUR mind , hence the troll label.

She is a troll. If she expressed contrary views in a considered way it would be different. Many people with 'right wing' views I see as worthy of reasoned challenge. I accept their views and issue no judgement on their character. I just don't agree.

But she is an inarticulate sewer pump. She is not well known for reasoned right wing social and political discourse- she is well known for being a talentless trolling potty mouth. That is the difference.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
She is the bully. I stand up to cowardly pieces of vile sh*te like her because I can’t stand bullies. She really is the very definition of scum and quite frankly the world would be a much better place if she wasn’t alive.[/QUOTE]

One might conclude that you are the bully and a vile piece etc . . By all means object to someone' s style and views, which is your right, but when you post something like this, you put yourself on exactly the same pedestal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here