Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Katie Hopkins in Lewes

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Are you seriously trying to deny that she frequently makes fascistic statements, and compare her to Al Murray? Wow.

What is a fascist statement? Genuine question. I know she makes plenty of outrageous and offensive comments but I think it's a bit dangerous to start using the word 'fascist' as a simile. Orwell's essay on people using the word 'fascism' is just about the best thing ever written about it:

http://orwell.ru/library/articles/As_I_Please/english/efasc

tl;dr - the word is used so frequently and incorrectly that it's now meaningless.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
“Speaks her mind” “Freedom of speech” “better to debate with her” - all very noble. She is a professional troll. If she was interested in speaking her mind, freedom of speech or having an open debate on things she finds troublesome or problematic then she wouldn’t couch her points in such vile and provocative language.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Godwin's Law in thirteen posts. Impressive.

I think she's a hateful woman but she, as well as everyone else, should be afforded the opportunity to speak her mind.

I'm one of those liberal lefty snowflake types but it does irk me when people on this side of the fence think it's better to shut people up instead of engaging them in debate.

Her use of the term 'final solution' made that inevitable.
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ution-daily-mail-muslims-racism-a7756776.html

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
I welcome earnestly held, considered, alternative opinions. Katie Hopkins does not hold opinions earnestly and the only consideration applied is to how much attention she will get by spewing it into the world.

She, and to a lesser extent Piers Morgan, play us all for fools. You cannot debate with them, because their opinions are gossamer thin; the minute they're not useful they'll disintegrate. Of course if anyone does debate with Hopkins or Morgan, the demagogues treat it all as a game. Whenever I see Morgan/Hopkins on a tv show, they grin vacantly as others try to hold them to account for the awful things they've done or said, but nothing gets through. It's all a game. It's all attention.

The issue isn't denying them a platform, it's not offering them one in the first place. TV bookers and student debate societies know fine well they'll get a great deal of exposure by inviting them and that's their aim. Not to have a debate, not to further the national conversation, just to get attention.

As others have said, she's walking clickbait and were there as much money to be made spewing far left opinions, she'd sharp cross the aisles.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
“Speaks her mind” “Freedom of speech” “better to debate with her” - all very noble. She is a professional troll. If she was interested in speaking her mind, freedom of speech or having an open debate on things she finds troublesome or problematic then she wouldn’t couch her points in such vile and provocative language.

I agree that she's a professional troll, I can't stand the woman but I genuinely don't know where the line is drawn on banning her if she's not breaking the law.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I really don't know how she is so lauded. Except that only the gutter gives her a voice.

That said, she should not be prevented from speaking.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
What is a fascist statement? Genuine question. I know she makes plenty of outrageous and offensive comments but I think it's a bit dangerous to start using the word 'fascist' as a simile. Orwell's essay on people using the word 'fascism' is just about the best thing ever written about it:

http://orwell.ru/library/articles/As_I_Please/english/efasc

tl;dr - the word is used so frequently and incorrectly that it's now meaningless.

Any one of the below, posted earlier in this thread will do for me. That doesn't mean that a person that makes fascistic statements is a fascist but doing so with great regularity makes them so in my view. And Orwell is where you and I can agree on, yet again. But I would like to point out that he went and fought fascists, and got shot in the process.

So some of you don't think she indulges in hate speech:-

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...-10186490.html

“Make no mistake, these migrants are like cockroaches. They might look a bit “Bob Geldof’s Ethiopia circa 1984”, but they are built to survive a nuclear bomb. They are survivors”

“What we need are gunships sending these boats back to their own country”"

“Some of our towns are festering sores, plagued by swarms of migrants and asylum seekers, shelling out benefits like Monopoly money”

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/katie-hopkins-when-is-enough-enough-10186490.html

“Make no mistake, these migrants are like cockroaches. They might look a bit “Bob Geldof’s Ethiopia circa 1984”, but they are built to survive a nuclear bomb. They are survivors”

“Some of our towns are festering sores, plagued by swarms of migrants and asylum seekers, shelling out benefits like Monopoly money”

So you agree that she should be stopped from speaking but then publish one of the worst things she's said ? :facepalm:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Are you seriously trying to deny that she frequently makes fascistic statements, and compare her to Al Murray? Wow.

to be fair i only have a passing knowledge of her output as i ignore her. we have law on hate speech to determine if people are going too far, if she has then it should be refered to the police not a hate campaign to silence her.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Any one of the below, posted earlier in this thread will do for me. That doesn't mean that a person that makes fascistic statements is a fascist but doing so with great regularity makes them so in my view. And Orwell is where you and I can agree on, yet again. But I would like to point out that he went and fought fascists, and got shot in the process.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...-10186490.html

Yes, it's hate speech but I still don't know what makes it fascist. Marx and Engels used the same sort of language to describe the social underclass and why they need to be either re-educated or removed ('parasite class') and I've often heard people describe the Royal Family as leeches. John McDonnell has spoken of lynching Tories and wanting to assassinate Thatcher. Are these also fascist statements?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
The only person messed up is you. Sorry fella. You might call it hate others don't. Yes you are denying freedom of speech. .

Despite what the "pc gone mad" muppets think, there is absolutely nothing in UK law that guarantees the right to speak ones mind on anything one likes.

For instance, I tend to think that spence is a bit of a **** but, look: I'm immediately censored.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I am getting worried about our country , there is no longer free speech , you can’t say what you reall y think , you are told what to think , if you do a bunch of left wing protesters turn up , rather than break up the protest the police will cancel the event , as it is easier for them .
This country will soon be like an One party state ,
As for the police any smell of trouble , either the event is banned , or pubs shut , they are only interested in speeding fines

D

Deleted member 22389

I am getting worried about our country , there is no longer free speech , you can’t say what you reall y think , you are told what to think , if you do a bunch of left wing protesters turn up , rather than break up the protest the police will cancel the event , as it is easier for them .
This country will soon be like an One party state ,
As for the police any smell of trouble , either the event is banned , or pubs shut , they are only interested in speeding fines

We all have to agree on the same things now, because it's the politically correct thing to do, even if we don't like it. That's not healthy.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe let her speak, and then the following week have an extremist Islamic preacher calling for young Muslims to slaughter infidels. They have a right to air their views as well, no?

(FWIW I can see both sides. Certainly Hopkins is the only winner here as she's got loads of publicity and more ammunition)

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
A another leftwing shill starting a hit piece on someone right of centre smearing them as far right, that is really rare on here isn't it?

f2a.jpg

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Despite what the "pc gone mad" muppets think, there is absolutely nothing in UK law that guarantees the right to speak ones mind on anything one likes.

For instance, I tend to think that spence is a bit of a **** but, look: I'm immediately censored.

Not sure the Law of Google counts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Maybe let her speak, and then the following week have an extremist Islamic preacher calling for young Muslims to slaughter infidels. They have a right to air their views as well, no?

(FWIW I can see both sides. Certainly Hopkins is the only winner here as she's got loads of publicity and more ammunition)

Yeah , that's the same isn't it :facepalm:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here