Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Karl Robinson approached by Albion

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
One obvious difference is that we're, you know, an actual football club.

The one thing Dons fans have noted is that the worst vitriol they get is from smaller clubs - whereas they get more support with what they are trying to achieve from bigger clubs.

I don't think they should have been allowed to go straight to where they did without going through the leagues..but it's a bit late for all that now tbh..they're only going to get bigger as a club.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Just been reading the 'Concrete Jungle' forum. Consensus is, why would he risk coming here?

Admit Brighton have better set up, attendances etc. But both clubs potential is same, once they have achieved promotion. Would look better on his CV if he took MK up. New house, kids settled at school.

Noted Hyppia was a miserabilist, Robinson is of the same ilk.

Conclusion: They are not worried, because he won't accept the job.

His head and his heart would be unanimous on that one. The best we can expect is to get is a manager to come in just for the rest of the season, so it would be pointless for Robinson to do that.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Never really rated Davies.
Evans has a great eye for a player and wouldn't stand for c*nts like Kemy.
Check out his win % - about 44%, higher still if you discount his second spell at Boston.

I fully concur with your description of Kemy!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've spoken to a few Franchise fans and as much as a respect their want to support a local club they will never change my opinion that their place in the league was "stolen". Far from saving the real Dons, their "project" was simply a vulture as Wimbledon was far from the first club under their sights. You can't invent history and quite rightly they had to agree to give it back.

History has corrected itself with the rise of AFC but that anomaly in Milton Keynes still represent something that should never have happened. I have thawed slightly to their existence but only in they represent as a warning.

I'd welcome their manager.

Last edited:

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I'm another in the camp who think Robinson would have been a good choice at the start of a season, i.e. after Garcia left, but that we now need a firefighter. He may come good, and seems to be fulfilling his potential at MK Dons after several seasons of not getting there, but I think we might well have to take relegation and go for promotion back to the Championship if we appoint him. All this talk of not affecting the development of the club, especially the lower levels, is irrelevant to me if we are relegated, as the loss of several thousand season ticket holders would have a far greater impact. I currently cannot get down to midweek games because of work (I work in London till 6 pm, and the last train I can get from Victoria which will get me to the Amex on time is the 1817. Almost always at that time one cannot get into Oxford Circus Station, which is no problem normally, as I walk to Victoria, but hopeless for getting to matches). Being in the Championship means I am willing to stomach this. Paying £455 for 17 League One games would give me cause to rethink. I'm sure there must be a good number of others also in this position.

No, for me it needs to be one of the old guard: Pulis, McDermott or Hughton, though I would take Rosler after what he achieved at Wigan (though I don't think they were in anything like the position we are when they sacked Owen Coyle, and this season hadn't exactly gone well for them). Sadly, though, Tony Bloom just does not seem to like that sort of manager. Saying that, it could be that none of them would keep us up and that Robinson could bring in such enthusiasm among the players that they start winning again. Were that to happen I would naturally be delighted.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I'm another in the camp who think Robinson would have been a good choice at the start of a season, i.e. after Garcia left, but that we now need a firefighter. He may come good, and seems to be fulfilling his potential at MK Dons after several seasons of not getting there, but I think we might well have to take relegation and go for promotion back to the Championship if we appoint him. All this talk of not affecting the development of the club, especially the lower levels, is irrelevant to me if we are relegated, as the loss of several thousand season ticket holders would have a far greater impact. I currently cannot get down to midweek games because of work (I work in London till 6 pm, and the last train I can get from Victoria which will get me to the Amex on time is the 1817. Almost always at that time one cannot get into Oxford Circus Station, which is no problem normally, as I walk to Victoria, but hopeless for getting to matches). Being in the Championship means I am willing to stomach this. Paying £455 for 17 League One games would give me cause to rethink. I'm sure there must be a good number of others also in this position.

No, for me it needs to be one of the old guard: Pulis, McDermott or Hughton, though I would take Rosler after what he achieved at Wigan (though I don't think they were in anything like the position we are when they sacked Owen Coyle, and this season hadn't exactly gone well for them). Sadly, though, Tony Bloom just does not seem to like that sort of manager. Saying that, it could be that none of them would keep us up and that Robinson could bring in such enthusiasm among the players that they start winning again. Were that to happen I would naturally be delighted.

I can see the logic behind all of that. I for one hope we get Robinson I think he would have a positive impact were he to arrive.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Ultimately its the level of risk Bloom wants to take on, personally I feel like Robinson would put us at significant risk of relegation but if Bloom is willing to suck that up and look to the long term Robinson might be worth looking at as someone who could give Brighton a style and develop that, as he has shown in his loyalty to MK Dons. But then I'm not someone who believes the premier league is the be all and end all I just want to watch my team play good exciting football and win more games than they lose (whatever league they are in).

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ultimately its the level of risk Bloom wants to take on, personally I feel like Robinson would put us at significant risk of relegation but if Bloom is willing to suck that up and look to the long term Robinson might be worth looking at as someone who could give Brighton a style and develop that, as he has shown in his loyalty to MK Dons. But then I'm not someone who believes the premier league is the be all and end all I just want to watch my team play good exciting football and win more games than they lose (whatever league they are in).

I find myself wondering what Birmingham fans thought when, with the team flirting with the relegation zone under Lee Clark, they gave the job to a bloke who's done no more than OK at Burton Albion. Yet they're now one of the Championship's form teams under Gary Rowett.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
My real worry is we take a make weight on that doesn't get us anywhere. Either I want us to fully back a Pullis type and have a complete reconfiguration of how the club is run, or fully appreciate a coach figure backed by a robust recruitment strategy that the head coach is in line with. For me it's either or and at the moment we are getting the worst of both worlds in that our recruitment system is not efficient and we don't have someone telling them that their shit stinks.

This issue amounts to the main consternation between fans and my view is we need to go balls deep in either or, and if it is the latter we need to make sure we have the very best people working in the interests of our club (i.e. after a long vetting process we don't end up signing the likes of Kemy who seems more interested in fashion than he does football).

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Marvellous, a guy that has never played professional football and whose managerial "career" consists of 4 non-descript seasons with MK - f'ing - Dons.

Sounds perfect.

League One Ready.

There's a few thousand people here that haven't played professional football but claim to know more about football - i'd rather trust Robinson who is actually a manager than those.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I find myself wondering what Birmingham fans thought when, with the team flirting with the relegation zone under Lee Clark, they gave the job to a bloke who's done no more than OK at Burton Albion. Yet they're now one of the Championship's form teams under Gary Rowett.

I believe at that stage Blues fans had stopped caring. It's easy to forget they were playing Premier League football only three and a half years ago and the following season finished fourth in the Championship.

In my view they were the worst team in the Championship last year, a view shared by many other fans at other clubs. The financial dealings of the club were shambolic. Having endured such a miserable couple of seasons followed by some depressing displays this season under Clark, I guess Blues fans were desperate for change, so the appointment of Rowett was broadly seen as a gamble, but a welcome one too.

I'm not sure Albion fans will be so accommodating following three encouraging seasons. We like to view our club as a progressive force, while Birmingham are trying their best to halt a sustained period of decline.

Our expectations (rightly or wrongly) are no doubt more ambitious. And the appointment of the new boss will be expected to reflect this.

I was just trying to think who Robinson reminds me of, yep - it's a pound shop version of Lee Clark.

DonsFan

Dec 23, 2014
Dons fan in peace. I took interest to the Hyypia sacking initially due to me originally being from Finland but now it's even more interesting with Karl being inevitably linked with another job.
There's often misconceptions about our club regarding money and budget. However we actually don't have a massive spending budget compared to other clubs in League 1. Over 90% of our signings over last few years have been free transfers or loan players. Due to a business minded chairman he managed to pull off our stadium without spending much money. We're just fortunate enough to have one of the best youth systems in the FL and a fantastic scouting team to help make up our squad.

This is probably the first time I'm not worried at all about Karl leaving us. He has previously turned down jobs from Championship clubs who are placed higher than you when he's had even less money to spend along with a smaller, less talented squad. He is finally on the cusp of achieving what he's spent half a decade working towards. We're playing the football he wants with the squad he's finally managed to build. We're getting massive results and terrifying teams around us. He would not throw this away to be with another team and potentially back in League 1 next year having to rebuild everything, even with the temptation of more fans and more money. We're both promising clubs looking to move up in the ladder and it would look better for him if he did it with us.

If this job had come along in the summer I think he'd have been a lot more tempted and probably taken it if I'm being honest. However it's a case of right job, wrong time. My mate was Christmas shopping in the Centre:MK shopping centre yesterday and he saw Karl with his wife walking around casually so he doesn't seem like he's rushing down to Brighton to be interviewed. He's recently moved to a new house and his daughter is settled in a local school so there's several reasons why I really can't see this happening. I think ultimately Brighton are actually better off with someone who has more experience in the Championship or higher; I've noticed Sherwood and Rosler have been named as candidates.

Best of luck for the rest of the season and hopefully we'll meet you in the Championship next year.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Dons fan in peace. I took interest to the Hyypia sacking initially due to me originally being from Finland but now it's even more interesting with Karl being inevitably linked with another job.
There's often misconceptions about our club regarding money and budget. However we actually don't have a massive spending budget compared to other clubs in League 1. Over 90% of our signings over last few years have been free transfers or loan players. Due to a business minded chairman he managed to pull off our stadium without spending much money. We're just fortunate enough to have one of the best youth systems in the FL and a fantastic scouting team to help make up our squad.

This is probably the first time I'm not worried at all about Karl leaving us. He has previously turned down jobs from Championship clubs who are placed higher than you when he's had even less money to spend along with a smaller, less talented squad. He is finally on the cusp of achieving what he's spent half a decade working towards. We're playing the football he wants with the squad he's finally managed to build. We're getting massive results and terrifying teams around us. He would not throw this away to be with another team and potentially back in League 1 next year having to rebuild everything, even with the temptation of more fans and more money. We're both promising clubs looking to move up in the ladder and it would look better for him if he did it with us.

If this job had come along in the summer I think he'd have been a lot more tempted and probably taken it if I'm being honest. However it's a case of right job, wrong time. My mate was Christmas shopping in the Centre:MK shopping centre yesterday and he saw Karl with his wife walking around casually so he doesn't seem like he's rushing down to Brighton to be interviewed. He's recently moved to a new house and his daughter is settled in a local school so there's several reasons why I really can't see this happening. I think ultimately Brighton are actually better off with someone who has more experience in the Championship or higher; I've noticed Sherwood and Rosler have been named as candidates.

Best of luck for the rest of the season and hopefully we'll meet you in the Championship next year.

Your not the first MK fan who has said that, none of you seem the slightest concerned that he has been linked with our vacancy and your all supremely confident he will stay. Having said that I am meh about him.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The one thing Dons fans have noted is that the worst vitriol they get is from smaller clubs - whereas they get more support with what they are trying to achieve from bigger clubs.
Probably because the 'fans' of bigger clubs that they speak to don't don't go to games, don't see football the way we do, and so don't look down on a club with no soul.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Cannot get my head round why we would be interested in Robinson. Very obvious we need a wise old head with Championship experience. For me, Robinson has none of the attributes we should be looking for.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

I agree that he'd be unlikely to want to come here given what he's finally achieving at MK after so many attempts. I may well be totally wrong but I also feel that they guy's been hyped up without much justification and I really don't see him being the right man for us

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm fairly certain I read a lot of Bristol City fans stating that there was no way Sam Baldock would leave a team flying high at the top of League One for us, probably did some shopping in Cabot Circus while he was there too. His kids and wife were also settled as far as I know.

A small part of Robinson's brain must be fearing he'll screw it up again like he has done most seasons so far, no matter how well you're playing.

I don't think he'll come, for what it's worth, but not for the reasons you state, as football simply doesn't work like that. Players and managers operate in the here and now, not what might happen in six months time. MK might get promoted, or they might flop under pressure, like they normally do.

PS: why can't you just call yourselves Milton Keynes FC, or Milton Keynes City, or something like that? Why do you have to keep up with the Dons crap? People might actually respect you a fraction more if you just moved on and accepted what you are, which is a new club with no connection whatsoever to Wimbledon FC, and who achieved a place in the Football League via the back door? Has Winkelman ever actually entertained that notion?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here