Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kaoru Mitoma to a top 4 club - would it be a big move any more?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Surely now any approach must be met with a no deal at any price stance. By now we must have more money than it's possible to spend

It's not that I have no confidence in the replacement, Adingra will be terrific for us as well.

But let's try and get a key player tied down on a new deal
It’s not about refusing offers though is it? If player wants to go, they go, no matter what we try to do (providing meet valuation). Surely every supporter understands this now?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It’s not about refusing offers though is it? If player wants to go, they go, no matter what we try to do (providing meet valuation). Surely every supporter understands this now?
If this was true Caicedo would be playing against Palace tonight.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
From Football365’s Winners & Losers…
Kaoru Mitoma
Just a lovely footballer doing lovely things in a lovely team. His goal against Wolves is an absurdity. Unimprovably perfect wide-forward play, picking up the ball out on the touchline just inside the opposition half before beating an entire defence through an unstoppable mix of speed, strength and impeccable close control before tying a ribbon around it all with a composed finish once only the goalkeeper remained in his path. Whole thing took about seven glorious seconds.

Please, Brighton. Don’t sell this one. We know it’s what you do, and you do it so wonderfully well. But don’t sell this one. We don’t want to see him, the joy and life sucked from his soul, sitting morosely on the bench at Chelsea or Manchester United. We couldn’t bear it.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I understand the model. Though I would strongly guess that there is a limit to the number of first team sales we would be prepared to sanction in any one window.

If someone did make an offer for Mitoma this week I would hope and expect that we would refuse to consider it, in exactly the way we did for Arsenal's offer for Caicedo in January and that the players views on the matter wouldn't be that relevant. He's under contract, we've got 4 trophies to go for and a manager to try to hold on to.

Next window or two, let's see where we are

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Mimosa IS playing for a top 4 club
I'll drink to that.

Mimosa.jpg

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I understand the model. Though I would strongly guess that there is a limit to the number of first team sales we would be prepared to sanction in any one window.

If someone did make an offer for Mitoma this week I would hope and expect that we would refuse to consider it, in exactly the way we did for Arsenal's offer for Caicedo in January and that the players views on the matter wouldn't be that relevant. He's under contract, we've got 4 trophies to go for and a manager to try to hold on to.

Next window or two, let's see where we are
If Chelsea offer say £130m, and let’s face it, it will be Chelsea and though that’s a stupid amount it’s therefore quite realistic, then chances are a) our evaluation would be met (I’ve no idea what it is) b) the accompanying wages would likely be 5-10times what we pay c) therefore he’s quite likely to have his head turned. If all those things - without delay - were met then there’s bigger all we - or any club - can do if the player wants to go.

But yes, let’s hope not. The player and his agent always wins though. No club can stand in their way if they want to leave and are desperately wanted enough by a Rich 6.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If Chelsea offer say £130m, and let’s face it, it will be Chelsea and though that’s a stupid amount it’s therefore quite realistic, then chances are a) our evaluation would be met (I’ve no idea what it is) b) the accompanying wages would likely be 5-10times what we pay c) therefore he’s quite likely to have his head turned. If all those things - without delay - were met then there’s bigger all we - or any club - can do if the player wants to go.

But yes, let’s hope not. The player and his agent always wins though. No club can stand in their way if they want to leave and are desperately wanted enough by a Rich 6.
In the January window the club simply said - to Arsenal - Caicedo was not for sale - and this was after he'd publicly come out and said he wanted to leave. And he stayed.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
No he wouldn’t because he didn’t meet our evaluation as I stated.
I get the point you're making. And maybe there is a very far fetched scenario where it happens. But club aren't selling Mitoma this window. They don't need to, want to and nobody is coming in with a stupid money offer anyway.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I get the point you're making. And maybe there is a very far fetched scenario where it happens. But club aren't selling Mitoma this window. They don't need to, want to and nobody is coming in with a stupid money offer anyway.
Good.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
In the January window the club simply said - to Arsenal - Caicedo was not for sale - and this was after he'd publicly come out and said he wanted to leave. And he stayed.
But not at the price we evaluated him at. When Chelsea did, different story.

I though it was longer ago, but (I think) I was at that game.

..But he only seemed to have two players to beat. Extra points to him as it was against Palace :)

Is there footage of any similar (Albion)goals - they will have to be spectacular if they are to beat Mitoma's !

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I agree with this.

In my view our position is a bit more nuanced than "if they player wants to go, they can go if the players valuation is met". I think it's closer to, "if the player wants to go, they can go if the bid makes it right for the club to sell".

To determine whether it's right for the club, I think we'll look at more than just the sale price. I think we'll consider questions like "do we have a replacement already?" Can we get one if not?", "what's the wider financial situation of the club?" "Are we strengthening a rival" "will the player have a detrimental impact on the squad of he stays"

With Euro football to come through the Autumn I can't imagine what level of bid would be right for the club to sell another key player. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a cheeky late bid, but i'd be staggered if we accepted

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
I though it was longer ago, but (I think) I was at that game.

..But he only seemed to have two players to beat. Extra points to him as it was against Palace :)

Is there footage of any similar (Albion)goals - they will have to be spectacular if they are to beat Mitoma's !
I seem to remember Peter Ward scoring one or two after dribbling his way through an entire defence . Not sure if there's any film of them though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here