Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kaoru Mitoma to a top 4 club - would it be a big move any more?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think people under-estimate the pressure involved in playing for these clubs away from the football pitch. It's not just about playing in a bigger stadium in front of more people. You'd get recognised in the street (and probably abused) far more, and you have a global fanbase of millions of people suddenly analysing your every move, rather than 30,000 people in a small city in the South East. It's a different world altogether.
Yes, but don't you think Mitoma already gets recognised?

Aug 1, 2006
Sorry my opener wasn't sufficiently clear. Probably I am just sensitive but the subtext here is still that Brighton is a big step up in football caompared to the top clubs, as opposed to environment at the top clubs. Now maybe I am taking it the wrong way and people are talking about the footballing environment and expectation being such a big step up. I'm not so sure though and to me these articles, and there are a great many at the moment, have the narrative of players for little Brighton would still have to step up their actual football to play at one of the propper clubs. This no longer rings true for me although I accept that is a personal opinion.

The comparison with Leicester is of course well made though.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yes, but don't you think Mitoma already gets recognised?
Nothing like as much as he would if he played for Man Utd. I bet he could go out for dinner with his mates in a restaurant in London and only have one or two people come up to him. That would not be the case if he played for Utd.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nothing like as much as he would if he played for Man Utd. I bet he could go out for dinner with his mates in a restaurant in London and only have one or two people come up to him. That would not be the case if he played for Utd.
He should probably reject them then.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Louis Saha says
"He’s shown a lot of consistency for Brighton this season and I’m very impressed with him. There’s a difference between playing for Brighton than there is playing for Manchester United, Liverpool or Arsenal, so it would be a big step for Kaoru.”

Is this guys a 'prYck living in the past who has failed to catch up with Brighton's brilliant and challenging new play style' or is he correct that moving to Manchester United would be a BIG step?

I can see both sides. But my vote is prYck.
I think it is a massive jump in expectation. Ironically though I think that's something Brighton can / should use to their advantage. Stay here and learn your trade. Not only that but as can be seen, you can do that whilst still being in and around the trophies and Europe.

Whenever I hear him talk I'm always impressed with how level headed he is and he always talks about how much he loves it here.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Sorry my opener wasn't sufficiently clear. Probably I am just sensitive but the subtext here is still that Brighton is a big step up in football caompared to the top clubs, as opposed to environment at the top clubs. Now maybe I am taking it the wrong way and people are talking about the footballing environment and expectation being such a big step up. I'm not so sure though and to me these articles, and there are a great many at the moment, have the narrative of players for little Brighton would still have to step up their actual football to play at one of the propper clubs. This no longer rings true for me although I accept that is a personal opinion.

I get what you’re saying, technically I believe most of our players like Caicedo, Mac Allister, Mitoma etc could comfortably play for pretty much any club in the world, however, as others have said, it’s the pressure and environment that seems to really separate players, look at how crap Cucurella and Biss look at their new toxic environments, whereas Trossard and White are flying at top of the league Arsenal. No doubt if Biss or Cucu were at Arsenal they’d be performing too.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
1B in debt I’m confused to how Manure can keep spending and avoiding FFP.
Because it’s debt accrued over a very long time which keeps mounting, year to year they stay within FFP due to their high income from merchandising, sponsorships etc.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I hear what you're saying. Although it's hard to quantify, a move from Brighton to a Big Six club would undoubtedly be a 'step up', but whether these days it qualifies as a 'big' step is a matter for debate.

As a slight OT aside, when we signed Jimmy Case I remember arguing with a Liverpool-support mate saying that for Case the move to Brighton was actually a 'step up'. Yes my tongue was in my cheek a bit, but my point was that he'd be playing at the same standard and against the same teams, but he'd be a much more important player for us than he was for Liverpool. We'd be expecting a lot of him, we'd expect him to be a leader and be a star because of his pedigree, ergo career-wise it was a 'step up'.

Aug 1, 2006
I get what you’re saying, technically I believe most of our players like Caicedo, Mac Allister, Mitoma etc could comfortably play for pretty much any club in the world, however, as others have said, it’s the pressure and environment that seems to really separate players, look at how crap Cucurella and Biss look at their new toxic environments, whereas Trossard and White are flying at top of the league Arsenal. No doubt if Biss or Cucu were at Arsenal they’d be performing too.
But do you think to some degree that football is more advanced here than at some 'top' clubs, and that footballing wise only it is actually a step 'down'. I could make a case for that although I would say we are nowhere near the finished article. It is all speculation I know but so is the speculation from commentators that it is a step up when they are not being specific. I guess I would like people to acknowledge in these articles that in footballing terms at least we are equal (Citeh and currently Arsenal notwithstanding). For the average reader they just see brighton is not that great, of course players would want to play really good football at xxxxx as well as want the money. It is kind of insulting.

Aug 1, 2006
I hear what you're saying. Although it's hard to quantify, a move from Brighton to a Big Six club would undoubtedly be a 'step up', but whether these days it qualifies as a 'big' step is a matter for debate.

As a slight OT aside, when we signed Jimmy Case I remember arguing with a Liverpool-support mate saying that for Case the move to Brighton was actually a 'step up'. Yes my tongue was in my cheek a bit, but my point was that he'd be playing at the same standard and against the same teams, but he'd be a much more important player for us than he was for Liverpool. We'd be expecting a lot of him, we'd expect him to be a leader and be a star because of his pedigree, ergo career-wise it was a 'step up'.
agreed

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Who thought Trossard had the mentality and ability to be playing as well as he is at Arse?
The test isn't how you can handle the pressure when you are top of the league and the fans sing your name and fawn over your social media posts. It's when you are struggling to reach the top four and losing to your peers - that's when the death threats and insane, constant pressure starts. That's when you find out if you can handle the mental load.

He hasn't remotely been tested yet

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Because it’s debt accrued over a very long time which keeps mounting, year to year they stay within FFP due to their high income from merchandising, sponsorships etc.
They are reportedly losing £2m a week their CEO says they overspent in the summer and won’t be this summer unless they shift quite a few on.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
They are reportedly losing £2m a week their CEO says they overspent in the summer and won’t be this summer unless they shift quite a few on.
Very interesting. Need some DULLARD to explain it to me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here