Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Just why would he?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Spurs have approached De Zerbi apparently………

Mmmmmmm, best run club in the country against a basket case club run by an egomaniac with toxic fans, would take me all of 30 seconds to turn them down.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
He might if he wants more money, but Spurs is the graveyard where good coaches reputations go to die.

It’s so clear that the issue at Spurs is at boardroom level. I like to think RDZ is too smart to fall into that trap. Even GP dodged the Spurs bullet, though he ended up going to the one club that was even more poorly run.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why would he:-

Bigger club.
More money.
Better contractual terms.
More internal influence.
Bigger global presence.
Top flight consistency.
Greater history.
Have his pick of Italian clubs to move onto.

There are probably a fair few more reasons why someone who isn't an Albion fan would want to manage a club considerably bigger than the Albion, but it's early and I've not had my Weetabix.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Bigger club.
More money.
More internal influence.
Bigger global presence.
Top flight consistency.
Greater history.

There are probably a fair few more reasons why someone who isn't an Albion fan would want to manage a club considerably bigger than the Albion, but it's early and I've not had my Weetabix.
Do a Potter?

chickens

Oct 12, 2022

Bigger club.
More money.
More internal influence.
Bigger global presence.
Top flight consistency.
Greater history.

Mostly right, and enjoy your Weetabix, but I disagree strongly with “more internal influence” - one of the issues that every other coach has had at Spurs is that they’ve felt largely ignored/unsupported by the hierarchy above them.

Brighton does pretty well at trying to get all parts of the club moving in the same direction and working with each other.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do a Potter?
Or do a Sir Alex Ferguson - it's hard to say what with them being completely different people at completely different clubs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mostly right, and enjoy your Weetabix, but I disagree strongly with “more internal influence” - one of the issues that every other coach has had at Spurs is that they’ve felt largely ignored/unsupported by the hierarchy above them.

Brighton does pretty well at trying to get all parts of the club moving in the same direction and working with each other.
And look where it's got them?

Maybe they want to change that and as such will show that in the contract.

chickens

Oct 12, 2022

They might pay lip service to a change of approach, but if they were capable of it, it would already have happened. Neither Mourinho or Conte are shy retiring types.

I absolutely agree with you on your main points, but if RDZ thinks he’s going to be anything more than a voice on the outside when it comes to club decision-making at Spurs, he’s wrong. The Levy won’t break.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Bigger club.
More money.
More internal influence.
Bigger global presence.
Top flight consistency.
Greater history.

All very plausible if it wasn’t Spurs. Internal influence does not come with the WHL job, top flight consistency does nothing for the future, nor does history make the wages worth more.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They might pay lip service to a change of approach, but if they were capable of it, it would already have happened. Neither Mourinho or Conte are shy retiring types.

I absolutely agree with you on your main points, but if RDZ thinks he’s going to be anything more than a voice on the outside when it comes to club decision-making at Spurs, he’s wrong. The Levy won’t break.
Quite probably.

Then again why would he have too, RDZ is currently managing a team with no right back, while Spurs dropped £40m on one, 5 months ago.

But but but why would RDZ leave??

chickens

Oct 12, 2022
Quite probably.

Then again why would he have too, RDZ is currently managing a team with no right back, while Spurs dropped £40m on one, 5 months ago.

But but but why would RDZ leave??

It’s a plausible option for him. My hope is that he’s eyeing his next move to be in Italy or Spain, and that he’ll give us at least one full season after this one. However, no loyalty in management on either side. If RDZ hadn’t worked out, Tony and Paul would have pulled the trigger for sure. We await developments.

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
I’d be surprised. But was adamant that Potter wouldn’t go to Chelsea when he did so clearly I know nothing.
But there does seem to be some movement on new signings and I presume there may be a little more “security” than with Potter as Bloom most likely won’t want to go through that again.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Well shirley the best way to 'get all parts of the club moving in the same direction and working with each other' would be to get a genius multi millionaire businessman who is Spurs born and bred from a family with generations of spurs supporters, to buy them :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It’s a plausible option for him. My hope is that he’s eyeing his next move to be in Italy or Spain, and that he’ll give us at least one full season after this one. However, no loyalty in management on either side. If RDZ hadn’t worked out, Tony and Paul would have pulled the trigger for sure. We await developments.
Definitely, RDZ's stock was at its highest last Thursday night.

There wasn't a single club in world football that wouldn't have asked to interview him Friday morning.

What a difference a day makes!

I too hope he goes elsewhere, but he is leaving and it will be sooner than we want, because we are just a poor provisional club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here