Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Just when I think I've shared the road with the worst car ever...

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
... an ever worserist one comes in the other direction.

Yesterday I had the misfortune to follow one of these at the start of my commute home from work.

images (1).jpeg

A Bentley Bentayga.

At first it didn't really register with me as it's drivers ability clearly didn't match the size and width of the car - I'd imagine it already needs new brakes.

Anyhoo 10 minutes after I said my goodbyes to that, coming in the other direction was this monstrosity:-

rolls-royce-cullinan-estate-d4b60dda68fb.jpg

A Rolls Royce Cullinan.

Devastatingly wrong on every level.

2 cars I had previously no idea of their existence (probably as Top Gear hasn't been good for x years), 2 cars I really wish didn't exist, with my only hope they are the 2 cars that bring an end to this craze for every car to be an SUV.

The Google leads me to believe I could buy both for roughly £500,000

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You might not like them, but plenty of people do – and they have pretty much kept the two companies going. Bentayga accounted for 42% of Bentley's sales last year – when it sold more than 15,000 vehicles for the first time. Cullinan is the same – accounts for about half of all RR's sales (which admittedly are only around 6k).

bhachris

Nov 20, 2011
... an ever worserist one comes in the other direction.

Yesterday I had the misfortune to follow one of these at the start of my commute home from work.

View attachment 158718
A Bentley Bentayga.

At first it didn't really register with me as it's drivers ability clearly didn't match the size and width of the car - I'd imagine it already needs new brakes.

Anyhoo 10 minutes after I said my goodbyes to that, coming in the other direction was this monstrosity:-

View attachment 158720
A Rolls Royce Cullinan.

Devastatingly wrong on every level.

2 cars I had previously no idea of their existence (probably as Top Gear hasn't been good for x years), 2 cars I really wish didn't exist, with my only hope they are the 2 cars that bring an end to this craze for every car to be an SUV.

The Google leads me to believe I could buy both for roughly £500,000
The owners of these cars probably don't like the car you drive either but don't see the need to go on a forum to state it...... I quite like them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You might not like them, but plenty of people do – and they have pretty much kept the two companies going. Bentayga accounted for 42% of Bentley's sales last year – when it sold more than 15,000 vehicles for the first time. Cullinan is the same – accounts for about half of all RR's sales (which admittedly are only around 6k).
Oh my, I'm amazed.
The Bentley did just look like a bigger big BMW.

But the Rolls made my eyes bleed.
Fortunately I was driving so was able to cleanse them by quickly checking Myspace.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Oh my, I'm amazed.
The Bentley did just look like a bigger big BMW.

But the Rolls made my eyes bleed.
Fortunately I was driving so was able to cleanse them by quickly checking Myspace.
Many people have likened the Cullinan to the new London cabs :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Many people have likened the Cullinan to the new London cabs :lolol:
Just twice the size.

I'm sure The Spirit of Ecstasy had a tear on her cheek as it drove past.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
ooop, someone got out of the wrong side of their guilded carriage.

those cars are devoid of all grace and class, so what draws you to them?
I can't imagine why people buy them?

markup_1000003033.png

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
i see, so it's impractical on the inside as well

so it's what, a hundred grand a chair? underwhelmed
To be fair, the quality and attention to detail is unbelievable. Some of the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in, insanely thick carpets, high quality woods and leather throughout. I've been around the factory at Goodwood and there is so much that is built or put together by hand, compared with the vast majority of cars. Which is what'd you'd expect if you're paying through the nose for it, to be fair.

But yeah, it's a lot of money to spend on a car, but what Bentley and RR have realised is that there are PLENTY of people with that amount of money to spend.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
ooop, someone got out of the wrong side of their guilded carriage.

those cars are devoid of all grace and class, so what draws you to them?
exactly, they run against the image of the brand, just dont make any sense. want a 4x4 get a Range Rover, at least they know what they are doing. at this point people are just buying shit SUVs because they are expensive

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
exactly, they run against the image of the brand, just dont make any sense. want a 4x4 get a Range Rover, at least they know what they are doing. at this point people are just buying shit SUVs because they are expensive
If the image of these brands don't change, they cease to exist or compete, so it makes perfect sense.

I'm guessing that most of the time they are not buying cars like that for their off-road capabilities (very few Range Rovers veer away from the Tarmac, let alone Bentaygas and Cullinans), it's all about the badge. They want a Rolls-Royce or Bentley, but because the market is awash with SUVs and crossovers, these are what they go for. It's all about fashion and exactly what Porsche spotted years ago with Cayenne (another car model that saved a company!).

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
To be fair, the quality and attention to detail is unbelievable. Some of the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in, insanely thick carpets, high quality woods and leather throughout. I've been around the factory at Goodwood and there is so much that is built or put together by hand, compared with the vast majority of cars. Which is what'd you'd expect if you're paying through the nose for it, to be fair.

But yeah, it's a lot of money to spend on a car, but what Bentley and RR have realised is that there are PLENTY of people with that amount of money to spend.
i like your use of the word, insanely; how thick do you want a car carpet?

does it improve the quality of your life enough?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here