Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just post it to Ten Downing Street.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I'm generally pro Europe and am 95% certain I will vote to remain, but I do agree that this shouldn't be an expense the taxpayer has to cough up. More typical dirty and dishonest tactics from Dave and co IMO, although I dont really expect anything less.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Don't see the problem with this. The government believes staying in is the best thing for the country. The government has a duty to inform voters why their policy is the correct one. Because this is a referendum not a regular Parliament vote it requires the general populace to be informed about the issue. They have determined the best way to achieve this is through a mailshot.

This is simply the democratic duty of the government, yes it costs money, but the price paid to strengthen democracy is worth it.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Should need 55% anyway IMHO.

Problem is that's just too arbitrary. Why not 60%, or 58 or 52%?

That said, what would be the ramifications if:

A) Brexit won overall but;
B) Overall turnout was less than 60%
B) Margin of victory was less than 2%;
C)Scotland, Wales and NI all voted to remain.

That would be a constitutional nightmare.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
scaremonger! Burn the scaremonger!!!

Ha..! Am I scaremongering? Leave enthusiasts really ought to think about the consequences it could have for a very long time to come if UK picks-up its football and stomps-off. From a personal point of view I have serious doubts whether my German/Italian employer would retain a base in the UK after BREXIT; they can probably do without the ensuing hassle.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Don't see the problem with this. The government believes staying in is the best thing for the country. The government has a duty to inform voters why their policy is the correct one. Because this is a referendum not a regular Parliament vote it requires the general populace to be informed about the issue. They have determined the best way to achieve this is through a mailshot.

This is simply the democratic duty of the government, yes it costs money, but the price paid to strengthen democracy is worth it.

And in addition to that, it's actually quite impressive that they can send out 29,000,000 letters for £9,000,000.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton

However, it is not democratic it is dictatorial, i.e we know best. They do not no best, they only have an opinion on what they think will be best. The Brexits have an opinion that it will be best to leave so should have the same opportunity to also use public money to say so.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
However, it is not democratic it is dictatorial, i.e we know best. They do not no best, they only have an opinion on what they think will be best. The Brexits have an opinion that it will be best to leave so should have the same opportunity to also use public money to say so.

In addition its not really even the government as a whole, Chris Grayling, Michael Gove et al. who are in the government, don't get to send out leaflets on behalf of the government.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Opinion or predictions if espoused by the Pro EU side are often presented as fact. You are right it is undemocratic which is why the Electoral commission have criticized them saying they shouldn't have done it. Pro EU side in anti democratic move shock ... :nono:

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Another hilarious suggestion from the Out side, carefully thought-through as always.

There's nothing to stop anyone posting their leaflet to the address it came from. If they put a stamp on it, it will be delivered. If they don't, it won't - unless the addressee offers to pay the cost. And what, outraged Brexiters, makes you think they will offer to pay?

Returned leaflets will finish up being recycled without inconveniencing the government in the slightest.. You'd find it easier just to put them in the bin if you don't want to read them, as one does with any other leaflet you're not interested in.
Did i say i was out?? Get your facts right. If i was sent by the out party i would do the same send it back to them .

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If, hypothetically, I chose to pop it in a plain envelope borrowed from work and put the address of my local Tory Party HQ on there, would they have to pay?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Ridiculous amount of toilet paper arrives through my door daily. I'm getting London election stuff too.

I will be posting this government stuff back.

Absolute waste of money - leading up the vote there will be hours of balanced television on BBC, ITV and even SKY and the opportunity for all to make their view.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Don't see the problem with this. The government believes staying in is the best thing for the country. The government has a duty to inform voters why their policy is the correct one.

Which doesn't require a 9 million pound mailing campaign.

The cost of which is more than each campaign is allowed to spend. Shoddy.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Democracy would be both sides having equal amounts to put forward their case.
The gov jumping the gun and spending 9 million to push a message for a body which in itself is undemocratic is balls,and a massive own goal to boot.

im not surprised a brainwashed euro licker like yourself thinks this is all perfectly legitimate.God help us if we remain if that sort of wasteful one sided propaganda rationale becomes common practice.

Unplug your brains and obey the message indeed

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Will not be sending it back. It will go in the recycling. Although tbh, it was a total waste of resources. If you don't know why it's better to stay in, you're better off out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here