Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

just listening to SCR...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
roz said:
So should the BBC consider needing "proper names" on text messages? Probably. But then how do you stop someone texting in as "Moya" to say precisely the same thing?

I quote from the BBC's Producer Guidelines, page 276. It's also at http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/policies/producer_guides/text/section5.shtml. The emphasis is mine.

BBC Phone-ins are generally live in order to provide genuine spontaneity. This means that producers must constantly be alert to the possibility of callers breaking the law or causing widespread offence in matters of taste, decency or language. To minimise the risks involved, potential contributors should be called back and not normally put straight on-air.

Last edited:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
I quote from the BBC's Producer Guidelines, page 276. It's also at http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/policies/producer_guides/text/section5.shtml. The emphasis is mine.

BBC Phone-ins are generally live in order to provide genuine spontaneity. This means that producers must constantly be alert to the possibility of callers breaking the law or causing widespread offence in matters of taste, decency or language. To minimise the risks involved, potential contributors should be called back and not normally put straight on-air.
And they do.

The problem is the text message. I'm not sure how this can be overcome, other than by SCR ceasing to canvass opinions via text messaging.

I guess they are quite handy in weeks when there aren't many callers, but would the programme really be poorer if it was phone-calls only?

I know from my own time working regularly on a Radio Sussex phone-in (some years ago - unrelated to football), that, although regular callers can usually be "reliable", there is always a wish from the production team to get new callers on air. Inviting text messages seems to me to be a sloppy (and risky) way to achieve this.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Part of my job is deciding what texts to read out on the BBC. Speaking on behalf of myself and not the BBC, I have to say that if I got a text on a particularly controversial issue from someone anonymous, I would be more than likely to ring them back to check first.

Last edited:

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Well certainly SCR do phone back. With text messages I guess they take them at face value and it's difficult to see how or why they shouldn't. I suppose the situation changes if there's more than an isolated incident of "identity theft" - if describing the misuse of an internet identity in such thrilling terms didn't take things deep into a Very, Very Precious Twilight Zone.

Not for me to say, I realise, but if I was Yorkie, I'd think very carefully about prolonging this on SCR on Tuesday. At best I'm not sure how this would undo what's been done. At worst it's yet more attention devoted to "Evil Yorkie" (ffs!!!).

Besides which, something really interesting will have happened by then. Won't it? Please?

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
I have to say that if I got a text on a particularly controversial issue from someone anonymous, I would be more than likely to ring them back to check first.

And ask what?

"Is your name Yorkie?"

"That it is."

Does it really matter in the slightest? You'll always get stupid calls and texts, and people can call themselves whatever they like ... or is Mr. Bob York not allowed to refer to himself as Yorkie, as that's trademarked?

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Does it really matter in the slightest? You'll always get stupid calls and texts, and people can call themselves whatever they like ... or is Mr. Bob York not allowed to refer to himself as Yorkie, as that's trademarked?

He'd be better off admitting to being Enid Prunehat of North Lancing. Then he'd DEFINITELY be taken seriously by SCR.

(No offence, Ian!)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Peter said:
Is there only one Brighton supporter in existance with the nickname Yorkie?

Does the world revolve around NSC and certain arrogant posters?

Maybe this was a ploy by Harty to bring up just these assumptions.

Above all else who gives a f***.

(Game on)

Spot on, sir.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Harty said:
So Peter after being lucky to lose 5-1 and again having serious worries about the last 9 matches of the season the last thing I need is a bogus text scenario.
Its a fair point that there might be more than one Yorkie, but more likely its someones idea of a 'joke' at either Yorkie or Mark McGhee's expense.
They're not that clever as has been pointed out because they left their number behind, I now have it and hope to find out who it was.
When we do that I can first point out that the view expressed in the text is that of someone who really knows nothing about football or the Albion's current situation, because if DK gets rid of McGhee now he might as well go and hand deliver Brighton's entry to next season's LDV competition.
And of course I will be letting Yorkie know who her would be Mike Yarwood is.
Needless to say Colon has been told, AGAIN, that if a text has a certain content and has merely a nickname assigned to it he shouldn't read it out.
The majority still use proper names, its not that hard!

Frankly, what a load of shit.

And you think it's ok to hand out telephone numbers from your contiributors to others who have no right to have access to that information?

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
5 Pages of this thread.

I'm sorry but this really is SAD

Some people need to seriously get over themselves

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Bozza said:

And you think it's ok to hand out telephone numbers from your contiributors to others who have no right to have access to that information?

My point exactly.

Does it really matter that much anyway ?

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
Bozza said:

B]

Brilliant and sums up NSC at the minute.

This website used to be a minefield of Football debate and a fuckin good laugh. Nows its full of self opinionioanted drivil which if you dont agree with you are pulled to pieces.

Ifs a fuckin website not a way of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here