Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just how awful is this government? June 2020 edition

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The government voted down the Lords amendment to protect the NHS from trade deals.

Meanwhile

[tweet]1354404110813028353[/tweet]

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The government voted down the Lords amendment to protect the NHS from trade deals.

Meanwhile

That's not a good look, as Health Secretary, still he will ride it out like all the rest of them. They seem immune from all scandals whatever they do.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I suppose it depends ultimately on the interpretation of 'responsible'.
Everyone must surely welcome the anticipated 3.5 million Covid recovery; I have great respect for NHS staff, carers, volunteers and scientists who variously produced, developed and administered the vaccines that enabled that recovery.
However, I am not sure the extent to which a government (of any colour) deserves credit for fulfilling, or trying to fulfil its fundamental purpose - that is to protect its citizens.
For the Government to claim (or others to claim on its behalf) credit for this seems to me misdirected praise.

Wonders will never cease..I agree with the most of what you say, it is indeed the responsibility of government to protect its people and of course we all immensely proud of our NHS and our scientific team that have worked tirelessly to develop this vaccine. Credit where credit is due,over 3.5 million have beaten this virus that the western world knew nothing about until just over a year ago,that is fantastic news.

Perhaps I should have posted on the Coronavirus good news thread instead of the Government/Tory bashing thread?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Wonders will never cease..I agree with the most of what you say, it is indeed the responsibility of government to protect its people and of course we all immensely proud of our NHS and our scientific team that have worked tirelessly to develop this vaccine. Credit where credit is due,over 3.5 million have beaten this virus that the western world knew nothing about until just over a year ago,that is fantastic news.

Perhaps I should have posted on the Coronavirus good news thread instead of the Government/Tory bashing thread?

You could also post on the Coronavirus good news thread that the 100,000 people who have died are mainly old, poor or non-white, and have saved the taxpayer loads in state pensions and benefits?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Meanwhile

Oh the the IEA, the think tank rated by the accountability group Transparify as "highly opaque"

It gets hidden on the fringes of media and they just hope not too many people notice and comprehend what they are up to

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
You could also post on the Coronavirus good news thread that the 100,000 people who have died are mainly old, poor or non-white, and have saved the taxpayer loads in state pensions and benefits?

Don't let that football finance brain of yours wander!!

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

Good to know you are in agreement. However, probably unlike you I think that Boris Johnson's behaviour from the outset has been reprehensible arguably starting with....

https://www.politicshome.com/news/a...me-day-officials-urged-ban-new-documents-show

....so really I think our exchange is appropriately placed in this thread.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Serious Question:-
Are you suggesting that the Government should claim credit for 3.5 million people beating Coronavirus?
If so, by this logic are you not implicitly suggesting that the same Government should take the blame for many thousands not beating it?

The only way to measure it is to compare with other countries

We are the worst

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Good to know you are in agreement. However, probably unlike you I think that Boris Johnson's behaviour from the outset has been reprehensible arguably starting with....

https://www.politicshome.com/news/a...me-day-officials-urged-ban-new-documents-show

Oh I quite agree, cannot stand the silly arse. But can you begin to imagine what state we’d be in now if we returned a Labour Government in 2019? At least we’re light years ahead in the vaccination program.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Oh I quite agree, cannot stand the silly arse. But can you begin to imagine what state we’d be in now if we returned a Labour Government in 2019? At least we’re light years ahead in the vaccination program.

... well I try to concentrate on what is rather than what might have been. Without laying it on too thickly, through sheer incompetence and bravado I think our Prime Minister is indirectly 'responsible' for the deaths of many thousands; and that is not all right and cannot be passed over simply because he shows a charismatic oafishness.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
... well I try to concentrate on what is rather than what might have been. Without laying it on too thickly, through sheer incompetence and bravado I think our Prime Minister is indirectly 'responsible' for the deaths of many thousands; and that is not all right and cannot be passed over simply because he shows a charismatic oafishness.

You are fully entitled to think that the Prime Minister is is indirectly ‘responsible ‘ .

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
You are fully entitled to think that the Prime Minister is is indirectly ‘responsible ‘ .

Thanks.
I know.
On reflection should that not be indirectly 'irresponsible'?

Last edited:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
... Without laying it on too thickly, through sheer incompetence and bravado I think our Prime Minister is indirectly 'responsible' for the deaths of many thousands; and that is not all right and cannot be passed over simply because he shows a charismatic oafishness.

Of course the hard way of expressing it is to ask the question: "How many more would have survived if Boris Johnson hadn't?"

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020

gaslit

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Of course the hard way of expressing it is to ask the question: "How many more would have survived if Boris Johnson hadn't?"

For the record I never wanted the incompetent Johnson to lose his life, just his job!
But reflecting on such a grave scenario, I cannot think of anyone out of the current Cabinet who has both the nous and compassion to do the PM's job competently....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here