Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just how awful is this government? June 2020 edition

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I spent quite a bit of time in 2018 and 2019 touring the EU (part of a little project of mine to visit all the other 27 countries before we left - just about managed it thanks to the extensions!). I mainly tried to avoid tourist traps, and quite often got to see what you might call the "authentic" parts of most countries (whatever that might mean). It was clear to me that we are gradually, almost imperceptibly, falling behind most of our European neighbours. It's mainly visible in the infrastructure, but also just in the way people live. A few countries were very notably much poorer - Bulgaria, Romania, Slovakia. But generally I returned to the UK thinking "blimey, we've got a lot to learn".

Unfortunately I think the average Brit takes very little interest in what's happening outside the UK, and readily laps up the propaganda that the government dishes out. Let's not kid ourselves - there aren't many areas where we can genuinely say we're "world class" - and most of those will be critically undermined post-Brexit. It's all very depressing.

Avid Remainer has the time and money to travel around Europe on a farewell tour and sees exactly what he wants to see *shock* :D

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I spent quite a bit of time in 2018 and 2019 touring the EU (part of a little project of mine to visit all the other 27 countries before we left - just about managed it thanks to the extensions!). I mainly tried to avoid tourist traps, and quite often got to see what you might call the "authentic" parts of most countries (whatever that might mean). It was clear to me that we are gradually, almost imperceptibly, falling behind most of our European neighbours. It's mainly visible in the infrastructure, but also just in the way people live. A few countries were very notably much poorer - Bulgaria, Romania, Slovakia. But generally I returned to the UK thinking "blimey, we've got a lot to learn".

Unfortunately I think the average Brit takes very little interest in what's happening outside the UK, and readily laps up the propaganda that the government dishes out. Let's not kid ourselves - there aren't many areas where we can genuinely say we're "world class" - and most of those will be critically undermined post-Brexit. It's all very depressing.

What really hits home overseas is our weakened currency, compared to 5 years ago 25% weaker against the USD and 13% against the Euro, we have far less buying power in international terms.

The average Brit can afford to buy few iphones per capita, fewer cars, fewer bananas, few barrels of oil and its the poor that gets hit the hardest.

This lot have become the masters at convincing the population that they're on their side and we're all in this together, sadly we're not

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
im always confused by the passport thing, why didnt someone from pro-EU side simply change the passport colour and squash the arguement?

I seem to remember, we had the choice of keeping the blue ( black?) passports or having the maroon Eu coloured one.
The Government at the time ( Thatcher?) chose the EU colour..

I believe the controversy at the time was that the European Union was above the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

I always thought as a kid in the 80's how much better and better developed the European, albeit western, countries were we visited on holidays compared to here, let alone now. The sick man of Europe was on the mend back then though, not now. Depressing, as you say.

D

Deleted member 22389

Avid Remainer has the time and money to travel around Europe on a farewell tour and sees exactly what he wants to see *shock* :D

Everything always look nicer when you go on holiday, completely different story when you have to go and work in some of these places. Once you see how these other systems work, the UK isn't such a bad place at all.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

Avid brexitter can’t even contemplate the the U.K. is not it’s all cracked up to be.
Millennials will be the first generation worse off than their parents ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Everything always look nicer when you go on holiday, completely different story when you have to go and work in some of these places. Once you see how these other systems work, the UK isn't such a bad place at all.

I have no idea why millions of EU citizens came to live and work here and why thousands of refugees travelled all the way across several other European countries to seek asylum in poor old blighty .. If life on the continent was/is so much better. :wink:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I have no idea why millions of EU citizens came to live and work here and why thousands of refugees travelled all the way across several other European countries to seek asylum in poor old blighty .. If life on the continent was/is so much better. :wink:

With key Tories saying British workers are among the worst idlers in the world, maybe they see opportunity...

D

Deleted member 22389

My daughters friends mother is Polish. She loves this country, she loves the opportunity it has given her. She is doing well for herself along with her husband. She told my wife it was her dream to come and live in this country, and she doesn't ever see herself going back to Poland. It's exhausting looking at NSC these days, the negativity brings you down.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53095336

In a major U-turn, the UK is ditching the way its current coronavirus-tracing app works and shifting to a model based on technology provided by Apple and Google.

Just watched Hancock bullshitting on this, incompetent ... it's gone from a key to our 'world beating track and trace system' to it would be 'nice when it works'.

****ing useless *****

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
My daughters friends mother is Polish. She loves this country, she loves the opportunity it has given her. She is doing well for herself along with her husband. She told my wife it was her dream to come and live in this country, and she doesn't ever see herself going back to Poland. It's exhausting looking at NSC these days, the negativity brings you down.

64,000 excess deaths - I wonder what we could have achieved if we just believed more

*edit* I had to go and check the current number

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Just watched Hancock bullshitting on this, incompetent ... it's gone from a key to our 'world beating track and trace system' to it would be 'nice when it works'.

****ing useless *****

Get this months Private which gives you the run done on what actually happened...

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Get this months Private which gives you the run done on what actually happened...

arrived today... better have a slash before reading it as I assume it's going to make my piss boll.

(I assume you mean Private Eye, I think 'Private' is a jazz mag)

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Sometimes it takes fresh eyes to see what some always take for granted. Being born and living in this great country is an undoubted blessing which is why so many from around the world choose this country above all others to work and live. It's a shame we can't do a direct exchange of those citizens with people here who always run this country down, constantly wallowing in negativity and almost seem to enjoy any difficulties this country endures. You would think they'd be happy to clutter off to all the other parts of the world if they really thought life there is so much better.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
arrived today... better have a slash before reading it as I assume it's going to make my piss boll.

(I assume you mean Private Eye, I think 'Private' is a jazz mag)

No it's not in there... mmmmm

I read the story somewhere else. It puts a lot of blame on the NHS. I'll try and hunt it down.

Nothing to do with the excuses Hancock is using.

D

Deleted member 22389

Sometimes it takes fresh eyes to see what some always take for granted. Being born and living in this great country is an undoubted blessing which is why so many from around the world choose this country above all others to work and live. It's a shame we can't do a direct exchange of those citizens with people here who always run this country down, constantly wallowing in negativity and almost seem to enjoy any difficulties this country endures. You would think they'd be happy to clutter off to all the other parts of the world if they really thought life there is so much better.

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here