Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just 3 years for killing a boy through dangerous driving

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
You are aware that combustion engines are in the process of being phased out? Also, exactly what tax should a cyclist get a reduction in bearing in mind you don't pay any tax as a cyclist?

It will be interesting to see how a future government is going to make up the shortfall of £28 billion per annum from fuel taxes.

Notwithstanding the thread subject, 3 years is a disgrace.

Tom Hayes, the first banker to be jailed for rigging interest rates got 11 years and served 5and a half!

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
And the thread is about inadequate sentencing.

Because we live in a car led culture, there is inadequate sentencing. It really is that simple.

It really isn't - the sentencing guidelines for death by dangerous driving are very similar to the sentencing guidelines for manslaughter - because (assuming no intent to kill) it's simply a specific variant of manslaughter.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
It will be interesting to see how a future government is going to make up the shortfall of £28 billion per annum from fuel taxes.

They've already introduced differential company car tax rates for ultra low emissions vehicles (previously £0) based on 'zero-emission' range, VED can't be far behind.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It really isn't - the sentencing guidelines for death by dangerous driving are very similar to the sentencing guidelines for manslaughter - because (assuming no intent to kill) it's simply a specific variant of manslaughter.

Tell me what the maximum sentence is for manslaughter in the UK.

Then tell me what the maximum sentence for death by dangerous driving is in the UK.

I will concede that rarely is the maximum sentence for manslaughter given however.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok still here then.

You can see why us drivers get upset by the latest hot topic LTN:-

More striking symbolism as to why the car is king

1_Fox-hill-JPG.jpg

Incredibly confrontational signing, esp when compared to an alternative that was quickly rushed through

IMG_0383-scaled.jpeg

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So you are now diverting the discussion to cyclists. Again. And you're complaining about another poster trying to change the agenda.

I also classify pedestrians, pram walkers, wheelchair and mobility scooters, horse riders, dog walkers all as road users. Do we all need competency tests because motoring is so dangerous?

I agree, they all are, and do you not think that there are varying degrees of competency required, especially if you separate out those that mainly use the road and those that are just crossing it? Do you let a child cross the road without teaching the highway code and then checking that do it properly. Would you let your child ride on the roads just because they can balance on a bike? Kids have Bikeability taught at schools but it's not compulsory. Someone who's only just started riding could walk into halfords, buy a bike and cycle down the nearest dual carriageway!

I've already said I'm in favour or more regular re testing of drivers to improve standards but standards could be improved across the board.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Maximum for manslaughter is Life, maximum for death by dangerous driving is only 14 years (out in 7 probably on good behaviour). If you deliberately drive at someone it's likely to be GBH with intent which carries a maximum life sentence.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Some courts appear to think three years is too long .............
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-56660341

Shakes head in disbelief.

Youssaf, of Wingrove Road in Fenham, later handed himself in and claimed he had tried to ring 999 three times but the call failed to connect.

Northumbria Police found the 999 calls had been incorrectly dialled before being manually deleted from his phone.​

How can you incorrectly dial 999?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Youssaf, of Wingrove Road in Fenham, later handed himself in and claimed he had tried to ring 999 three times but the call failed to connect.

Northumbria Police found the 999 calls had been incorrectly dialled before being manually deleted from his phone.​

How can you incorrectly dial 999?
It's probably harder to do whilst you are driving?

No idea really!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
A journey we'll never get to the end of, all the time:-

- A 2 week old's death doesn't register.
- People not in cars don't feel safe.
- Public transport remains overpriced and woefully underfunded.
- LTN's are sneered at on national news.
- Us motorists are given annual tax breaks at the pumps.
- Electric cars are prioritised over electric anything else.

and we have an entire culture of:-

'I must get there first, I must save 10 secs'.

(feel free to add)

Let us not forget the pedestrians put at peril everyday by numerous arse hole cyclists who insist on breaking the law by riding on the pavement.

As a spokesman for the cycling lobby, perhaps you might want to consider putting your own house in order before putting the boot into car drivers. (And I don't drive!)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Let us not forget the pedestrians put at peril everyday by numerous arse hole cyclists who insist on breaking the law by riding on the pavement.

As a spokesman for the cycling lobby, perhaps you might want to consider putting your own house in order before putting the boot into car drivers. (And I don't drive!)

Out of 400 pedestrians' deaths by collision, just 2.5 are from a cyclist. 397.5 from a vehicle.
Some of which, are the pedestrians at fault for stepping out without looking.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ads-bikes-pedestrian-collision-deaths-britain

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

That's you take on a thread that got bounced after this little fella was killed by a driver and his car

_117854568_daa4c372-52d9-40c0-856c-3e16abcfb45e.jpg

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

What an absolute cock you are.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Another 3 year sentence

[tweet]1380593615970402305[/tweet]

I can't find it now but a Police Superintendent (I think) said words to the effect 'sentencing for dangerous driving needs overhauling now'.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Another 3 year sentence

[tweet]1380593615970402305[/tweet]

I can't find it now but a Police Superintendent (I think) said words to the effect 'sentencing for dangerous driving needs overhauling now'.

It seems in this case the sentencing wasn't the problem. Why did the judge only give him three and half years when he could have given him four times as much?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It seems in this case the sentencing wasn't the problem. Why did the judge only give him three and half years when he could have given him four times as much?

Just looking at the court record.

Death by careless driving

Death whilst driving uninsured and without a licence

Failure to stop after an accident/collision

Causing death by careless driving.

Seems the judged sentenced him on the basis that he wasn't under the influence despite visual evidence to the contrary! Guessing it was also a lighter sentence due to a guilty pleas. Doesn't seem right or just.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Paige Blake was driving whilst talking on WhatsApp and killed a guy. With good behaviour, out in 15 months.

https://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/pregnant-woman-jailed-for-killing-cyclist-in-hatfield-7903982

A woman who was talking to her sister on WhatsApp when she hit and killed a cyclist has been jailed for 30 months.

Paige Blake, who is pregnant, was driving on the A414 dual carriageway near Hatfield House, Hatfield, on 20 April 2020 when her Ford Fiesta hit Freddie Oborne's bike.

Mr Oborne, 80, from Hertford, died at the scene.

Blake, 24, of Longwood Road, Hertford, pleaded guilty at St Albans Crown Court to causing death by dangerous driving.
Mr Oborne, a keen athlete who competed in cycling events and triathlons, had two daughters, a son and seven grandchildren.

At the time of his death, his family said: "Our dearly loved dad, grandad and great grandad. He will forever be in our hearts and minds, and he has now been reunited with his beloved Liz where he belongs."

Judge Michael Kay also banned Blake from driving for four years and three months.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Paige Blake was driving whilst talking on WhatsApp and killed a guy. With good behaviour, out in 15 months.

https://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/pregnant-woman-jailed-for-killing-cyclist-in-hatfield-7903982

A woman who was talking to her sister on WhatsApp when she hit and killed a cyclist has been jailed for 30 months.

Paige Blake, who is pregnant, was driving on the A414 dual carriageway near Hatfield House, Hatfield, on 20 April 2020 when her Ford Fiesta hit Freddie Oborne's bike.

Mr Oborne, 80, from Hertford, died at the scene.

Blake, 24, of Longwood Road, Hertford, pleaded guilty at St Albans Crown Court to causing death by dangerous driving.
Mr Oborne, a keen athlete who competed in cycling events and triathlons, had two daughters, a son and seven grandchildren.

At the time of his death, his family said: "Our dearly loved dad, grandad and great grandad. He will forever be in our hearts and minds, and he has now been reunited with his beloved Liz where he belongs."

Judge Michael Kay also banned Blake from driving for four years and three months.

And sadly we could go on and on and on with examples just like this.

No one's listening unfortunately. It's the accepted price of a car led culture.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And sadly we could go on and on and on with examples just like this.

No one's listening unfortunately. It's the accepted price of a car led culture.

Is the correct answer.

Since the heart breaking story that bounced this thread, at least 10 other people have been killed by drivers, but it just isn't worth mentioning.

I did manage to squeeze the local news story about the cyclist who had his head stoved in after an altercation.
I didn't highlight the fella who got a fine and his 'license' revoked for his 7th driving without a license offence.
Or the Merc with no tread on a tyre and faulty brakes.

After making a snidey comment about us entitled drivers I was accused of turning the discussion to cyclist v car, at no point had I made any reference to cycling, just playing the man not the ball, but that did turn the discussion into cyclist v car.

As 1066 says this is just the acceptable cost of a car culture, much like school shootings are an acceptable cost of a gun culture, in the US.

[tweet]1382611230976839680[/tweet]

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here