Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jury Service

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Think about it, you run a small business, you are all vital members of staff to the business, not secretarial, not unskilled, but key employees. You would have to think very carefully before you employed someone who was planning on having a baby, if you lost that member of staff for up to a year, apart from the money you would have to pay them when they are not earning, how could you operate? It could be commercial suicide, it would be a factor for any very small business. Then again, I'm sure any small business employer knows this already and wouldn't take the risk.

And as soon as you admit that was a hiring decision, you won't have a business anymore after you've been either sued, fined, or both sufficiently to destroy it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My business would suffer if I had to do jury service, I put in many extra hours during the year to pay for a holiday and to spend some time with my family at Christmas.
I wouldn't care what anyone like you thought of me if I had to get out of jury service.

Out of interest, what is the nature of your business then?

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
And as soon as you admit that was a hiring decision, you won't have a business anymore after you've been either sued, fined, or both sufficiently to destroy it.

Do you think someone would admit it?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I've long since stopped being surprised at people's stupidity.

I guess there might be some who'd admit it, but in the main I'd trust the employer to make an appropriate decision on staffing.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
If you earn £1000 per week,will you get that if on jury service?

i don't but if that's what i earn,i would expect that,if not bills would not be paid,the missus would complain,i would be out of pocket,getting an ear bashing from her and knocks at the door,coupled with no food on the table,the state would have to pay for me,i could be homeless bankrupt and turn to crime too....

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
The Jury is supposed to be a selection of your peers. However if people working for small businesses, salesmen, self employed people, people who would lose substantial earnings and and people smart enough to get out of it dont do jury duty, then you are actually only getting a very small representation of your peers.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The Jury is supposed to be a selection of your peers. However if people working for small businesses, salesmen, self employed people, people who would lose substantial earnings and and people smart enough to get out of it dont do jury duty, then you are actually only getting a very small representation of your peers.

That wouldn't bother me in the slightest, supporting my family and paying my way is more important.
If I was chosen for jury service I would be worrying like the OP.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This exactly where i'm at being self employed its going to cost me big time.
I understood being SE was not a valid reason to be excluded.
If employed i'd love to do it.

Call them, explain the situation and it should be fine. I was expecting a battle to get out of it, but it was really straightforward.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
That wouldn't bother me in the slightest, supporting my family and paying my way is more important.
If I was chosen for jury service I would be worrying like the OP.

oh i agree, Just an observation :thumbsup:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Call them, explain the situation and it should be fine. I was expecting a battle to get out of it, but it was really straightforward.

I will do exactly this Greg after the festivities, will will report back on the outcome.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The daft thing is that if you earn more than about £825 a week, you are better off not turning up and getting the fine. It's absurd that you could potentially be hundreds of pounds out of pocket for doing your civic duty.

Chris45

Jul 29, 2010
Just turn up, be yourself, throw a couple of your jokes at them & you'll be home by lunchtime, simples.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Gone through the list and there don't seem to be any exclusions that apply to me.
Have i got to do it, how can get out of it legitimately ?

Quick bounce to find out if you managed to wiggle out of this and, if so, how?

I only ask as I have just got the pretty pink Jury Service summons too. Being self employed, I don't really fancy paying for the privilege of doing my duty.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Quick bounce to find out if you managed to wiggle out of this and, if so, how?

I only ask as I have just got the pretty pink Jury Service summons too. Being self employed, I don't really fancy paying for the privilege of doing my duty.

I got it deferred, got the impression that you have a option to defer it but only once, Had a letter saying it had been deferred until May ! ****ing May, though it was going to be for a couple of years.
Will have to ring then nearer the time to try and be excused this time citing being self employed, only advice is to go for exclusion rather than deferral and it only for a few week :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here