[Albion] Julio Enciso - Paraguay’s new wonder kid (Signed 17/06/2022)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
This is the key bit:

“Enciso has 20% of his own registration rights, which isn’t unusual in South America, so besides Brighton’s agreement with Libertdad, they had to reach a deal with the striker for his part as well.

And while Enciso wanted to receive his amount in Paraguay, due to different tax rates in his home country, the Seagulls wanted to pay him in England.

So he decided to turn down the move.”

Seems the player would have picked up £1.6m if the deal was £8m but he didn’t want to be paid in sterling? Very sad if this is true.

Probably as half would go to HMRC, so wanted to be paid locally - apparently taxes in his home country at 10% - with no extra tax if it’s earnt outside the country !

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not the only club unable to agree terms with a player this window, imagine not being able to agree personal terms as a Prem club with a non league player from Lewes though.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I'm not clued up on tax law, but I wouldn't think that HMRC would be too pleased if the club had paid Enciso in a way that meant he could pay tax in Paraguay when he would have been playing and earning in England. Rather dodgy legally, surely, and not something Tony Bloom would have had anything to do with, I wouldn't have thought.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
This is the key bit:

“Enciso has 20% of his own registration rights, which isn’t unusual in South America, so besides Brighton’s agreement with Libertdad, they had to reach a deal with the striker for his part as well.

And while Enciso wanted to receive his amount in Paraguay, due to different tax rates in his home country, the Seagulls wanted to pay him in England.

Seems the player would have picked up £1.6m if the deal was £8m but he didn’t want to be paid in sterling? Very sad if this is true.

To be fair to him, the transfer fee is for his registration rights currently entirely owned in Paraguay, I don't see why it should involve HMRC, if it makes it easier, get his current club to buy the 20% he owns from him.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Shame for it to fall down over a few hundred thousand. Maybe we can sort it in the Summer.

Unless his attitude wasn't right in closing this out.

Last edited:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Some posters seem to be getting awfully upset about us not signing a Paraguayan teenager, he may turn out to be good but who really knows at this early stage. If he's that swayed by money at this stage of his career, instead of joining a club in the most watched league in the world and making a name for himself, it probably raises a few red flags.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
To be fair to him, the transfer fee is for his registration rights currently entirely owned in Paraguay, I don't see why it should involve HMRC, if it makes it easier, get his current club to buy the 20% he owns from him.

But he'd potentially be a uk resident for tax purposes as he'd be working for a Uk based business.
Anyway sounds complex, but these complex rules didn't stop us signing Alexis M and Moisés C from South American clubs so assume we know what we are doing and this lad doesn't want to pay his taxes.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Some posters seem to be getting awfully upset about us not signing a Paraguayan teenager, he may turn out to be good but who really knows at this early stage. If he's that swayed by money at this stage of his career, instead of joining a club in the most watched league in the world and making a name for himself, it probably raises a few red flags.

And if you are a Paraguayan Wonder Kid there will be advisors and associates who are extremely interested in the personal terms of this very young man!

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
If he ends up in the MLS then it shows it was about money and not development/career which is a big red flag for a young player.

Trust the clubs judgment on this as with young players of late we seem to be signing some good characters who are bought into the pathway to first team football we provide

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
But he'd potentially be a uk resident for tax purposes as he'd be working for a Uk based business.
Anyway sounds complex, but these complex rules didn't stop us signing Alexis M and Moisés C from South American clubs so assume we know what we are doing and this lad doesn't want to pay his taxes.

I won't pretend I know better, but if I had worked out in my head that I had a certain amount coming my way, and then that figure got halved, I probably would wait till the next window and try to sort it out.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Could be any number of reasons.. his parents were also employed by Libertad so that they could move with him to that club.. guessing any deal would involve them somehow as well. Probably very complicated and doesnt need to be all about the money.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I won't pretend I know better, but if I had worked out in my head that I had a certain amount coming my way, and then that figure got halved, I probably would wait till the next window and try to sort it out.

More likely his AGENTS realised they’d been getting half what they expected, so told him not to sign. As an 18yo footballer he probably has no clue WTF is going on.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I hadn't heard of him 3 weeks ago.

Maybe he'll become a world name player but chances are I won't hear much of him again.

Must be other promising youngsters to spend our £8 million on.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I hadn't heard of him 3 weeks ago.

Maybe he'll become a world name player but chances are I won't hear much of him again.

Must be other promising youngsters to spend our £8 million on.

Guess not many had heard of him, I certainly hadn't.

Maybe still will happen, with a bit more time to reach a compromise.

Or more likely West Ham will now move in.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Guess not many had heard of him, I certainly hadn't.

Maybe still will happen, with a bit more time to reach a compromise.

Or more likely West Ham will now move in.

I think we'll regret not getting this one over the line in the coming months/years.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
This is the key bit:

Then clearly not the sort of player we want in our squad. Bullet dodged

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I’d find it odd that from a footballing perspective he’d want to go to MLS rather than the EPL or Jupiler League. But if his motivation to move away from home was that he wanted to go to America, not Europe, and make the most money, then it makes sense. If the money is better for him in the MLS then it’s a no brainer. If we couldn’t offer enough to attract him away from the MLS then that’s a shame, but at least we’ve not gone all-in and risked overspending.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Julio Enciso - Paraguay’s new wonder kid,

I read a piece on the collapse of this deal on one of the Sussex/Brighton news websites. It contained comments from the chairman of Libertad and the players agent.

Apparently the player was ‘angry & upset’ that the deal fell through. The agent has taken responsibility for pulling the deal and it all seems to be about how the 20% of the fee (due to the player) was to be paid.

The agent seems to think a deal in the summer is possible, but if I were the player, rather than focusing on kicking balls for the time being, I’d be concentrating on kicking that agent’s ass!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I read a piece on the collapse of this deal on one of the Sussex/Brighton news websites. It contained comments from the chairman of Libertad and the players agent.

Apparently the player was ‘angry & upset’ that the deal fell through. The agent has taken responsibility for pulling the deal and it all seems to be about how the 20% of the fee (due to the player) was to be paid.

The agent seems to think a deal in the summer is possible, but if I were the player, rather than focusing on kicking balls for the time being, I’d be concentrating on kicking that agent’s ass!

Not like the player is legally bound to listen to his agent... could have said "screw you" and gone there anyway

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports