Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Josh King

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Have you learnt nothing in these last few weeks you can’t be thought spending Tony Blooms money on players :) Especially strikers as they are mythical creatures who don’t really exist...according to some on here :lolol:

With all the talk from opposing views on here, and the “happy with what we’ve got” guff from the club as we’re a man down on last season...... the most interesting thing that’s tested all this was last night, for an hour or so, when people genuinely thought Connolly had to isolate for 2 weeks. In that instant, I think it drove home the reality for a few on here, that we simply cannot afford an injury, a suspension, a Covid isolation or any loss of form to either of Maupay, Connolly or March. It is nuts.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If that suits your agenda then fine, I’ve never mentioned monetary amounts only the fact we need cover in the forward positions :shrug:

What agenda, you called a fellow fan a disgrace just for standing by where we are. You need to have a look in the mirror in terms of agendas.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
It baffles me why there is always exclusions citied by the resale factor.

You pay someone to do a job here and now

He is shortly turning 29, a 3 to 4 year deal where he’s expected to contribute to our success over that time with the risk that he walks away on a free at the end of that doesn’t bother me at all.

The outlay vs the success pays for itself.

Even if it didn’t work out after 2 years he would still have value to recoup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I’m perplexed why so many here continue to be infatuated with Josh King.

It’s one of the busiest threads here and I can’t fathom why. A mediocre forward. Doesn’t score many goals. And was in a disastrously retched relegated Bournemouth side.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
What agenda, you called a fellow fan a disgrace just for standing by where we are. You need to have a look in the mirror in terms of agendas.
No, I called him a disgrace for even suggesting TB could possibly run the club into the ground.

The agenda here is iff posters have the audacity to say we should of signed a striker it’s automatically translated to we can’t afford a £30m striker :shrug: I don’t think anyone worried about injuries suspensions to Maupay has even mentioned a figure. The £30m figure has been plucked out of thin air and seems to have come from the Watkins transfer to Villa transfer.

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

It’s one of the busiest threads here and I can’t fathom why. A mediocre forward. Doesn’t score many goals. And was in a disastrously retched relegated Bournemouth side.
50 odd goals in 160 prem appearances

I beg to differ

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I don’t get really get supporters worries about A. How much a player cost & B. What he earns surely the club know what they can afford and we just want to be entertained on Saturday :shrug:

I know we've made massive investments in 21st century infrastructure which Palace haven't, playing in a crumbling shit hole.

But (and this is not a criticism), I do wonder how our rival, of roughly similar league standing (they get a few million more), of broadly similar gates -and you'd assume similar matchday income....... Are able to afford these 100kpw salaries and we clearly can't.

I'd actually guess, that in normal times, we would make a fair bit more in non match day income from the facilities at the Amex compared to that dump?

I'm not advocating spending more, 100k is obscene, I'm glad we don't, but I do wonder how palace of broadly similar size and standing can do it, and we in theory can't?

Is it our stadium payments to Bloom or just a choice (but we could if we wanted too)?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No, I called him a disgrace for even suggesting TB could possibly run the club into the ground.

The agenda here is iff posters have the audacity to say we should of signed a striker it’s automatically translated to we can’t afford a £30m striker :shrug: I don’t think anyone worried about injuries suspensions to Maupay has even mentioned a figure. The £30m figure has been plucked out of thin air and seems to have come from the Watkins transfer to Villa transfer.

The fact is we haven't signed one, so to this point that is what the club have decided to do. We don't have a say whether it's £5m or £30m, it's almost irrelevant because we don't know or set the budgets.

Now, for all we know TB could be having a hissy fit as to why the £20m (or whatever) he has made available hasn't yet been spent on a striker, or conversely there has been command from on high that wages cannot exceed X and a fee cannot exceed Y, therefore leaving few options.

Gyokeres going out on loan suggests to me we see Trossard and AJ as better options as strikers, thereby giving us 4 at present, 5 if Andone is back fit and reintegrated. They then may also see these options better than some of the transfer targets they have at the price point they've been given.

My personal opinion is that TB sets a strict salary structure which has made signing strikers in particular difficult in the years he has been in charge. I don't have a problem with that because as [MENTION=9708]Farehamseagull[/MENTION] stated, we never want to see the club to overstretch again, so have to have trust in what TB is doing. However, strikers do command ridiculous wages, and I think it does make it the most difficult position for us to fill.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I know we've made massive investments in 21st century infrastructure which Palace haven't, playing in a crumbling shit hole.

But (and this is not a criticism), I do wonder how our rival, of roughly similar league standing (they get a few million more), of broadly similar gates -and you'd assume similar matchday income....... Are able to afford these 100kpw salaries and we clearly can't.

I'd actually guess, that in normal times, we would make a fair bit more in non match day income from the facilities at the Amex compared to that dump?

I'm not advocating spending more, 100k is obscene, I'm glad we don't, but I do wonder how palace of broadly similar size and standing can do it, and we in theory can't?

Is it our stadium payments to Bloom or just a choice (but we could if we wanted too)?
Often have this discussion with mates about Burnley the owners must be rolling in it, hardly spend a penny on transfer fees and Dyche somehow keeps them up season after season.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Often have this discussion with mates about Burnley the owners must be rolling in it, hardly spend a penny on transfer fees and Dyche somehow keeps them up season after season.

Even their wage bill is about £5.5m more than ours. That's likely equal to 2 of our top earners.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The fact is we haven't signed one, so to this point that is what the club have decided to do. We don't have a say whether it's £5m or £30m, it's almost irrelevant because we don't know or set the budgets.

Now, for all we know TB could be having a hissy fit as to why the £20m (or whatever) he has made available hasn't yet been spent on a striker, or conversely there has been command from on high that wages cannot exceed X and a fee cannot exceed Y, therefore leaving few options.

Gyokeres going out on loan suggests to me we see Trossard and AJ as better options as strikers, thereby giving us 4 at present, 5 if Andone is back fit and reintegrated. They then may also see these options better than some of the transfer targets they have at the price point they've been given.

My personal opinion is that TB sets a strict salary structure which has made signing strikers in particular difficult in the years he has been in charge. I don't have a problem with that because as [MENTION=9708]Farehamseagull[/MENTION] stated, we never want to see the club to overstretch again, so have to have trust in what TB is doing. However, strikers do command ridiculous wages, and I think it does make it the most difficult position for us to fill.
There is no way a man like TB would ever overstretch he’s way to smart and I found it a little offensive for it even to be suggested. We know for a fact he really was not happy with the transfers when Hypia was appointed and heads rolled. He’s obviously a very busy man and delegates. There is possibility he’s not happy about the striker situation either.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There is no way a man like TB would ever overstretch he’s way to smart and I found it a little offensive for it even to be suggested. We know for a fact he really was not happy with the transfers when Hypia was appointed and heads rolled. He’s obviously a very busy man and delegates. There is possibility he’s not happy about the striker situation either.

Yep, exactly, of course he might be unhappy with it. It might also be his restrictions that have prevented it - we just don't know.

That's why really I'm neither panicking on the striker front, or think it's perfect to stick with what we have. It is a classic 'it is what it is'.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Because there are somewhere around 5-10 people who on a daily basis in as many threads as they can got this pathological urge to write "we need another striker / we're doomed because we dont have another striker / other teams have another striker" in every thread that in any way relate to the concept of strikers.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
My view is that we’ll get by with what we have, though we won’t be tearing up trees. I suspect Mr Potter believes he has forward thinking players who will suit his system whether they are given the title striker or not.

And one day, one day, that academy that is turning out some very able footballers will produce some very good “strikers” for us to watch in our immaculate stadium as well.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yep, exactly, of course he might be unhappy with it. It might also be his restrictions that have prevented it - we just don't know.

That's why really I'm neither panicking on the striker front, or think it's perfect to stick with what we have. It is a classic 'it is what it is'.
Lets hope the lad from the Alps starts banging them in, he is meant to be the next wonder kid, looking forward to finding out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lets hope the lad from the Alps starts banging them in, he is meant to be the next wonder kid, looking forward to finding out.

I'm looking forward to booing him and writing:-

'Murray would have scored that'.

Happy dayz.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm looking forward to booing him and writing:-

'Murray would have scored that'.

Happy dayz.

You’ll also have to take into account that he wouldn’t have got there...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You’ll also have to take into account that he wouldn’t have got there...

No that's only factored in when he's lumbering around the pitch.

GM is an upright whippet when not playing. :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here