Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jordan Henderson - Yes or No

It’s being reported that he is desperate for a return to the Premier League. Yes or No?

• Yes

Votes: 39 8.0%
  • No

Votes: 317 65.4%
  • If RDZ wants him

Votes: 129 26.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Poskettspurpose

Jun 18, 2021
He would obviously add some further kudos, quality and experience to the squad which is positive. However, I really enjoy sanctimoniously criticizing his money making move at the cost of his ethics, so it's a no from me.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So you don't agree with the 'no dickheads' policy?
i reckon there's a problem with a subjective view, what some fans might classify as dickhead and what the club does. seems in eyes of many simply taking the money makes Henderson fail the test.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Probably do a job as a player, but wouldn't want him. Shown himself to be a bit of a dickhead.
To paraphrase Ricky Gervais previoulsy I was woke, but the level it has gone to now has me opposed to it. For pities sake how far is this nonsense going to go. Yeah sure he went to a culture that is opposed to his stated ethics, presumably for the cash. Did he change his opinion No (at least not publicly) News alert as shocking as it may seem many people have the tendency towards varying degrees of hypocrisy and turning the other way, especially when large sums of money are concerned. Stop crying over stuff that doesn't really matter, there are plenty of things far more worrying to be concerned about.
as to the question at hand would he be a good addition to Milner and Lallana? Yes I think he would.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Erm I think it’s perfectly reasonable to criticise him when he’s stated part of his reasons for going were to “grow the game” ….maybe he needs to give that ambition a bit longer
I am no fan of Hendo. He clearly went there for the money, and it would have been easy for him to say, rather pretentiously, he thought he could help grow the game. And presumably after a few weeks he realized that there is nothing that can be done in a medieval country run by a self-selecting hegemony. I see no reason why he should stay there longer to fulfil his ambitions for the country.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
NO
Have we ever had a player that has been jeered and booed by opposing fans? And by that I mean every ground we would go to, not just a one off team whose player we nicked.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I am no fan of Hendo. He clearly went there for the money, and it would have been easy for him to say, rather pretentiously, he thought he could help grow the game. And presumably after a few weeks he realized that there is nothing that can be done in a medieval country run by a self-selecting hegemony. I see no reason why he should stay there longer to fulfil his ambitions for the country.
You not think he had an inkling of that beforehand? I just don’t think he’s beyond criticism having stressed that part of going as against the dough ……12 or 18 months after going sure….but what’s it been 6/7 months?

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
No.

The man was so steadfast in his position on LGBT+ support in football, until the moment the riyals hit his bank account and then all of a sudden he's just another Saudi mouthpiece. Many would probably do the same, but there's no coming back from that.

Especially in a city like Brighton, given how diverse our city and fanbase are.

The hypocrite can stay out there to "help grow the game". He's just upset to see how his public image has fallen.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Indeed.

Who could blame him for taking all that money?

And who could criticize him for changing his mind?

Still.....an England international. Still.....something something something......

Has Wet Sham and Everton written all over it. Possibly Burnley (used to be Aston Villa, but they are decent now).

Its a 'whatever the club decides' for me.

I don't think I've seen anyone else being criticised for taking the money, other than the wasting their talent argument.

People have issues because of his double standards over his comments on supporting the LGBT+ community/Against Qatar then taking the money to go play there and then Lie about it.

I can't pretend to know what the LGBT groups think of him signing, but I can't think it would be a positive one, I also don't think it's out of place to say it wouldn't go down well in Brighton either given it's links to the community.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think the only reason people have been against him is because he lied and pretended it wasn't about the money. If he'd been honest I think fans would have accepted it.

I'd be fine with it if he came here.
With apologies, I was not aware of the lie. I assume therefore he said 'it has nothing to do with money'. I don't mind him saying he wanted to help grow the game, but if he also claimed he'd go there to do so for no money at all then that would be a lie. If he didn't mention the money then I would not consider he'd lied.

Oddly, never in the history of football to my knowledge has a player ever said, about a transfer, 'I'm only going there for the money'. So I don't see why we should demand Hendo say this. I can't recall what any of our past signings have said is the reason for joining us, some blather no doubt, but in most cases I would imagine the real reason is 'the club is a good stepping stone to better things' or 'this is the best offer I received'. Should we demand the truth, or are we happy with the lies?

Additionally, if, when he signed for the Arabs, he stated he was only going there for the money there is a fair chance his contract would have been withdrawn. He had to come up with some semi plausible justification for the media. I'm quite relaxed about that. It's a bit like politicians who resign (before they are sacked in many cases) who claim they are doing so 'to spend more time with my family'. It may be true but it is not the reason. And it is accepted that saying "because I think the PM is a **** and my party has gone to the dogs" is not the done thing. Unless you are Sue Ellen Braverman.

Finally, if he were to join us, would you assume he was doing so just for the money?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
To paraphrase Ricky Gervais previoulsy I was woke, but the level it has gone to now has me opposed to it. For pities sake how far is this nonsense going to go. Yeah sure he went to a culture that is opposed to his stated ethics, presumably for the cash. Did he change his opinion No (at least not publicly) News alert as shocking as it may seem many people have the tendency towards varying degrees of hypocrisy and turning the other way, especially when large sums of money are concerned. Stop crying over stuff that doesn't really matter, there are plenty of things far more worrying to be concerned about.
as to the question at hand would he be a good addition to Milner and Lallana? Yes I think he would.
Bit of an overreaction, I'm certainly not crying about it, I just think his decisions says enough about his character that we wouldn't want him here.

1. Being an advocate of LGBT rights and supporter groups, then happily moving to work in a country that executes people in those groups is one thing. Let's be clear here - he wasn't just wearing a rainbow armband over here, he was one of the leading LGBT supportive voices in UK football and an ambassador for LGBT groups

2. Trying to pretend it's about influencing change in that country, rather than just being honest that he wanted a big pay day. I'd have more respect if he was upfront about that.

3. Then supposedly giving up on that mission only half a season in, presumably because (shock!) the football is crap, the stadiums/supporters are crap and the lifestyle is different.

At best, he's extremely thick for not forseeing any of this. More likely, it shows he's willing to a) give up on his morals (and many people who have held him up as a role model) and b) give up a competitive level of football, just for a big pay day - for someone who is already very rich.

Not for me.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You not think he had an inkling of that beforehand? I just don’t think he’s beyond criticism having stressed that part of going as against the dough ……12 or 18 months after going sure….but what’s it been 6/7 months?
As I noted a moment ago, of course he went there for the money, and of course he couldn't say that when interviewed.

Remember when Mrs Merton interviewed Debbie McGhee?

"So, Debbie, what first attracted you to the multi millionaire Paul Daniels?"

I really can't get on my high horse about the motives of others in third part situation (and am concerned only if it is someone lying to me to gain my material favour. Or vote). Hendo is merely an entertainer, who does not play for my club.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
I can't pretend to know what the LGBT groups think of him signing, but I can't think it would be a positive one, I also don't think it's out of place to say it wouldn't go down well in Brighton either given it's links to the community.

I'm not part of any official group, but I'd be so so disappointed if the club brought him in. He was such an advocate of LGBTQ+ rights, not just lip service, but proper support and to just chuck all that away. I'd struggle to wrap my head around it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
With apologies, I was not aware of the lie.

Ne need to apologise darling.

I assume therefore he said 'it has nothing to do with money'. I don't mind him saying he wanted to help grow the game, but if he also claimed he'd go there to do so for no money at all then that would be a lie. If he didn't mention the money then I would not consider he'd lied.

Well obviously he didn't say he'd do it for free, that would be weird, but he did a specific interview about it all (think Diana/Bashir) saying it wasn't about the money. I think the general fan reaction to the interview was 'that's bullshit mate'.

Oddly, never in the history of football to my knowledge has a player ever said, about a transfer, 'I'm only going there for the money'.

Other people have gone there, and we all know why. Hendo stood out because of the nonsense interview. There'll be a thread here about it if you fancy searching.

I can't recall what any of our past signings have said is the reason for joining us, some blather no doubt, but in most cases I would imagine the real reason is 'the club is a good stepping stone to better things' or 'this is the best offer I received'. Should we demand the truth, or are we happy with the lies?

I think sometimes it's best if players just keep quiet. We know we've often been a stepping stone and that's fine - but it's best if players just say they pleased to be here (which they presumably are) and don't say it's their lifelong dream or tell us we're just a stepping stone.

Additionally, if, when he signed for the Arabs, he stated he was only going there for the money there is a fair chance his contract would have been withdrawn.

You need to go check out the interview and reaction as you're just making guesses based on incorrect assumptions (no offence). I also can't see it being possible to cancel a contract if a player said they were going for the money. If they start cancelling contracts for that, players would stop going.

Finally, if he were to join us, would you assume he was doing so just for the money?
Given that we'd be paying a hell of a lot less than in Saudi, and he'd be playing for a better club in a better league in front of more fans, no, obviously not.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't think I've seen anyone else being criticised for taking the money, other than the wasting their talent argument.

People have issues because of his double standards over his comments on supporting the LGBT+ community/Against Qatar then taking the money to go play there and then Lie about it.

I had suspected that much of the mocking of Hendo over his LGBTQ+ 'hypocrisy' has been gleeful, and has come from people who don't support LGBTQ+ rights.

However a quick search on the internet has brought up page after page of articles from people of LGBT or Q background, hammering Hendo for his failure to explain his position, and the apparent support has given, vicariously, to the medieval regime.

So I recant. There appears to be no evidence of honesty and much evidence of hypocrisy at worst, or rank stupidity at best. In view of all this, Hendo can piss off.

Every day is a school day on NSC.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ne need to apologise darling.

Well obviously he didn't say he'd do it for free, that would be weird, but he did a specific interview about it all (think Diana/Bashir) saying it wasn't about the money. I think the general fan reaction to the interview was 'that's bullshit mate'.

Other people have gone there, and we all know why. Hendo stood out because of the nonsense interview. There'll be a thread here about it if you fancy searching.

I think sometimes it's best if players just keep quiet. We know we've often been a stepping stone and that's fine - but it's best if players just say they pleased to be here (which they presumably are) and don't say it's their lifelong dream or tell us we're just a stepping stone.

You need to go check out the interview and reaction as you're just making guesses based on incorrect assumptions (no offence). I also can't see it being possible to cancel a contract if a player said they were going for the money. If they start cancelling contracts for that, players would stop going.

Given that we'd be paying a hell of a lot less than in Saudi, and he'd be playing for a better club in a better league in front of more fans, no, obviously not.
Thanks for your forensic consideration.

I have recanted. See post above. I was wrong.

:thumbsup:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I'd take him in a heartbeat, still an England international, a proven winner and would be perfect on an 18 month contract.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No.

Not improving the team.

As for nurturing younger players, perhaps, but we have Milner, Lallana and Welbeck, plus great ex-pro’s in the background such as Caldy, Crofts and Dicker, so is he required?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
As I noted a moment ago, of course he went there for the money, and of course he couldn't say that when interviewed.

Remember when Mrs Merton interviewed Debbie McGhee?

"So, Debbie, what first attracted you to the multi millionaire Paul Daniels?"

I really can't get on my high horse about the motives of others in third part situation (and am concerned only if it is someone lying to me to gain my material favour. Or vote). Hendo is merely an entertainer, who does not play for my club.
The money was a given …he stressed “growing the game” …I just don’t agree with your comment that he is beyond criticism over that aspect …no high horse here Harry 😉

IMG_1927.jpeg

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I had suspected that much of the mocking of Hendo over his LGBTQ+ 'hypocrisy' has been gleeful, and has come from people who don't support LGBTQ+ rights.

However a quick search on the internet has brought up page after page of articles from people of LGBT or Q background, hammering Hendo for his failure to explain his position, and the apparent support has given, vicariously, to the medieval regime.

So I recant. There appears to be no evidence of honesty and much evidence of hypocrisy at worst, or rank stupidity at best. In view of all this, Hendo can piss off.

Every day is a school day on NSC.
Welcome to the witch hunt, pitchforks on the left

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here