Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jones post match interview

fozzie's paper boy

Aug 20, 2011
Hove
..."I’m going to go home and give my girlfriend a hug. I've not seen her much recently."

Presumably he walks in the door and she says "Nathan Jones, you've been gone too long"....

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Call me a pessimist, but it sounded very much like someone sucking up to everyone he could think of in order to get the job
Sounded nothing like that and i'm one of Jones biggest critics. Give the bloke some credit eh?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Is it available somewhere for non seagull player subscribers? Would like a listen if anyone can post a link?

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
He spoke of the changes we made in personnel during the game and why they were made....some were positive at a time when it was only 1-0..
The players have responded to him (since the 1st 20 mins at Reading).

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
As Warren Aspinal said on commentary, you want players who put their bodies on the line for the club - that seems to be the main thing that has changed in this post SH era, and that eminates from everything Jones says. Passion, belief and he gives a shit what happens, and shows that. I'm sure SH cared, but you wouldn't know it from his interviews, and presumably his team talks. Nice job Nathan.

Last edited:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Call me a pessimist, but it sounded very much like someone sucking up to everyone he could think of in order to get the job

I would guess he knows there is a very real possibility he will lose his job when a new manager comes in.

I hope not. He has shown real potential in the two games he has managed. Maybe he's not ready for the top job yet, but it would be a travesty if he were to be demoted or sacked.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Sounded nothing like that and i'm one of Jones biggest critics. Give the bloke some credit eh?

i'm pleased for him and I'm pleased he wants the job (I questioned why everyone gave him such a hard time a few days ago) but that interview was a box ticking exercise if I ever heard one:

- a "Brighton" performance
- a nod to the fans
- bigging up the players
- talking through all his tactical manouveres
- even throwing on his neglected girlfriend for good measure

Good luck to him, he milked it for everything it's worth

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I would guess he knows there is a very real possibility he will lose his job when a new manager comes in.

I hope not. He has shown real potential in the two games he has managed. Maybe he's not ready for the top job yet, but it would be a travesty if he were to be demoted or sacked.

Possibly, and credit to him tonight but the side kind of picked itself. I would say his biggest master stroke was recalling CMS and O'Grady who both seemed to play their part tonight

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I hadn't heard the score until I got in the car after work - one of the first things i heard was Jones' interview. Very impressed with him - not just his passion but also how we was willing to react to Fulham changing their system.

There's a lot of people wishing him out of the club, but they've yet to put together a convincing argument as to why.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I like him.

To be fair to him, he's had as much coaching/managing experience as Gus had before he was appointed. Albeit Poyets pre-manager experience was at a slightly higher level. Swindon/Leeds/Spurs (Poyet) Vs Yeovil/Charlton/Brighton (Jones).

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
he has passion and so far has shown well and it would not worry me to much if he got the job at least for a few months to see how he goes

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
It was genuinely quite enjoyable listening to the game tonight. Similar to what we saw in the second half the other day, the players have a bit of belief and faith in themselves now. It was very depressing watching the life being sapped out of the club by the previous regime, and at times I couldn't quite believe that what we had worked so hard to build up over the last few years was being undone so quickly. Now we can look forward and hopefully progress into a position of relative safety.

I'm not sure it would be wise to give Jones the job at this stage. On the one hand, it could work well in the same way former player and young manager Gary Rowett has done so well at Birmingham. However, I just think there is far less risk with Hughton. If Jones went on a bad run, I'm a bit wary that dissenters would emerge pretty quickly. Absolutely keep Jones as a central figure in the coaching staff, and give him due consideration when our next manager leaves.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Great interview with Jones. What's really nice is to hear a manager with a real connection and affinity with the club and its fans, and using that passion to create positivity in the team.

What puzzles me is how we've done so badly with Jones being Assistant Manager all season. Surely if he was all that we would have done better because he seemed to do all the instructing from the touchline while Sami was here?

I think we still need an experienced manager because we'll lose some of our loans and will need to replace them. The managers apparently in the frame are all well-rested but also well connected so should hit the ground running.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here