Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Johnson resigns from parliament

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
To be fair to them, being entirely self serving and committed to benefiting themselves without regard for anybody else is a vision of sorts.
An entirely negative and reprehensible vision, but a vision nonetheless.
Yes but it's not a vision that is considered a reason for voting for them. However as I point out, there are sufficient ignorant, gullible cretins out there to prop them up. For the good of the country, the voting system has to change. I'd support any party advocating sich a change (probably ahead of one advocating rejoining the EU).

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Yes but it's not a vision that is considered a reason for voting for them. However as I point out, there are sufficient ignorant, gullible cretins out there to prop them up. For the good of the country, the voting system has to change. I'd support any party advocating sich a change (probably ahead of one advocating rejoining the EU).
Us leaving the EU is a symptom (and to be honest, not one that bothers me much, but I'm not interested in engaging in any of the debates around that on here).
The ability of any party to have a majority by appealing to the niche concerns of about 35% of the population is the source of so much of the shit in our politics.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
^^^ I am not having a go at anyone in saying this.

The troubling thing about “Boris” is the mocking familiarity with the man from the press and public. “Oh it’s just Boris, here’s a photo of him doing something stupid and looking ridiculous. Here’s a video of him rugby tackling a child or failing to zipline.”

There’s an almost loving tone, as if he is some bumbling but ultimately harmless buffoon. The guy was the flippin’ PM. He had the keys to the nuclear deterrent. He was leading the negotiations in the most traumatic trade negotiations since the war. He was overseeing management of an unprecedented pandemic.

He isn’t the harmless town fool. He’s a very dangerous liar who has brought a struggling Tory party to its knees with lies, extremely unethical decision making and poor governance.

I do wish people would lay off this “Boris is a joke” characterisation because he is a very conniving, deliberate man who has politicked his way to power with careful curation of his image.
This is accurate and I fully agree with every point. Thank you.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I cannot imagine Johnson would ever follow anyone else's lead; he never has before......
He was Theresa May’s Foreign Secretary but was obviously doing his own thing all the time anyway.
The security services knew he was a risk, and kept many documents away from him.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
He’ll be back in the same way those cretins who get fired on The Apprentice say in the taxi “Lord Sugar’s not heard the last of me” only to never be seen again come back

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No Conservative has had a political vision for the last 25 years.
of course they have. you might not agree or like them, many have some sort of ideology to fall back on. Johnson has always been devoid of any real agenda, a lite conservative happy to hitch on a bandwagon as he did. then had no idea what to do once in office, hijacked by various fringe players.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
i'm tired of the Johnson is a great politican shtick. he's a cheerleader who got lucky, then floundered through every event. there's a rebuilding on the horizen for the party, it wont be led by Johnson as he has no political vision. away from parliament and party HQ what rallying cry will be heard? he'll be off on the after dinner circuit, probably a stint in US, get a job with some think tank for the kudos.
I agree and think people are making him out to be more intelligent than he really is. I think he has a deep, inbuilt need (probably from childhood) to get himself into trouble. The reason for this is that talking himself out of trouble is one of the things he's good at and something he really enjoys. The more obvious it's really his fault the better as far as he is concerned.

Some people when they reach middle age have some insight into their strengths and weaknesses, how their personality and upbringing can affect their thought processes and decision making, and can adapt and improve. Boris has no insight into this.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Us leaving the EU is a symptom (and to be honest, not one that bothers me much, but I'm not interested in engaging in any of the debates around that on here).
The ability of any party to have a majority by appealing to the niche concerns of about 35% of the population is the source of so much of the shit in our politics.
I agree with you that Brexit is a symptom, but what is it that you think it is a symptom of?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
of course they have. you might not agree or like them, many have some sort of ideology to fall back on. Johnson has always been devoid of any real agenda, a lite conservative happy to hitch on a bandwagon as he did. then had no idea what to do once in office, hijacked by various fringe players.
Thatcher clearly had a vision, which has dominated the Conservative Party ever since, although it has waned in recent years. It even impacted on New Labour, who accepted much of her policy agenda.
Not sure anyone has really broken from Thatcherism with a vision. Brexit is certainly a break from core elements of Thatcherism, but it's ultimately devoid of vision, because it's wallowing in the past.
Who are those with a radical vision in the Tories?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
He’s not a skilled politician at all. Nor is he particular clever. He thought he knew how to play the game but he missed one vital component; he couldn’t keep people onside.

It’s feasible to be a dumb dumb and fudge your way through power on the back of the old boy network as long as you’re not throwing the old boys under the bus as you barge through.

It will always be the undoing of egotistical galumphs like Johnson. They start to believe they got there by themselves, that they can survive on their own wits.

Once the supports struts go, it all comes crashing down.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Really. What vision?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I agree with you that Brexit is a symptom, but what is it that you think it is a symptom of?
For me, British / English exceptionalism.

The idea that the rules don’t apply to us because we’re British / English. It’s everywhere. British people moving abroad are “ex-pats” with TV shows based around helping them do it, whereas people moving to Britain are “immigrants” and demonised. Imagine if a German enclave like Benidorm existed in Essex, there’d be riots. Then there’s the idea that we Brits were being somehow “controlled” by Brussels, ignoring that a country like Poland (which has spent centuries fighting most European powers for the right to exist as a nation) are quite happy within it.

Look at the attitudes to many other things; Eurovision, foreign language films, European football, all of it shows an arrogance by the British (as a collective, not everyone individually and don’t bother replying to tell me it’s not you because I don’t care), ranging from “those silly foreigners, what are they like?” through to “This is awful, why are we sullying ourselves with this foreign rubbish?”.

Even in Brexit there’s a level of outrage that “the rules” are applying to us. How dare they cause queues at Dover? Why can’t I use the fast track passport queue? Why isn’t everyone falling over themselves to give us a trade deal?

Imagine for a moment that Brexit had been Frexit, and we’d sat and watched the French spit their dummy out, act like toddlers and threaten us directly for “being awkward”, those who push Brexit would be furious. How dare they? Who do they think they are? Who won the bloody war anyway?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thatcher clearly had a vision, which has dominated the Conservative Party ever since, although it has waned in recent years. It even impacted on New Labour, who accepted much of her policy agenda.
Not sure anyone has really broken from Thatcherism with a vision. Brexit is certainly a break from core elements of Thatcherism, but it's ultimately devoid of vision, because it's wallowing in the past.
Who are those with a radical vision in the Tories?
it really wasnt a "there's these great visionary Tories" point, it was about Johnson not having anything to work with. just latch on to one popular cause at the time.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It’s feasible to be a dumb dumb and fudge your way through power on the back of the old boy network as long as you’re not throwing the old boys under the bus as you barge through.
Exhibit A - David Cameron

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here