[Politics] Johnson resigns from parliament

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Let’s hope he has gone forever……… somehow I doubt it.

He heard we may be looking for a No 1 apparently :dunce:

IMG_0626.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: A1X

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
^^^ I am not having a go at anyone in saying this.

The troubling thing about “Boris” is the mocking familiarity with the man from the press and public. “Oh it’s just Boris, here’s a photo of him doing something stupid and looking ridiculous. Here’s a video of him rugby tackling a child or failing to zipline.”

There’s an almost loving tone, as if he is some bumbling but ultimately harmless buffoon. The guy was the flippin’ PM. He had the keys to the nuclear deterrent. He was leading the negotiations in the most traumatic trade negotiations since the war. He was overseeing management of an unprecedented pandemic.

He isn’t the harmless town fool. He’s a very dangerous liar who has brought a struggling Tory party to its knees with lies, extremely unethical decision making and poor governance.

I do wish people would lay off this “Boris is a joke” characterisation because he is a very conniving, deliberate man who has politicked his way to power with careful curation of his image.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Hugh Muir's pithy summary of both Johnson's departure and his (dis)honours list cuts through the bluster and obfuscation.

Here's an extract:

"If nothing became Boris Johnson more than the manner of his leaving No 10, nothing says more about the political rot he accelerated than the honours list that trails behind him and his announcement on Friday night that he will quit parliament having been told he faces ignominious suspension.

To scan the list that was perhaps his final act in frontline politics is to relive the era of cronyism and maladministration that he inflicted on the country. It redefined the very idea of honours as a reward for public service, replacing it with the sort of cheap favour you bestow on friends by buying them a seaside hat or a round in the pub.

Priti Patel, who took the Tory hostile environment badge of shame and wore it as a badge of honour, who as home secretary presided over a degradation of policing that has become a crisis of public trust becomes a dame. Jacob Rees-Mogg, chief apologist for the chaos and deficiencies of the Johnson years in government, gets a knighthood.

Amid the continuing search for answers as to why the response of his administration to Covid was so poor, Johnson unveils a list containing honours and preferment for some of his aides who allegedly joined him at No 10 in ignoring the safety rules they had imposed on the rest of the population. If they partied then, they will party even harder now."

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...tening-shoddy-honours-list-and-it-becomes-him

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

The troubling thing about “Boris” is the mocking familiarity with the man from the press and public. “Oh it’s just Boris, here’s a photo of him doing something stupid and looking ridiculous. Here’s a video of him rugby tackling a child or failing to zipline.”

There’s an almost loving tone, as if he is some bumbling but ultimately harmless buffoon. The guy was the flippin’ PM. He had the keys to the nuclear deterrent. He was leading the negotiations in the most traumatic trade negotiations since the war. He was overseeing management of an unprecedented pandemic.

He isn’t the harmless town fool. He’s a very dangerous liar who has brought a struggling Tory party to its knees with lies, extremely unethical decision making and poor governance.

I do wish people would lay off this “Boris is a joke” characterisation because he is a very conniving, deliberate man who has politicked his way to power with careful curation of his image.
The guy was an over-enabled dimwit, pure and simple. He was our Trump. Both disgusting low-lifes who are only now starting to be held to account. Utter SHAME on all those who ever enabled them in the first place

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The guy was an over-enabled dimwit, pure and simple. He was our Trump. Both disgusting low-lifes who are only now starting to be held to account. Utter SHAME on all those who ever enabled them in the first place
You’ve rather missed the point I was making I fear.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Good post. I differ in that the Tory party wasn't struggling when they turned to Johnson -- they'd secured the largest party representation three times by that point and, in the only election he had as PM, he increased that majority.
Doesn't say much for either the electorate, or the voting system in my book.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
No I’m just playing around. Let’s hope he has gone forever……… somehow I doubt it.
Thanks.... and sadly I agree with your last sentiment.

Shockingly I also find myself agreeing with the Brexit loving Isabel Oakeshott (for the first time) on this matter.....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Shockingly I also find myself agreeing with the Brexit loving Isabel Oakeshott (for the first time) on this matter.....

i'm tired of the Johnson is a great politican shtick. he's a cheerleader who got lucky, then floundered through every event. there's a rebuilding on the horizen for the party, it wont be led by Johnson as he has no political vision. away from parliament and party HQ what rallying cry will be heard? he'll be off on the after dinner circuit, probably a stint in US, get a job with some think tank for the kudos.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
i'm tired of the Johnson is a great politican shtick. he's a cheerleader who got lucky, then floundered through every event. there's a rebuilding on the horizen for the party, it wont be led by Johnson as he has no political vision. away from parliament and party HQ what rallying cry will be heard? he'll be off on the after dinner circuit, probably a stint in US, get a job with some think tank for the kudos.
All correct and the red tops can ridicule or rally behind every 3/4 months for ever more.

‘84 year old ex Prime Minister Boris Johnson has not ruled out a return to top line politics, he said today at the birth of his 18th child.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No Conservative has had a political vision for the last 25 years.

Unless you count harmful austerity (whilst trebling the national debt) or if attempting to heal your own party by dividing the country with a referendum on a damaging economic policy counts as a political vision.

I wish they'd all just f*** off and never be seen again. That's my political vision. Ideally by implementing a fair voting system that doesn't reward the 20% of the electorate who are fanatical, ignorant right wing simpletons by allowing them to install utter f***ing morons in all positions of power and authority.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Goodness, I really hope you are right... He certainly is no great politician, but he is a successful cult leader and consummate chancer. I try not to speculate on the future but fear he is constitutionally unable to leave politics entirely.....

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
No Conservative has had a political vision for the last 25 years.

Unless you count harmful austerity (whilst trebling the national debt) or if attempting to heal your own party by dividing the country with a referendum on a damaging economic policy counts as a political vision.

I wish they'd all just f*** off and never be seen again. That's my political vision. Ideally by implementing a fair voting system that doesn't reward the 20% of the electorate who are fanatical, ignorant right wing simpletons by allowing them to install utter f***ing morons in all positions of power and authority.
To be fair to them, being entirely self serving and committed to benefiting themselves without regard for anybody else is a vision of sorts.
An entirely negative and reprehensible vision, but a vision nonetheless.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I wonder if her bloke will offer him something in the Reform Party?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports