Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Johnny Russell

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Russell started off well scoring lots and then the goals dried up. Not as skillful or as quick as Lualua and did not look up to much to me.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I agree with...

you!

I don't agree with that bit though. Get promoted and other players can also get wage increases.

I'm not saying it's black and white. I'm saying it's a risk. A risk that CH could manage by ruling out a billy big bollox who wouldn't fit in, and ensuring they integrate and buy into the whole team spirit thing. Whether such a striker is landable in January I don't know, but I think it's now worth aiming for.

PG

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If it's reserve Derby strikers we're after I'd rather have Vydra.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
If there is any truth in this, Hughton must be looking at him as a striker to challenge Baldock. I don't think he'd be in front of Knockaert, March or Murphy as a winger (I class Skalak as a right midfield player rather than winger). By all accounts he is a good team man, which is a big thing at our club, so I can see why we're linked. He looks quick enough.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I'd say this was very unlikely, just can't see how he'd improve a top 2 side? Not a bad championship player but never a premier league player so it would seem a very odd choice.

In a nutshell, quick & hard working capable of the odd belter but too often fails to deliver and makes poor decisions.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd say this was very unlikely, just can't see how he'd improve a top 2 side? Not a bad championship player but never a premier league player so it would seem a very odd choice.

In a nutshell, quick & hard working capable of the odd belter but too often fails to deliver and makes poor decisions.
My word of caution would be that some players just blossom under some managers and not others. We've seen it so often down here. The other thing to note is that I'd rather have a Derby fringe player stepping in than a six month loan signing, and if he isn't good enough to challenge for a match day position, that would be the situation.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I always find the readers comments at the bottom of the game quite telling when local papers run stories like this. And none of them think he's up to it

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
My word of caution would be that some players just blossom under some managers and not others. We've seen it so often down here. The other thing to note is that I'd rather have a Derby fringe player stepping in than a six month loan signing, and if he isn't good enough to challenge for a match day position, that would be the situation.

Yeah, of course and I think you've got to give a lot of credit to Hughton - I don't think Brighton have a top 2 squad necessarily but Hughton is (obviously) making it look that way so who knows! One big positive with Russell is that he appears to bea great dressing room character, and that's always a good thing....

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yeah, of course and I think you've got to give a lot of credit to Hughton - I don't think Brighton have a top 2 squad necessarily but Hughton is (obviously) making it look that way so who knows! One big positive with Russell is that he appears to bea great dressing room character, and that's always a good thing....

Ah well that explains our interest right there I suspect. For better or worse, we've never signed uber-expensive players. We won't be in for a Jordan Rhodes type player to get us over the line, but squad players with good attitudes who ultimately improve the squad (even if only marginally), well Hughton is all over that type of player.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Could be wrong, but I cannot think of any reason we would want him.

I can think of 1 reason:-

Hughton wants him - do you need any more reasons?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I can think of 1 reason:-

Hughton wants him - do you need any more reasons?

And that is good enough for me.
Realistically I don't see us dropping a wedge on a superstar striker, Russell sounds exactly the sort of player Hughton would like, ideal to fill in for Baldock or offer a different formation option.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here