Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Whittingdale...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If that's really her then the boy done good !

Frankly I couldn't care less who he has shagged, who he's shagging now or who he plans to shag in the future. That's his business not mine. Non-story and if this is the best Labour can jump on then they have a VERY long way to become a government again.

Couldn't care less too, but it won't do him any good just further damage to MP and ministers standing.

A point is if it comprimises his ability to do his job its a totally different discussion, and it has.

The Eagle is right, he should go but he won't..

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Couldn't care less too, but it won't do him any good just further damage to MP and ministers standing.

A point is if it comprimises his ability to do his job its a totally different discussion, and it has.

The Eagle is right, he should go but he won't..

I've seen no evidence that any of his decisions have been compromised because of this. Care to provide the evidence ?

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
this story makes me sad. what a poor state of politics we have when the opposition start a campaign because something wasn't reported and we vilify the press for respecting someones privacy. he wasn't even Culture Secretary at the time, but you wouldn't know that from the way the story is reported today. apparently he is "vulnerable to pressure from the press" when this affair wasn't a secret just not published. so much for the new politics.

Question is though, do you seriously believe that pretty much the entire UK press genuinely decided that they would not cover such a story (involving exactly the kind of opportunities for purient detail that they know sells papers) because of a respect for privacy and the lack of a 'public interest' case?

Of COURSE it's his business. Of COURSE it shouldn't be a story.

And personally I would be very happy if our press was grown up enough to consistently take a view that 'single adults having relationships with whoever they want' is not our business and not appropriate for publication.

But that is hardly the way they usually carry on is it?

So don't be fooled by all the attempts to distract us with fruity pictures. The question that is at the heart of the story is 'why did they not publish this story'?

And so far I haven't heard a convincing, believable answer

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Circumstantial evidence relies on inference rather than fact.

You said he wasn't compromised. He was. The moment the press had the story and chose not to publish. Read the article that was scanned and posted.

You sound very much like Sean Dyche defending Joey Barton.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I've seen no evidence that any of his decisions have been compromised because of this. Care to provide the evidence ?

Print media is on its knees, they are terrified of regulation. You scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours. Yes a non-story, not in the public interest....

If it were JC playing with an ex-Hooker do you think the Sun would do the same? Even yesterday the story was completely absent from some papers, or its that that self regulation?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You said he wasn't compromised. He was. The moment the press had the story and chose not to publish. Read the article that was scanned and posted.

You sound very much like Sean Dyche defending Joey Barton.

Thank you for that.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
To give another perspective from the one I put above, and having thought a bit more and talked to an ex-tabloid hack colleague, it is perfectly possible that the papers decided, independently, to back off from the story without any external pressure. that would not necesssarily reflect well on the papers themselves, but would mean that Whittingdale and the government cannot be held to blame.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
To give another perspective from the one I put above, and having thought a bit more and talked to an ex-tabloid hack colleague, it is perfectly possible that the papers decided, independently, to back off from the story without any external pressure. that would not necesssarily reflect well on the papers themselves, but would mean that Whittingdale and the government cannot be held to blame.

That's my opinion, but I have been accused of condoning thuggery.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
There is a case to answer, and the press don't come out looking good almost whatever the answers really are (but what's new). I am conceding though that there is at least one possible answer that lets Whittingdale off the hook.

And even if not, he may consider it was worth it!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

i agree, I think the decision not to publish was taken by the press whether independently or not. I don't believe for one minute that Whittingdale or the Government put pressure on them, I'm not sure many people suggest this. The papers have something sleazy on someone who is in now in charge of looking at regulation of them, including not pushing forward with reforms recommended under Leveson. He was not just an MP, he was vice chairman of the 1922 committee, had been shadow minister for Culture. He would, in anybodies eyes, be a good politician to have in your pocket.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Links to an oligarch chum of Putin.

All sounds very dodgy and he probably has to go now.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
If the papers are half right this is fast becomming profumo mark 2

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Press seems to have been looking into links his ex girlfriend could have had to Russian Intelligence agencies.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
CEt85VoWgAAVqGd.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here