Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Whittingdale...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm glad you have such a high opinion of the press in despite what is starring you in the face!

i have a very low opinion of the press. so low i do not believe half a dozen colluded to suppress a story. i am a little surprised it didn't popup, but just suppose there's so little to the original story it didn't warrant the column inches.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Hmm, call me an old cynic, but I doubt Murdochs attack dogs would have been quite as understanding had it been Corbyn, or even Eagle

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Hmm, call me an old cynic, but I doubt Murdochs attack dogs would have been quite as understanding had it been Corbyn, or even Eagle

That depends on whether they wanted immediate sales or perhaps wanted to keep it for when it might bear more fruit and can be used as a little 'leverage'!!!

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
It's not the affair or the nature of the affair that's the issue. Pathetic 'affairs' tales aren't the news stories they once were.

However, as the article points out, it leaves any given person open to undue influence from certain sections of the media - and this is a much bigger issue if you're the Secretary of Culture, Media & Sport, one of whose main remits is the print media and its behaviour.

Just like Keith Vaz, ex Europe Minister caught taking money and now head of the Commons Select Committee, lecturing others on how they should behave. If you havn't worked out that nothing is as it seems and all politicians lie, irrespective of their colour, you need to wise up. Clearly this affair should have been front page news keeping items such as the EU vote, terror on the continent, the farcical reporting of the steel industry and a Eurozone plunging into recession off the front page. :ffsparr:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
She seems like a sweet girl......

attachment.php

If that's really her then the boy done good !

Frankly I couldn't care less who he has shagged, who he's shagging now or who he plans to shag in the future. That's his business not mine. Non-story and if this is the best Labour can jump on then they have a VERY long way to become a government again.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Just like Keith Vaz, ex Europe Minister caught taking money and now head of the Commons Select Committee, lecturing others on how they should behave. If you havn't worked out that nothing is as it seems and all politicians lie, irrespective of their colour, you need to wise up. Clearly this affair should have been front page news keeping items such as the EU vote, terror on the continent, the farcical reporting of the steel industry and a Eurozone plunging into recession off the front page. :ffsparr:

No, it's not like Keith Vaz taking money. That was illegal.

No-one is saying Whittingdale did anything wrong by having an affair with a sex worker - as he says himself it's more embarrassing than wrong, and I agree (though it did leave him open to the possibility of blackmail - though not now). But as I've already said - that's not the story here.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The word affair seems to imply adultery or unfaithfulness. He was a single bloke who met a female via Match.com. He went out with her etc. He found out she was a sex worker and dumped her.

Some time later he becomes a minister. Now all of a sudden, there's a conspiracy theory about why the press didn't run with the 'story'.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

You are aware there are plenty of pages in a newspaper, doesn't have to be on the front page. Also, could be a few paragraphs on an online version.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
A very interesting article in Private Eye leads me to think that there could very well have been some underhand practices going on.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
we the public can be a cycnical bunch and are entitled to. what i find myself appalled by is the reaction to it by his peers. do they have such a low opinion of their fellow MP that they assume the most probable reason for this not being published was to hold something over him? and such a low rent issue, dating someone who has a less reputable job, is that enough to make you "vulnerable to pressure"? there's no substance that there has been any impropriaty, just an immediate implication from by political opponents there must be, stick a knife in. i'd have hoped they'd be more circumspect, there but for the grace of god etc.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Circumstantial evidence. Whittingdale finished with her, once he knew she was a sex worker. He wasn't compromised. The press go for easy targets not junior MPs. There wasn't a 'prostitution scandal' as that article is sensationally trying to say.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Circumstantial evidence. Whittingdale finished with her, once he knew she was a sex worker. He wasn't compromised. The press go for easy targets not junior MPs. There wasn't a 'prostitution scandal' as that article is sensationally trying to say.

Head in the sand!!!

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
The latest edition of Private Eye

that is an interesting new light on the matter. though given the chronology of the reporting, i remain disheartened at how quickly Engles and Byrant threw Whittingdale under the bus. normally MPs are reacting to the news cycle, here they appear to be ahead. which makes one wonder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here