Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] John Terry

Should Big JT have been in Brazil?

• Total voters

D

Deleted member 2719

Yes, Terry like him or loathe him he is world class, our central defence scares me, saying that i don't rate Johnson either.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
A yes from me, and he would probably have popped up to score the winning goal in both matches.

And I don't like him either.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, Terry like him or loathe him he is world class, our central defence scares me, saying that i don't rate Johnson either.

Why no mention of Baines? He was awful in defence in both games. Allegedly amazing going forward, but international defences cope well against players of his class, but vitally he's not a great defender. - surely that's his number one duty.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I have been saying for ages Baines cannot do what his prime job is that is to defend. With Ashley Cole and John Terry in the side we wouldnt have lost either game. Totally down to Hodgson being inept and bowing to the press.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As I have been saying for ages Baines cannot do what his prime job is that is to defend. With Ashley Cole and John Terry in the side we wouldnt have lost either game. Totally down to Hodgson being inept and bowing to the press.

Baines scoring long range free-kicks and whipping in crosses for Everton, means little for England. He is not an outstanding defender, with Uruguay and especially Italy destroying Baines. No one ever did that against Cole.

D

Deleted member 2719

Why no mention of Baines? He was awful in defence in both games. Allegedly amazing going forward, but international defences cope well against players of his class, but vitally he's not a great defender. - surely that's his number one duty.

I suppose it is because i think Baines is good enough and will improve. Cahill may improve also, but Jagielka and Johnson are just not up to it.

I'd like to see Gerrard or Lampard drop in with a younger faster centre back, it would be like a stroll in the park for them.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In today's Sun Tony Adams slates Hodginson for not taking who he thinks are the two best defenders in the Premier League, exactly what I have been saying. Every effort should have been made to get Terry out of international retirement and to go there and Ashley Cole who is still the best left back in the country at defending.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Neither Terry or Cole could have been as bad as Baines and Jagielka and we should have stuck with them until we had players proven to be better, which they were not as neither can defend.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Curtis Davies should have been in the team

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Neither Terry or Cole could have been as bad as Baines and Jagielka and we should have stuck with them until we had players proven to be better, which they were not as neither can defend.

Terry is soiled goods, Ashley Cole on the other hand should have gone. Baines much heralded dead ball delivery and crosses have failed to materialise so we might as well have taken Cole as at least he has pace.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Terry is soiled goods, Ashley Cole on the other hand should have gone. Baines much heralded dead ball delivery and crosses have failed to materialise so we might as well have taken Cole as at least he has pace.

Couldn't understand why most of the dead ball situations ended up with Gerrard taking them. His delivery was absolute crap and we missed a Captain's performance in both games. All the Liverpool players went missing in the second game against Uraguay especially the midfield of Henderson, Gerrard and Sterling and that's where the game was lost.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The poll question and that posed y the op are slightly different.

1)Would England have done better with Terry in the team: Yes, they probably would. He is a much better player than Jagielka and a better leader/organiser than anyone that was in England's back 4. It's very hard to imagine that Suarez's second goal would have been scored were Terry playing. Possibly Suarez's first and Italy's second might not have been conceded, though that is debatable.

2) Should Terry have been in Brazil: no, he shouldn't. There is too much baggage that is poisonous around Terry and the England team. His inclusion in the team would have opened up a whole lot of wounds/issues that would swirl around and distract form the job in hand.

I do think Hodgson made a mistake in not taking Cole, though. He is, in my opinion, still England's best left back and in an England shirt has none of the baggage of Terry. That aside, its just about as good a squad as he could have taken. It's just a shame that some criminally poor defending has sent us home five days after starting.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
England has been spoilt in the last 15 years with some truly World Class centre backs including Terry, Woodgate, Campbell, King & Ferdinand. But the supply has run out. Jagielka was way out of his comfort zone, Cahill was not that much better. Terry would have made a difference on the pitch, but it would have been impossible to bring him.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Didn't make an impact in previous tournaments so don't see why this one would have been any different.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here